Need Perfect Gift? Shop Amazon Gift Cards. Any Occasion.

Author Topic: Advice on a letdown  (Read 1380 times)  

Offline U2Boy

• View Profile
Advice on a letdown
« on: November 21, 2017, 08:35:34 AM »
Received Kindle Paperwhite yesterday. I have been reading on an Ipad Mini for years as well as my iphone plus and real books. I have heard great things about this kindle and put it off for a long time. Here are my thoughts. First, it is smaller than a paperback dimensions where an ipad mini is the perfect size. This is barely bigger than my iphone plus. Next, I ordered this because you could read in direct sunlight which is the only downfall to an ipad. So I open the kindle and find no cords or charger. How awful. So I use another device USB cable to plug into my imac. The kindle does not show on the imac. How am I supposed to get books onto the device if it is not recognized. Unacceptable. Next I find out through research that you can email books through your provide "kindle.com" email address. I converted my books to mobi files and sent. Nothing ever appeared on my kindle. Next I tried downloading the kindle app on both my iphone and my imac. I could not drag books to the kindle app on my imac so I used my iphone app. Unfortunately this would appear in my app, but not sync to the kindle no matter what I did. Finally I downloaded a program called "sync to kindle" With this I was finally able to get books to my kindle, but this can only work if I am at home at my imac. Worthless. With an ipad, you can email yourself any type of ebook and open with ibooks. No issues ever. Then I decided to remain positive and consider the fact that the kindle is known for the better screen. My home screen is terrible containing Dictionary and User Guides that cannot be deleted. I don't want my home screen to have blank ugly icons of user guides and dictionaries. The home screen and functions are clunky not user friendly. There isn't even a button for table of contents. The ipad mini has perfect home buttons to access anything you need. Next I tried to search text and it never comes up with any results. Ipad immediately finds all text for my searches. Next, the screen itself. Besides being too small to feel like a book, the screen adds no clarity compared to ipad mini. The text is the same. The dpi is the same. Ipad even gives you a nighttime mode so it never causes eye strain. Trying to read at night with the light on the kindle was killing my eyes. The navigation and page "refreshing" is unacceptable. When I turn a page it looks like the device is having a seizure. Why the hell does it look like it is about to crash each time I turn a page. Also, I cannot believe that when you turn the light off, the page background is gray. This is called a paperwhite?!? Why does it look like I'm playing gameboy in 1991. So let down. How dare amazon release this and why do people tolerate such an average device. Please help if you have answers or I am missing something.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on a letdown
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 10:13:45 AM »
A kindle purchased from Amazon should come with a USB cable. It does NOT come with a plug adapter; that must be purchased separately.

It's designed, however, to be used wirelessly. You have to register it to your Amazon account (if you purchase it from Amazon it normally comes registered) and set it up with your wifi network name and password.  All of this is pretty automatic if you purchase directly from Amazon as it leads you through the set up when you turn it on.

If you purchased it elsewhere. The first thing to do is do a factory reset: once it's turned on, touch the menu symbol, then settings, then the menu symbol and touch 'reset to factory'. This will put it in 'like new' condition as far as the software is concerned and it should lead you through the set up.

Books purchased from Amazon can then be sent wirelessly very easily. They can also be transferred via the USB connection and your computer, but it's a bit more cumbersome. Books purchased from elsewhere, if in a compatible format, can be sent to kindle wirelessly using the 'send to kindle' app you set up on your computer, or by sending them as an attachment to your kindle email address. With the latter, you do have to first set the address you're sending from as 'allowed' in the 'your content and devices' section of 'your account' on Amazon.

As to the screen . . . it's the size it is -- the new 2017 Oasis is a bit larger. It is NOT a tablet screen, though, but is eInk, designed to present black and white with sharpness. Turning the light all the way off is NOT the best practice -- the light helps with contrast even on low settings. Counterintuitively, you should set it higher in bright areas and lower in places where ambient lighting is dimmer.

All that said, it sounds like this is, perhaps, not the device for you as you seem to be looking for something more like a tablet. The good news, if you bought it from Amazon, is that they have a good return policy -- contact them and they'll let you return it and only charge for return shipping. If there's  defect, they won't even charge that.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline patrickt

• Oaxaca, Mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 04:24:27 PM »
I am sorry but Kindle people are not remotely like Apple people. I sincerely believe the OP should stick with his beloved IPAD.

The product page clearly states:
"Included in the Box   Kindle Paperwhite, USB 2.0 charging cable and Quick Start Guide"

Oasis2 is the most recent Kindle, Oasis was before that. The Voyage was before that. The Paperwhite is four generations back. It's still my favorite Kindle.

I wonder where the OP bought his Paperwhite? If he bought it from Amazon he can ship it right back and not only gets a refund but they'll pay the shipping. Then he can live happily ever after with his IPAD.

edited; PM if you have questions -- Ann
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 04:44:12 AM by Ann in Arlington »

Offline U2Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 08:06:37 AM »
The "OP" WTF is not an apple person.  I like apple for phones and video.  I am really into reading and although I love real books, people have claimed kindle was just as good and a big difference from other ereaders including ipad mini.  This paperwhite was ordered through Amazon.com (not 3rd party).  I did NOT receive a USB and if you look in the Q&A, the new paperwhites no longer include a USB which sucks.  I want to like this kindle  I have just had major compatability issues with my imac and the kindle   I also cannot believe people are okay with the clunkiness of the page turning and poor set up of the home screen and navigation.  Just because I like apple, does not mean I don't love amazon and would really like a device that functions well and really has a great screen that looks like a book.  Not enough of a difference in quality for me.  However there have been lots of frustrations with compatibility which never happens with apple.  Again, does not mean I am an apple "OP".  Just happen to use their phones.

I am sorry but Kindle people are not remotely like Apple people. I sincerely believe the OP should stick with his beloved IPAD.

The product page clearly states:
"Included in the Box   Kindle Paperwhite, USB 2.0 charging cable and Quick Start Guide"

Oasis2 is the most recent Kindle, Oasis was before that. The Voyage was before that. The Paperwhite is four generations back. It's still my favorite Kindle.

I wonder where the OP bought his Paperwhite? If he bought it from Amazon he can ship it right back and not only gets a refund but they'll pay the shipping. Then he can live happily ever after with his IPAD.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 09:11:27 AM »
The Paperwhites do come with a usb cord. They do not come with a power plug. Looking in the Q&A you mention, that is exactly what one complaint is. They got no power plug. Kindles haven't come with power plugs for a long time, but always with a usb cord. If your package didn't include one, you have to contact Amazon and let them know so they can send you one. That is obviously a mistake.

I can't speak as compatibility with apple things as I don't own any, or have ever used any. I am sure though other kindle owners have and maybe they have some ideas why in your case you can't see the kindle.

My kindles have no clunkiness changing pages. At least the newer ones don't. Since you say you bought it from amazon, that means you have the newest of the paperwhites. The teeny flash you see is the technology of e-ink. You can set the refresh to do it every page, or not. I think its every 6 or so page then. I can't recall. I don't see the refresh anymore as its so fast now in the newer devices.

As far as the home page, there are some settings you can use. I don't know if you are talking about the home view with the covers, or your library you have set to grid and not list. You can turn the home view off though if you want in settings.
I don't have any issue with navigation either.

Does e-ink look like a tablet screen? No, course not. I am very glad it doesn't. I have fire tablets in the house and some androids, but I could never read on them. E-ink is just much better on my eyes. But obviously that is a personal thing.
My kindles look very much like a book to me, unlike say the kindle app on my android and fires.

As to getting books onto a kindle, I have never heard of a program called sync to kindle, so I am no help there. I also sideload very little as I get my books from Amazon. I actually never connect my kindles to a computer unless I manually put an update on. I do sideload some, but I use the send to kindle program that is installed on my computer for that. If you tried to use your kindles email address, you have to first authorize the email you send from in your manage your devices page on amazon. Its easier to use send to kindle as it goes straight to the cloud that way.

Others that side load use calibre and use the send to device function from calibre when they have the kindle plugged in. Seems to work well for them. I am sure some of them have apple computers. I have used calibre in the past to send to device, but that was a few years ago and on a PC. It does work well. But its not for my purposes. I just pull my books right from the device via wifi.

Oh and table of content is in kindle books on kindles. That is if the publisher put one in. There are a few ways to get to it. "Go-to" is one of them from the menu while in a book. Or you can swipe up from the bottom and then use the arrows to go between them.

Search also works very well on kindles. I find it quite fast and I can search either a book I am in, or all items. Search works once books that are downloaded on kindles have finished indexing. Depending on how many books one downloads in one blob, it can take a few minutes. To see if books have finished indexing, go to homepage and then in the search box put in a non sensical string of letters. Like hjkljkh. Anything like that. In the results towards the bottom there is "text in books". If there is a number and not zero, it means books are still being indexed. You can click on it and see how many.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
  • Card-carrying melodrama villain
    • View Profile
    • All about me....<hee hee>
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 09:36:31 AM »
Hey! Some of us love our iPads and our Kindles! It is possible! Alas, it appears the OP isnt one of those people. And he seems firm in that viewpoint. As Ann pointed out, the Amazon return policy is your friend in such situations.

(Make your own reading bar)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Koi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 10:10:39 AM »
The "OP" WTF is not an apple person.  ......  Again, does not mean I am an apple "OP".  Just happen to use their phones. 

U2Boy, it sounds like you took offense at 'OP' and no one has spoken up to explain you're being called that because it means 'Original Poster'- as in, you started this thread.  Its just a handy shortcut for clarity of who's being addressed.

It also sounds like your Kindle offended you- isn't it weird that tech can do that to us?  I've had some pieces of equipment just outright offend me and I can't for the life of me think why.   Usually, its shock that it doesn't make sense to me, and it seems to make sense to everyone else.  Or something really stupid (like no USB cable) prejudices me from the start, and my mind is made up about the device.   Sometimes, that's time to just call it a day and send the device back.

But I hope you'll take a deep breath, and sit down (don't try to hook it up to computer yet) and just touch the different menus and settings and all and see if you and this Kindle can be friends.  It starts making its own sort of sense, if you let it.   

Ask questions here in bullet points or one at a time, what things you need to know.   Question form-  how do I do X?  And we'll walk you past that initial misapprehension.  You have 30 days with Amazon to see if you like this thing or not.   

Maybe too, our Forum Speak or things that are super familiar to us, like the program Calibre, or the term side-loaded books- have you lost?   Maybe you DO know all that.   I'm guessing here, to try to be helpful!

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 10:49:54 AM »
Hey! Some of us love our iPads and our Kindles! It is possible! Alas, it appears the OP isnt one of those people. And he seems firm in that viewpoint. As Ann pointed out, the Amazon return policy is your friend in such situations.

Indeed. :(

U2Boy, I think your best option is to contact them and arrange a return. Some people aren't happy with them . . . and that's o.k. too. But, here at Kboards, which started out as Kindleboards, you're mostly going to find folks who are real fans. :)

That said, as Koi noted, if you have specific questions, please ask and if we can answer we will. :)

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline U2Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 12:19:09 PM »
Thanks all.  I appreciate it.  i will def give it a chance.  I just think compared to an ipad or apple device it is very choppy and is not as smooth with its touch and navigation.  You guys are great.  I will def write with questions.  My first issue is that I cannot send a book to my kindle using the provided address. 

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 12:27:39 PM »
Ok, lets start there then. You will have to approve the email you are going to send from to your kindle email address. Its so nothing else can be send to your kindle without your permission basically. You'll find that on amazon under your devices and content account section.
There go to settings on the right. When you scroll down you see something called personal document settings. There you'll see your kindles email address, in case you didn't have it already.

Then scroll down a bit more to "Approved Personal Document E-mail List"

That is where you will add the email address you'll be sending documents from to your kindle.

That is one way to do it. The easier way in my opinion is "send to kindle"

Here are all the options amazon has for it

https://www.amazon.com/gp/sendtokindle
you see there is a desktop option for not just PC, but also MAC. On that page are also instructions for the email sending I talked about above. I case my ramblings aren't as clear.  8)

If you use send to kindle, the docs/ebooks are in the cloud. That means you can then read that book/file from any kindle app, any kindle. It will be backed up in your account.
You will need to have mobi format for that to work. I just right click the file and because I have send to kindle installed, its one of the options in my popup.

Calibre is a program I talked about earlier, you can try that one also. Its a great organizing tool. But to get you started try the other stuff first.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline jkingrph

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 04:17:57 PM »
I am one with a foot in each camp.  in bright light conditions I prefer my e reader,  general artificial light the fire is fine, at night my ipad is preferred, it's nightshade color and contrast is far superior to the fire, so if I had to chose only one the iPad wins over the fire, but let me keep my e reader.

Offline NightReader

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 04:47:06 PM »
Follow Atunah's directions on setting up your email address so that it is accepted to "send to kindle" and that should resolve the issue of sending things to your kindle.

I don't have a Mac, so I can't say what might help there.

There is a setting for refreshing every page (why it looks like your kindle is "having a seizure").  Make sure that is set to "off" so it doesn't do a full refresh every page.  That should help.

There is a fairly recent software update that added improvements in font weight.  So, you might want to be sure that your kindle has updated to the most current version.  That might help with text clarity.

And, lastly, if you find you do prefer reading on a tablet (I have a friend who prefers it), the Fire 8 is pretty nice for reading.  It is lightweight and a good size.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2017, 06:12:36 PM »
As to the refresh . . . . I guess if you're not used to eInk it might seem weird at first. Page transitions are definitely NOT like on a tablet. But after using an eInk device fairly regularly for some time, you probably won't even notice the flash as the page resets any more than you notice the text moving when you've turned the page of a paper book.

I second Atunah's recommendation of the Send to Kindle program. It's absolutely the easiest way to get compatible documents onto the device and also archived. Note that you first have to convert ePub, though, to .mobi before using it.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline Meemo

• NW Florida
  • KB Member #43
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2017, 10:23:51 AM »
Check your settings on your iMac - my Kindles (or any other devices) have always shown up right on my desktop when I plug them into our iMac or my MacBook.  Do you have something set differently somehow?

Re the USB cable, check your box again.  The product page for the newest Paperwhite still states:  Included in the Box Kindle Paperwhite, USB 2.0 charging cable and Quick Start Guide.  No adapter, but the cable is included. 

We are definitely Apple people here, but DH and I both have eInk Kindles and prefer reading on those.  We've both used our iPhones or iPad Minis for reading in the past.  (But we much prefer the Marvin app for reading over the iBooks app. ;))  But ultimately we came back to our Kindles (we both have a 1st gen Oasis, and I also have a Paperwhite that I use for reading ARCs).  Is it as smooth as an iPad?  No, but then again it isn't meant to be.  It doesn't have the speed or the screen of a tablet.  But that eInk screen is one of the main advantages for Kindle lovers - it's easier on the eyes for most folks.  And for me, the size and weight of the Oasis is also preferable to the iPad Mini.  Regarding the light - be sure that the darker the room is, the lower you turn the light.  It sounds counterintuitive, but that's the way it works best. 

It sounds like you have a library of books you want to sideload (as opposed to getting them directly from Amazon).  If that's the case, the Calibre program might be useful for you to have on your iMac.  It's a free app for managing eBooks, and will detect your Paperwhite when you connect it to the iMac.  You can see what books are already on the device, and will send books to the Paperwhite.  The bigger your library of eBooks, the more valuable Calibre becomes.  (I have books from lots of different stores so it's quite helpful for me.)  https://calibre-ebook.com/
Kindling since August 2008, 1st gen Oasis, PW2, 2 Fire HD6s, iPad Mini

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Central Texas
  • Reading ebooks since 1994!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2017, 08:42:36 PM »
The kindle does not show on the imac. How am I supposed to get books onto the device if it is not recognized.

I have two Macs, and both my Voyage and my Paperwhite show up immediately on the desktop of each when I plug the device into a computer USB port. I can drag books into the Documents folder and they show up just fine. Are you sure that your USB cable is for both data and power? I've seen some that do not seem to transmit data. What format are your books in?

Ann is right, the lights should normally be on all the time, except maybe in the Texas noonday sun. Just adjust it for best appearance. It has minimal impact on time between charges. I typically have to plug it into a charger about once a week (and I read a lot, 100-130 books a year).

BTW, it takes time for the books to be indexed before you can run a search. The more books you put on it at one time, the longer it will take.

There isn't a dedicated button for the TOC, but it's there: tap near the top of the screen and then press GO TO. The Table of Contents should show up.

What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.

Offline GirlFriday

• Love One Another
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2017, 09:52:52 PM »
Wow. No words.
Proud owner of a Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro, and Phone X

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2017, 10:39:10 PM »
I stand as another Apple user who much prefers to read on my Kindle. I go back and forth between reading on my Kindle and my iPad mini. For me, the Kindle is much preferred for reading. Right now I have to read on the iPad because I have sent my Kindles back to Amazon Trade-In and have ordered the new Oasis2. Most recently I have been reading with the Voyage. I have never had any problem getting my books to download from my library on my Mac to any devise I stipulate. I hope you find the right reader and routine for you.
Words with Friends: Jane917

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline BeeTee-Ess

• Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2017, 09:19:05 PM »
Reading books - I use my Kindle every time.

Anything else - that's what my iPhone is for.

Horses for courses.

I did have an iPad, but gave it to my granddaughter. She is happy with it.
Regards...

Bernard