Need Perfect Gift? Shop Amazon Gift Cards. Any Occasion.

Author Topic: Best Bang For The Buck Used Kindle E-Reader?  (Read 381 times)  

Offline kindlecollector

• View Profile
Best Bang For The Buck Used Kindle E-Reader?
« on: November 16, 2017, 09:54:17 PM »
Of course this is dependent on your wants and needs.  With 4 GB memory, wi-fi and 3G communications capability and either list or grid view of contents available with the latest firmware the Kindle Touch in 3G and Wi-Fi seems to me to be a best buy.  No illumination and it does not have the new wider selection of fonts or the bolding choices for those fonts but it does have built in text to voice capability, the last Kindle e-reader to do so I believe.  Also in a dry climate I find the infrared touch screen to work more reliably than the later capacitive touch screens.  The 3G and Wi-fi capability means that you can get a book almost anywhere rather than having to find a wi-fi hot spot which is good for travelers.  Best of all I see them show up on ebay for circa $35 with shipping.  Less for some without 3G communications.  As typical of ebay prices vary all over the map.

What is your choice for a best buy Kindle reader based on price versus performance?

Offline northofdivision

• Chicago
    • View Profile
Re: Best Bang For The Buck Used Kindle E-Reader?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 10:22:41 PM »
That K4/baby Kindle (Black or Grey) is one heck of a deal these days. i've seen them on ebay as low as 16-20 dollars. Not having a touch screen layer or a light layer makes the screen really pop. Size, weight, height, its pretty amazing. That and the ease in which you can put personalized screensavers on it and adjust the margins (you can have it true edge to edge) so there is no blank space for reading and if you lose it, no big deal because it's so cheap. Of all the Kindles, it's still a wonderful device. The only Kindle of the many iterations people with small hands could use one handed without ever having to move your hand and turn the pages by just putting some pressure squeezing your thumb. Long live the K4!!!
Stanley
=====
Blackberry KeyOne, Ipad Air2
Kindle 2,3G,4,PW2, Voyage, Oasis
Kobo HD Glo, Kobo Aura One 8", Sony 5" PRS-350 w/multi-font/Zork hack

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline kindlecollector

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 11:14:38 PM »
K4 and K5 (Grey or black) both great buys too.  I went for the KT due to still having audio support, having 4 GB and being available with 3G communications.  I have both those and the KT , both in virtually cherry condition and see very little difference in screen contrast.  Both have the e-ink Pearl screen.  In fact I see little sharpness difference between them and the current 300 DPI screens on the top 4 current Kindle e-readers.  Of course my eyes are now 73 years old.  ::)   Amazon still even has some of the swing out arm lighted cases to fit them at reasonable prices I noted the other day.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 11:17:26 PM by kindlecollector »

Offline kindlecollector

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 12:22:28 PM »
K4 and K5 (Grey or black) both great buys too.  I went for the KT due to still having audio support, having 4 GB and being available with 3G communications.  I have both those and the KT , both in virtually cherry condition and see very little difference in screen contrast.  Both have the e-ink Pearl screen.  In fact I see little sharpness difference between them and the current 300 DPI screens on the top 4 current Kindle e-readers.  Of course my eyes are now 73 years old.  ::)   Amazon still even has some of the swing out arm lighted cases to fit them at reasonable prices I noted the other day.

I just spotted and grabbed a NOS K5 (Black bezel) on enay for $20 + shipping.  A BIN listing.  Box unsealed but includes all original items and the seller claims it is opened but never even powered up.

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac