Author Topic: Can a .mbr file (notes, highlights etc.) be copied/pasted or somehow shared?  (Read 294 times)  

Offline kozmick

• View Profile
Hi.  New here.

Kindle for PC and Android.

Sorry if this may have been already addressed, but I was not able to search it out on the forum...

Is there a way to share the .mbr file (which includes highlights, notes etc.) for the same ebook on a different device?

Example:

Proof reading a novel (.mobi, .pdf ) on Kindle for PC (v 1.14.2 (43034) ) for ease of navigation, dictionary etc. highlighting and making correction notes along the way.
When I attempt to copy/paste the attendant .mbr file (created on the PC Kindle) for that title to another device like my client's android Samsung Galaxy tablet(or dedicated Kindle device), the .mbr file is not recognized and none the notes, highlights etc. are visible.

Other than the notes, highlights, the files for all devices are identical in file name size, and formatting etc.

I am aware that I can copy and paste the text of notes, highlights etc. on the Amazon cloud, but it would seem to me there must be a way to allow the .mbr files available to any/all devices without the cumbersome process of copy/paste text from cloud.

Is there some methodology or cool utility out there that could accomplish this?

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

Koz

Btw, great forum. Thanks again.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 05:21:41 PM by kozmick »

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
The file itself? I'm not sure.

But, within a book (whether an Amazon title or one sent through Amazon with Send to Kindle), highlights and bookmarks definitely will sync across devices. Not sure about notes as I never use that feature.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline kozmick

• View Profile
Thanks for the prompt reply Ann.

My issue is a little different than a conventional ebook purchased/downloaded directly from Kindle.
You are absolutely right, that books that exist on the cloud make available all bookmarks, hightlights and notes etc. to the title read on any other device connected to the internet.

My situation is a little different.

I have taken an MS from client and converted it into a ,mobi or a .pdf file using Calbre, to preview the ebook for the client.
Now comes the fun part. Editing and proofing and sharing with the client.

So it does not exist on the cloud. I suppose one could email deliver it through the cloud...

Again, any way to make those .mbr files available to other devices (without uploading to the cloud)?

Thanks,

Koz

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
My understanding . . . based on discussions very early in the era of Kindle . . . is that the files that are created on the kindle when you make notes, are, essentially, text files. SO, you can connect the kindle via USB and copy them from the kindle to your computer and then edit the resulting text file. I think when you look at such a file, it references a location where the note or whatever was appended; whether or not that's actually helpful in identifying the spot in some other format (paper or pdf) I can't say.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline kozmick

• View Profile
The .mbp (not mbr as previously stated by me - my bad)  file is in plain text however, it references the highlights etc. ebook by location etc. with much extraneous info.

Essentially useless...

Thanks for your help Ann. But I think there's got to be a way to share mbp files directly by copy/pasting to another device...

Anybody else?

Offline tsemple

• View Profile
I am not 100% sure (I do not have Kindle for PC installed anywhere currently - my Windows boxes are running Kindle for Windows 8 app, which is no longer available from Microsoft Store), but I believe Kindle for PC still does not support Personal Documents in the cloud functionality (neither does Kindle for Windows 8 ).

You can open .mobi and .pdf files from the local file system but the annotations will remain local. If you take the .pdf/.mobi and the associated .mbp (and other sidecar files you may find) to another PC I would be surprised if another instance of Kindle for PC would not reconstitute things, but I have never tried it and it seems rather inconvenient. I would not expect them to be portable to a Kindle or any other Kindle app.

The situation is different if you are using a Kindle mobile app and Kindle device. Then you can send it to the cloud and have your annotations and reading position sync amoung registered apps and devices. You can also export these with the iOS Android or Fire Kindle apps (but not Kindle device).

If you create a Google account, you can upload PDF and ePub to Google Play Books. There is no PC application but you can use any desktop browser to read, as well as the mobile apps for iOS or Android (reading position syncs etc). And your annotations will be saved to Google Docs in a portable format.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 09:36:14 PM by tsemple »