Author Topic: Need troubleshooting... can you help?  (Read 320 times)  

Offline HistoryGal

• View Profile
Need troubleshooting... can you help?
« on: November 16, 2017, 10:47:52 PM »
Hello everyone,
First of all let me thank you in advance for reading my post, and if you possibly have an answer to my query I will do a happy dance!  I have a Kindle Paperwhite, not sure what version other than it works on wifi and certainly off wifi to be able to read my books.  For 3 or 4 years it has worked flawlessly.... but I purchased 2 Kindle books from Amazon and downloaded them to my Kindle.... the title is there, it says it is downloaded.... but the letters are grayed out.  I can't seem to open the books, I can't delete them from my Kindle...

All of the other books I have on my Kindle open and work fine... just the two new ones.... I tried re-booting my Kindle, didn't do anything to help.  I have looked on YouTube, general search for help...looked on Amazon for help... no joy. 

Anyone out there with ideas on how to either delete these from my Kindle and start over (I paid for them, and my card is active) I have run through my techy knowledge here.  Any help is sincerely appreciated!

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
Re: Need troubleshooting... can you help?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 04:02:38 AM »
It sounds to me like there was a hiccup in the download and they're not really all there. I have had occasions where the book comes down with just a generic cover at first; eventually, though, the whole thing is there and the cover is visible. Some things to try:

Re-send them from Amazon.
Maybe just forcing a sync -- being sure your wireless signal is strong.
Toggle wireless off and then back on.
"Forget" and then re-enter the password for your network.

If you can't make them work, and it's less than 7 day since you bought (I'm assuming they're Amazon purchases) you could just return them and then sync the device. That should do it. They try buying again if you want.

If it's more than 7 days and you can't make them work, contact Kindle CS and explain the problem. They may be able to help you troubleshoot, or ask them to refund the money for the books that aren't working.

(BTW, going to move this thread to our Tips/Tricks/Troubleshooting forum. :) )

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline HistoryGal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 07:39:18 AM »
 :)
Thank you for your reply!  I did check my wifi, it was strong... and worked on the sync.... finally when I went through everything else, I turned my Kindle off again and rebooted it.... That finally did the trick!  Instead of my new book saying "downloaded" it said "queued"... Yay!  It finished downloading and I was finally able to begin reading!

I appreciate the opportunity to have a forum where one can find help!  Awesome!  Happy History Gal here!  :) ;D

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 12:31:45 PM »
Often a restart/reboot is the fix . . . the only reason I didn't mention it is that you said you'd tried it. But maybe you needed to reset all the other stuff to clear out whatever stray byte was the problem and then the reboot took care of it.

Technology! :D

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR