Why not Join Amazon Kindle Unlimited 30-Day Free Trial?

Author Topic: I would love your feedback on my cover! (New pics based on feedback!)  (Read 1630 times)  

Offline MH Johnson

• View Profile
Re: I would love your feedback on my cover!
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2017, 01:34:42 AM »
Thank you all for your feedback, I wanted to let everyone know how much I appreciate it, a number of you regulars have helped me with your insights before and I absolutely love the kboard community for taking such an interest in helping us newer authors spread our wings and fly!

A point I should have made awhile ago, perhaps, is that this story is aimed as epic/coming of age fantasy, but it definitely has lighthearted elements,  Terry Pratchett and David Eddings were both inspirational to my original muse. The protagonists are younger dragons just spreading their wings, and it has at least a bit of the more idealistic heroes journey vibe, but my hope is that the story will appeal to lovers of fantasy in general.

Online MissingAlaska

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2017, 04:26:19 AM »
One way to make the font stand out is to darken the top of the image using a subtle, graduated transparency (another layer between the font and image).  Try a washed-out grey/blue and have it go completely transparent just below the title.  The natural contrast between a steely blue sky and the gold font might be enough to make this pop.

I don't see the sword placement as a problem. I would not change that.

Michael S. Nuckols | Webpage

Offline Marty South

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2017, 07:04:00 AM »
I didn't notice anything weird about the sword until other people started snickering about it. But lots of people's minds go to places mine doesn't. But for Middle Grade? I doubt that's something most middle grade readers would immediately notice/think of.

Have you spent much time with 11 or 12-year-olds lately?! Especially the boys. You give them anything long and pointy or tubular, and it will at some point become a pantomime penis. It's what they do.

Offline DIAMONDSINTHESKY

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2017, 03:25:17 AM »
I really like it. The two suggestions I would offer are: 1) get rid of that yellow outline around your author name, and 2) move your author name up to sit under the title so it doesn't block the dragon's nose and the gold.

Really love the cover, same feedback from me. Looks like an interesting book that would definitely appeal to readers of that genre.

Offline Puddleduck

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2017, 06:26:07 AM »
Have you spent much time with 11 or 12-year-olds lately?! Especially the boys. You give them anything long and pointy or tubular, and it will at some point become a pantomime penis. It's what they do.

No, but even when I was that age, I don't remember seeing boys do that much. I'm not sure we should be catering so strongly to the most immature possible audience (are boys like that even big readers anyway?), or else it turns into that SNL sketch with Nicholas Cage about "Oz-wee-pay" Johnson.

Offline Marty South

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2017, 07:21:09 AM »
No, but even when I was that age, I don't remember seeing boys do that much. I'm not sure we should be catering so strongly to the most immature possible audience (are boys like that even big readers anyway?), or else it turns into that SNL sketch with Nicholas Cage about "Oz-wee-pay" Johnson.

I'm not suggesting this cover was catering to any particular level of maturity. The sword positioning appears more like an unfortunate accident. I'm merely suggesting that, given the intended middle grade audience for this book, the cover might elicit such a reaction. Yes, it would be immature, as the eight to twelve-year-old age group tends to be, pretty much by definition. Boys, by the way, do read.

As far as the overall cover goes, I think it's a great cover. I don't necessarily think the sword is a deal breaker, either--maybe just something to be aware of.

Offline Puddleduck

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2017, 04:37:14 PM »
Boys, by the way, do read.

I certainly didn't mean to question whether boys in general read. I meant to question whether the types of boys who make penises out of everything are big readers. And no, I really don't think all boys make penises out of everything.

Offline MH Johnson

• View Profile
Re: I would love your feedback on my cover! (New pics based on feedback!)
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2017, 10:47:14 PM »
Some great feedback on sword and title placement, thank you for that, everyone! I put up 2 new full sized variants up top, here are the thumbnails real quick, I'd love to know what people thought/which looked better!

Offline ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2017, 10:54:55 PM »
Some great feedback on sword and title placement, thank you for that, everyone! I put up 2 new full sized variants up top, here are the thumbnails real quick, I'd love to know what people thought/which looked better!

I love this one. But I'd suggest a little more glow around your name, to make the O and the N in Johnson stand out more.

Offline Devyn Jayse

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2017, 12:35:51 AM »

As a thumbnail I prefer the one on the right. But overall, think the first should be your pick.
Devyn Jayse | website | fantasy website

Online Day Leitao

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2017, 06:19:46 AM »

Awesome work!

I love the first new version, and the dark bottom makes it seem less lighthearted. But I don't like glow around names. On top, around your name, can't you have a little cloud, vapour, something white? Or move the name. Because the font with the glow is not very visible and doesn't look professional over the tree.

In the bottom, Gold and Glory could perhaps be lighter, because it's hard to see as a thumbnail.

I like it that the kid and the dragon are in the middle and more visible.

Don't worry about the sword. If it's a coming of age tale, think of puberty and all... It's perfectly placed.  :D

Offline Kathy Dee

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2017, 06:21:19 AM »
Good job: I like 'em both, but I like the 2nd best.

Offline Jessie G. Talbot

• Raleigh, NC
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2017, 07:03:53 AM »
Def the 2nd one.

Jessie G. Talbot | Website | Twitter | Newsletter

Offline Moticom

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2017, 08:41:57 AM »

The first one is much better, definitely. Typography and layout much more professional.

David Hurrell | Amazon.com
Visit Soulless Voodoo Guy on Facebook for exclusive artwork

Offline MH Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2017, 05:21:32 PM »
Thank you all for the great feedback, you've really helped, thanks KBoards! - My artist and I came up with 2 final variants, I'm posting here at the end as well...

I'd love to know what you liked best!

Offline Puddleduck

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2017, 06:07:12 PM »
I like the top one. The only thing is that it looks like your series title is bigger than your book title? It reads as "Dragonsign, Book One: Gold and Glory". To me, the book title should always be larger than the series title. You want people to know what the title of the book is, and when the series title is bigger, it causes confusion. This is especially true once you've got more than one book in the series out. Having the series title biggest can make it look like the second book is the same book with different cover art. I've just never understood why anyone would make the series title bigger on a book cover, since the individual title is far more important.

Offline C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2017, 06:11:50 PM »
The darker font is easier to read, especially in thumbnail. So cover 1 for me.

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2017, 07:22:35 PM »
#1 definitely.  The dark font for author name is much better than the gold color.
Jena

Online Day Leitao

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2017, 03:20:16 PM »
The first one is much better. The only thing is that Book One is not super clear. Maybe you could take out the glow from those words only. I don't think it's  a problem if it's different.

Awesome work!

Offline Dana L.

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2017, 07:24:19 AM »
Cover #1 is the best! I didn't notice "Book One" immediately; it needs something to make it more obvious. This cover is so great; I love it.