KB Featured
Flight of the Tarantula Hawk
by Michael Allan Scott

$0.99
Kindle Edition published 2014-02-10
Bestseller ranking: 4698

Product Description
On the IndieReader Best Book list and featured on NBC's Daytime Show, the second book in the Lance Underphal Mystery series is part of a new breed of supernatural thrillers which can be read and enjoyed in any order. Dark, different, featuring a damaged psychic, this is one of those disturbing novels that keeps you guessing.

Download the sample or use the "Look inside" feature for a FREE E-book offer.

Supernatural Murder Mystery - Realtor Carla Simon has her first showing in nearly eighteen months. Recovering from a nervous breakdown, she arrives at the bank-owned foreclosure well ahead of her prospect. When her buyer pins her against the wall, it turns out to be the last house she'll ever show.

Looking for a new breed of supernatural thrillers? Paranormal mysteries of murder and suspense? Perhaps a psychic detective series which can be read and enjoyed in any order? Or maybe one of t...

Author Topic: Short Fiction (15K) Marketing Suggestions?  (Read 640 times)  

Offline Deke

• View Profile
Short Fiction (15K) Marketing Suggestions?
« on: November 19, 2017, 04:27:09 PM »
I haven't tried to publish a short piece before, but have a 15K-word superhero genre ready to rock. Any best practices on how to distribute, price, market?  Should I wait to write a few more and create an anthology? Does first-free work for short fiction?

Dale Kutzera | Website

Online she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
Re: Short Fiction (15K) Marketing Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 04:59:56 AM »
As far as I know there isn't any place that takes short fiction. Or possibly just no site which is effective. To be honest, I don't think short fiction, even in collections (anthologies are for multiple authors), is a viable time use. This is not to say you can't try it, but just to be aware it's not likely to sell well, or even lead into your other books. I hate that, but in almost seven years, this has been my experience from my own work and from looking at others' results. Yes, there are exceptions, before someone jumps in and lauds the outlier.
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Offline C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 05:05:04 AM »
I'd see if a sci fi magazine would buy it.

Offline dgaughran

• Dublin
  • Let's Get Digital
    • View Profile
    • David Gaughran
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 05:09:53 AM »
Tough to make money from something that short. Might be better to use it as a reader magnet.

David Gaughran | mailing list | blog | website | facebook | twitter
LET'S GET DIGITAL 2 Free for purchasers of the 1st edition! Instructions here

Online BillyDeCarlo

• View Profile
    • Billy DeCarlo, Author
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 05:11:33 AM »
You might try to start putting them out on Patreon and get some traction and try to build a following there.
SPED-BOT, DroidMesh Book I: 5%

LOVE-BOT, DroidMesh Book II: 0%

DEATH-BOT, DroidMesh Book III: 0%
Vigilante Angels Series Books I, II, III all available on Amazon!
Billy DeCarlo | Website/blog | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Amazon | BookBub | Goodreads | LibraryThing | Pronoun | Patreon

Offline alawston

• London
  • London-based writer and actor
    • View Profile
    • Andrew K Lawston's intermittent blogular adventures
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 05:15:20 AM »
There are indie anthologies that accept work of that length. If you get a good one, it might be worthwhile. I'm not aware of any in the superhero genre right now, but I'm sure there will be one about somewhere.

Broadly comic writer working across as many genres as he can. Acting done.
Andrew Lawston | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Deke

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 09:11:35 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into Patreon. I have looked at the handful of magazines that still publish fiction and don't believe that road would be worth spending any time on.

Dale Kutzera | Website

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 09:18:32 AM »
There are indie anthologies that accept work of that length. If you get a good one, it might be worthwhile. I'm not aware of any in the superhero genre right now, but I'm sure there will be one about somewhere.
I'll second that motion. It's hard to get traction with a short work anymore. Five years ago, they could be used as free samples, but with all the free books and $0.99 box sets, a free or $0.99 short story isn't going to attract much attention.

However, anthologies have a certain cross-promotional value. I've seen increases in traffic after being involved in one of those. People may pick up the anthology for one of the other authors, find your work, and like it.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 12:47:44 PM »
The Antiterrorist is 15K. I use it as the reader magnet for my newsletter.

I published it in September of 2015. I sell it for 99 cents on Amazon. It's had 939 sales, 27K page reads (before it went wide), and 1,127 downloads on BookFunnel.

Hope that's useful data.

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Tizzy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 01:30:04 PM »
The Antiterrorist is 15K. I use it as the reader magnet for my newsletter.

I published it in September of 2015. I sell it for 99 cents on Amazon. It's had 939 sales, 27K page reads (before it went wide), and 1,127 downloads on BookFunnel.

Hope that's useful data.

If it works as a reader magnet for a newsletter then it should also attract some attention as a free on Amazon, shouldn't it? I'm also thinking of writing some short fiction and give it away to get readers, so it's something I'm interested in.

Offline C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 02:21:49 PM »

The anthologies I've been in have worked well as series starters and/or income generators (it depends on the goal of the anthology.) The key is getting into an antho with good organizer and having clear expectations. Is the antho to earn? Or is it to be a lead in to your series? How does the organizer plan to promote it? Will it be in KU? Will it be wide? Who else will be in the anthology? Is their writing and yours a good fit?

Anthologies are BookBub eligible. I've been in two that have been promoted by the 'Bub, and day-yam it is nice when that happens. So many leads .... mmm ....

You can always organize an anthology yourself if no one is starting one.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 02:25:30 PM by C. Gockel »

I write books about Change, Chaos, and Loki
C. Gockel | facebook | tumblr | website

Offline Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 02:34:55 PM »
Five of my books are shorter than that.  Three are non-fiction and two are fiction.  They don't sell a lot...but a few do sell and mine have been great for giving away on KU free days.

ETA:  Wasn't someone advertising a superhero anthology not too long ago?  Maybe that was on Facebook.   ::)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 03:07:41 PM by Lorri Moulton »

Author of Romances, Mysteries, Fairytales and Historical Non-Fiction.
Lorri Moulton | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Evenstar

• UK
  • YA and PNR
    • View Profile
    • Author Website
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 02:49:17 PM »
The book in my signature this month is only 7k words.

It's free, but I use it all over the place in a multitude of ways. It has links at the end to all my other books, and to my mailing list. It goes on Wattpad to bring attention to my other works. I could use it on instafreebie to drive mailing list sign ups, I'm sure it's been in an anthology or two for cross promo before, and I just changed the back matter so that it gives a link to my newest release as soon as someone finishes it.

All very useful! Don't dismiss the advantages of a short story  ;D

Offline Tizzy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 02:52:14 PM »
The book in my signature this month is only 7k words.

It's free, but I use it all over the place in a multitude of ways. It has links at the end to all my other books, and to my mailing list. It goes on Wattpad to bring attention to my other works. I could use it on instafreebie to drive mailing list sign ups, I'm sure it's been in an anthology or two for cross promo before, and I just changed the back matter so that it gives a link to my newest release as soon as someone finishes it.

All very useful! Don't dismiss the advantages of a short story  ;D

How did you get it to be permafree? I want to do the same (ie, have a few tales for free on amazon, wattpad, instafreebie) but afaik permafree isn't possible anymore. Is this still true?

Offline Deke

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 03:04:04 PM »
How does a writer find an anthology to be part of?  Didn't Amazon have a "shorts" feature?

Dale Kutzera | Website

Offline Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2017, 03:09:33 PM »
How does a writer find an anthology to be part of?  Didn't Amazon have a "shorts" feature?

You might want to start a new thread asking if anyone is planning an anthology that might be a good fit.  Superheroes, short fantasy, maybe something for Christmas?  Just an idea.

Author of Romances, Mysteries, Fairytales and Historical Non-Fiction.
Lorri Moulton | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter

Online BillyDeCarlo

• View Profile
    • Billy DeCarlo, Author
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2017, 03:51:12 PM »

You're probably thinking about Kindle Singles, but I think it's been said here that they are winding it down.
SPED-BOT, DroidMesh Book I: 5%

LOVE-BOT, DroidMesh Book II: 0%

DEATH-BOT, DroidMesh Book III: 0%
Vigilante Angels Series Books I, II, III all available on Amazon!
Billy DeCarlo | Website/blog | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Amazon | BookBub | Goodreads | LibraryThing | Pronoun | Patreon

Offline C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2017, 04:06:33 PM »

They are sometimes posted hereabouts. But if you're not asked to be in one, MAKE ONE. I'd find writers who are similar to you and ask if they want to be in it. Suggest a theme, and suggest that they are welcome to write a story that is part of one of their existing series.

Good luck.

I write books about Change, Chaos, and Loki
C. Gockel | facebook | tumblr | website

Offline Evenstar

• UK
  • YA and PNR
    • View Profile
    • Author Website
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2017, 04:24:56 PM »
How did you get it to be permafree? I want to do the same (ie, have a few tales for free on amazon, wattpad, instafreebie) but afaik permafree isn't possible anymore. Is this still true?

I don't know. This book is old. But I made it free on all other platforms using D2D and then I emailed KDP with the links of all the places it is available and asked them to match it. As far as I know that still works

Offline CMICHELLE

• Dragon's are Beatable
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2017, 11:56:45 AM »
I write Novellas, so I completely agree with self-publishing, attempting to trad publish, and promoting your shorter works. Good stories are always worth putting out there. With the length of current attention spans, short is sometimes the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dragon's are Beatable

Offline rjspears

• Columbus, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2017, 05:40:15 PM »
I used to use short fiction as giveaways for my book launches, but I'm not sure that is still working. I like the reader magnet idea.
R.J. Spears