Author Topic: Amazon wouldn't lie to me, would they?  (Read 2405 times)  

Online Mylius Fox

• Cognitive syntactical wizard.
    • View Profile
Amazon wouldn't lie to me, would they?
« on: November 23, 2017, 05:26:02 AM »
I updated my book after discovering a coding error that rendered parts of one chapter unreadable, and I was in contact with their customer service to push the update to all the customers who'd already purchased it. After their review, I got an email back saying they determined it was a major update and that they had sent an email out to everyone with a notification for them to go download the update in their settings.

The only thing is I'd purchased the book after I found out about the problem, and I haven't received this email notification from them.  ::)

This was about twenty-four hours ago, although that probably shouldn't matter since they'd said it had already been sent... checked my spam folder, yada yada. I'm going to see if anyone I know who got the book received the email before I respond back to them, but I've got a feeling they didn't actually send it out.

Has anyone caught them in the act of lying before?  ???

Online Sam Kates

• UK
  • From the land of song and dragons.
    • View Profile
    • Sam Kates
Re: Amazon wouldn't lie to me, would they?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 05:30:41 AM »
But why would they lie over something like this? Making the portion of the book readable, when it wasn't before, will make the reading experience better and so it's in their interests to send the email. Is it possible that the email is in some sort of queue waiting to come out? (I ask this as a complete technological doofus)

sam kates

Offline TobiasRoote

• Greece
    • View Profile
    • Tobias Roote Books
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 05:35:03 AM »
I updated my book after discovering a coding error that rendered parts of one chapter unreadable, and I was in contact with their customer service to push the update to all the customers who'd already purchased it. After their review, I got an email back saying they determined it was a major update and that they had sent an email out to everyone with a notification for them to go download the update in their settings.

The only thing is I'd purchased the book after I found out about the problem, and I haven't received this email notification from them.  ::)

This was about twenty-four hours ago, although that probably shouldn't matter since they'd said it had already been sent... checked my spam folder, yada yada. I'm going to see if anyone I know who got the book received the email before I respond back to them, but I've got a feeling they didn't actually send it out.

Has anyone caught them in the act of lying before?  ???

Maybe they decided to ring both of them as it was quicker. :P

Tobias Roote | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Online Mylius Fox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 05:41:52 AM »
But why would they lie over something like this? Making the portion of the book readable, when it wasn't before, will make the reading experience better and so it's in their interests to send the email. Is it possible that the email is in some sort of queue waiting to come out? (I ask this as a complete technological doofus)

A queue is a possibility, although it's been a lot of time since they claimed to send it....

Maybe they decided to ring both of them as it was quicker. :P

;D

Offline Laran Mithras

• Butte MT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 05:53:18 AM »
Whenever they've done a major update for me, they just tell me the option to update the book will appear in the reader's kindle. They've never mentioned email services to me...  :-[

Offline dianapersaud

• View Profile
    • Diana Persaud
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 06:41:08 AM »
Whenever they've done a major update for me, they just tell me the option to update the book will appear in the reader's kindle. They've never mentioned email services to me...  :-[

I've seen it appear on the book but haven't gotten an email in a long time. Have you clicked on your book (on your kindle) and see if it gives you the option of updating? Also, I believe there might be a setting somewhere to automatically allow updates, so you won't be notified.

I suppose you can tell by checking your device and seeing if it has the updated version.

Diana Persaud | My Website

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 07:34:36 AM »
I have never had any book update appear on my  kindles by itself. I have to go into my account, search for a book and then I see a update button in my account I can use. There used to be a drop down for all books that have updates but that is not there anymore. And so unless by accident I happen to browse my huge library in  my account and see the button, I don't know there is an update. I have updates going back years I can see them sometimes. But I don't update the books. I got burned bad a couple of times so I don't touch it anymore.

I also used to have the auto update on and turned it off. That is when I got burned. I had one book PC cleaned, it was a re-release and I guess the author decided after the fact, like 20 some years after, it needed to be "cleansed". After it was re-released.  It ruined a book I had waited years to read again after being out of print. The other was a book that the author decided after some time to chop into 4 parts. So took away the full book in my library and gave me a sample basically. Never again. No more updates on my end.

I get emails though very very rarely on updates available. Maybe like 2-3 times a year and I have over 3000 books in my account. Most time the update button just appears in the account and you have to know what you are looking for. Unless of course one has auto update on.  :-\

Member since 11/20/2008  | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline dgaughran

• Dublin
    • View Profile
    • David Gaughran
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 07:50:10 AM »
I've been in this situation, as have several of my friends. One was a pre-order where they incorrectly sent out the dummy file. Another was my own situation where I was trying to make sure purchasers of the first edition got the new second edition.

In *all* cases, Amazon said it had sent out the email but never did. I know because I checked with plenty of purchasers, as did my friends. And I had purchased it myself of course. No one got an email.

I asked Amazon a couple of times what happened but they didn't respond. My friend was more persistent and eventually got them to admit they never sent it, and then the email went out.
Stuff for writers thisaway

Online Mylius Fox

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 07:59:01 AM »
I've been in this situation, as have several of my friends. One was a pre-order where they incorrectly sent out the dummy file. Another was my own situation where I was trying to make sure purchasers of the first edition got the new second edition.

In *all* cases, Amazon said it had sent out the email but never did. I know because I checked with plenty of purchasers, as did my friends. And I had purchased it myself of course. No one got an email.

I asked Amazon a couple of times what happened but they didn't respond. My friend was more persistent and eventually got them to admit they never sent it, and then the email went out.

Wow. :o Thanks, I'm going to follow up about it right now, then. I will not relent.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 08:20:26 AM by Mylius Fox »

Offline Marty South

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 08:16:40 AM »
Look under "Your Content and Devices."

Online Mylius Fox

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2017, 08:19:51 AM »
Look under "Your Content and Devices."

Yep, I've seen that the update appears there, but what they need to do is send the email notifying customers to do the same...

Offline TobiasRoote

• Greece
    • View Profile
    • Tobias Roote Books
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2017, 08:31:50 AM »
Yep, I've seen that the update appears there, but what they need to do is send the email notifying customers to do the same...

What happens if the user has notifications turned off? Many people find lots of email from Amazon to be invasive so turn them off in settings.

Tobias Roote | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Online Mylius Fox

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2017, 08:34:26 AM »
What happens if the user has notifications turned off? Many people find lots of email from Amazon to be invasive so turn them off in settings.

I'm not certain about this, but I personally receive my weekly bucketload of emails from them (never adjusted any settings), and it never showed up.

Online Sam Kates

• UK
  • From the land of song and dragons.
    • View Profile
    • Sam Kates
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2017, 08:35:17 AM »

So they have been known to be economical with the truth? That's sad and a little scary.

sam kates

Online Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2017, 08:49:35 AM »
That's a good point. In an ideal world, the books would update automatically without requiring reader intervention. Exceptions would be situations such as the one book becoming four that Atunah cited (which Amazon shouldn't even have allowed--the author should have unpublished the original, which would have preserved it for previous buyers, and published the four-volume edition) and people with highlights or notes, who should be asked whether they want the update.

Amazon's current, convoluted approach is based on the fear of readers losing highlights and notes. Certainly, such readers should be given an option if a book is updated, but in my experience, few people do much note-taking in their pleasure reading. That would be more of an issue with reference books, textbooks, and maybe books read for book clubs. For the average fiction reader, I doubt it's that big of a deal.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2017, 09:31:27 AM »
That's a good point. In an ideal world, the books would update automatically without requiring reader intervention. Exceptions would be situations such as the one book becoming four that Atunah cited (which Amazon shouldn't even have allowed--the author should have unpublished the original, which would have preserved it for previous buyers, and published the four-volume edition) and people with highlights or notes, who should be asked whether they want the update.

Amazon's current, convoluted approach is based on the fear of readers losing highlights and notes. Certainly, such readers should be given an option if a book is updated, but in my experience, few people do much note-taking in their pleasure reading. That would be more of an issue with reference books, textbooks, and maybe books read for book clubs. For the average fiction reader, I doubt it's that big of a deal.
They do have auto update, but rightfully, a customer must pick that and be aware of the consequences. Under no circumstance should they ever do this automatically to readers. Many people take notes and highlight. In fiction. It all gets backed up, not only on the site, but also on goodreads now. All the sharing we do with other readers of quotes, highlights, etc. Its all part of it. To have it auto without choice would mean I'd be at the whim of the author to constantly fiddle with their book and altering something I have already bought without my permission.

The chopped up book is just one example, I was much more upset about the book I had waited so long for that was mutilated. Unfortunately, I hadn't backed it up yet at the time so I lost it. I never touched another book by that author and went straight to turning off auto update. I expect the books I purchase to be as they should be and proper. Just like they were before ebooks. I never had any issues with paperbacks or having to turn them in over and over for a new version with altered text. It was my choice if I wanted to buy a new edition later on. Not having mine taken away and replaced with another.

Amazon would never do that to its customers. Its why they make it optional and most readers don't know its there as you have to chose that. Default is having to update yourself thankfully.
Only thing I think that would help if they put it back in the dropdown to show all the books that have updates, so one can pick and chose. Right now you have to scroll through infinity and if you have 1000's of books, nobody is going to do that. And of course if folks already read the book they won't care after either. Unless they are big re-readers, its moving on to the next one.

Member since 11/20/2008  | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Online brkingsolver

• Baltimore, MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2017, 10:57:09 AM »
Years ago, they pushed out an update for me. Haven't had the situation since. A lot of readers never check their online account page.

BR Kingsolver | Author website

Online Mylius Fox

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2017, 12:58:53 PM »
Just an update, the technical team had reported the email was sent on the 15th. The customer service representative observed that I had personally bought the book on October 30th (I hadn't mentioned this in my email), so he asked me to see if I had received the email, as it should've went out to all customers (kinda crazy he had that info in front of him/was proactive enough to check). I told him nope, and now they're going to investigate what happened and get back to me on December 1st. :D

Offline Lynn Is A Pseudonym

• Human.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2017, 05:58:18 PM »

Maybe it's weird but I don't always update when an updated book is available. In fact, I don't update books very often at all. I can't trust authors not to change things I don't want changed. :)

Offline Laran Mithras

• Butte MT
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2017, 05:56:04 AM »
I have only ever pushed updates for my books when it was critical: such as the wrong document loaded for the ebook.

Online Mylius Fox

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2018, 06:17:00 AM »
I'm updating this mostly to vent.  >:(

Over two weeks had went by without a response from them, so I contacted them again about it, and no one responded, at all.

So I waited until the holidays were done and over, another three weeks or so, and replied to the last email I'd received, again, this time asking for a supervisor.

A supervisor from "Kindle Singles" (wtf?) informs me the mass email to customers had been sent out on a different day than the previous KDP support representative had told me, and the supervisor also said that I wouldn't have received the email because they have a different method for updating a book bought by the publisher vs. a book bought by the customer.  ::)

So I wait for a few days as I consider either giving up or contacting someone higher up, at the very least to bust that supervisor for blatantly lying to me...

... and today I receive an email informing me customers have reported quality issues with my book, and how my book's detail page will have this notification until I resolve the errors, errors I've already resolved and reached out to them about.

:P

Online LilyBLily

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2018, 06:27:09 AM »

Over two weeks had went by without a response from them, so I contacted them again about it, and no one responded, at all.

So I waited until the holidays were done and over, another three weeks or so, and replied to the last email I'd received, again, this time asking for a supervisor.

A supervisor from "Kindle Singles" (wtf?) informs me the mass email to customers had been sent out on a different day than the previous KDP support representative had told me, and the supervisor also said that I wouldn't have received the email because they have a different method for updating a book bought by the publisher vs. a book bought by the customer.  ::)

So I wait for a few days as I consider either giving up or contacting someone higher up, at the very least to bust that supervisor for blatantly lying to me...

... and today I receive an email informing me customers have reported quality issues with my book, and how my book's detail page will have this notification until I resolve the errors, errors I've already resolved and reached out to them about.

The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing, and most CSRs employed by Amazon just want to make your problem go away by making YOU go away.

Frustrating to expect competence out of what is a blatantly incompetent system.

jeff@amazon.com

Online Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2018, 06:28:30 AM »

It's very disheartening!

Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Online Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2018, 06:48:52 AM »
To have it auto without choice would mean I'd be at the whim of the author to constantly fiddle with their book and altering something I have already bought without my permission.

And of course if folks already read the book they won't care after either. Unless they are big re-readers, its moving on to the next one.
I think we fundamentally agree with each other. Perhaps I wasn't clear the first time. I'd never be in favor of someone having an update pushed on them if they had something like highlights or notes in place.

As far as miscellaneous fiddling goes, in theory Amazon won't even notify readers of an update that doesn't involve correcting errors. Someone changing the plot, for example, wouldn't get anywhere asking Amazon to update. I don't know how the author who chopped one book into four managed it, but I'd guess by pointing out errors being corrected, and Amazon didn't look over the book very carefully.

I also agree that once people have read the book, most probably won't go back, anyway.

What I'd like to see would be a way to fix issues for people who haven't actually started reading the book yet and for situations like the one Mylius had with an unreadable chapter (and other similarly big issues). The problem is that Amazon doesn't really differentiate well. Every request goes through the same, overly long process. It should be easier for them to identify a serious issue and correct it. Beyond that, I'm not interested in fussing over minor changes, and I certainly don't want updates pushed on people if they really don't want them. A few months back I fixed some nontechnical issues in a books, issues that readers had suggested made the book less enjoyable. I didn't even request that Amazon tell readers about the update, because that's not what the process is supposed to be for. It's enough that new readers get the revised version.

Online Al Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2018, 08:24:35 AM »
I updated my book after discovering a coding error that rendered parts of one chapter unreadable...
Would the error have been shown in the Review copy you can download before publishing? I learned that lesson a long time ago. I always page through the review copy looking for formatting errors, even if the change was a small one.
...and the supervisor also said that I wouldn't have received the email because they have a different method for updating a book bought by the publisher vs. a book bought by the customer.
I can believe that. They know it's you if you try to review your own book. I tried to address a review issue a while back for an edition of a book that the publisher had released under my name but that I had not worked on. Amazon wouldn't let me do it.