Author Topic: Combining D2D, PublishDrive and Streetlib to reach 60+ retailers  (Read 1167 times)  

Offline RicardoFayet

• View Profile
    • Reedsy
Combining D2D, PublishDrive and Streetlib to reach 60+ retailers
« on: November 29, 2017, 11:25:15 AM »
Since Pronoun announced they were shutting down, I've been getting a lot of questions about ebook distribution and which aggregators to use. So I took a deep dive into famous ones like D2D (my favorite) or Smashwords and more recent ones like PublishDrive and Streetlib and devised a distribution setup that would reach over 60 retailers without creating any duplicates.

It basically involves:
  • Using D2D for all their retailers, library distributors, and other distribution outlets
  • Using PublishDrive to reach Google Play and all outlets not covered by D2D
  • Using Smashwords and Streetlib to reach other niche stores
To avoid duplicates, you need to know which distributors reaches which outlet, and I compiled all that info into a spreadsheet.

It means any changes/updates to your books need to be made on all the aggregators, which can be a pain, and you obviously shouldn't expect many sales on the niche international stores. But if you're going to be wide, you might as well be on as many places as possible!

Any feedback or corrections on the spreadsheet are more than welcome :)

Offline Jessie G. Talbot

• Raleigh, NC
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Combining D2D, PublishDrive and Streetlib to reach 60+ retailers
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 12:19:50 PM »
Cool! Thank you.

Jessie G. Talbot | Website | Twitter | Newsletter

Offline ZsofiaMacho

• London
    • View Profile
    • PublishDrive
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 06:01:03 AM »
Since Pronoun announced they were shutting down, I've been getting a lot of questions about ebook distribution and which aggregators to use. So I took a deep dive into famous ones like D2D (my favorite) or Smashwords and more recent ones like PublishDrive and Streetlib and devised a distribution setup that would reach over 60 retailers without creating any duplicates.

It basically involves:
  • Using D2D for all their retailers, library distributors, and other distribution outlets
To avoid duplicates, you need to know which distributors reaches which outlet, and I compiled all that info into a spreadsheet.

It means any changes/updates to your books need to be made on all the aggregators, which can be a pain, and you obviously shouldn't expect many sales on the niche international stores. But if you're going to be wide, you might as well be on as many places as possible!

Amazing work!  :o :o :o
Avid reader, passionate writer, and content marketer at PublishDrive.
https://publishdrive.com

Online Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 07:22:23 AM »
I'm trying that kind of distribution model with one book to see how it goes.

As long as the book doesn't need to be updated frequently, even a few sales on the smaller outlets could be worth it. Some of the more obscure ones (Hummingbird, for example) look as if they could get significant traffic. Others, Mackin, might be good fits for particular kinds of books.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Gentleman Zombie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 09:09:02 AM »
I read an article about doing something similar last year... and I'll probably do this soon. 

Thanks for the post and spreadsheet!

Offline RicardoFayet

• View Profile
    • Reedsy
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 03:44:21 AM »
Glad you like it! I don't think you should expect many sales on these small local retailers, but you never know Plus then you can brag that you've sold several ebooks in Hungary  ;D

Offline TobiasRoote

• Greece
    • View Profile
    • Tobias Roote Books
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 03:55:38 AM »
I think it would be useful and more accurate to put in 63% for going Googleplay direct. (That being the optimum from what I understand) although you can get higher.

Tobias Roote | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline RicardoFayet

• View Profile
    • Reedsy
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 04:19:06 AM »
I think it would be useful and more accurate to put in 63% for going Googleplay direct. (That being the optimum from what I understand) although you can get higher.

I didn't include anything for going direct to Google Play because it's not yet open to indie authors. Or rather, it used to be, then closed access, and is now (apparently) slowly reopening it: https://play.google.com/books/publish/u/0/?re=1

Even if GP reopened its "direct" doors, I'd still use an aggregator like Streetlib or PublishDrive to reach it, as both have a system to avoid GP's random discounting (and the price-matching that follows by Amazon):
  • Streetlib leverages an old contract they had with GP which prevents them from discounting (exactly like Pronoun did using Macmillan's contract)
  • PublishDrive doesn't have such a contract but instead adjusts your retail price on GP so that when they discount it, it doesn't go below your retail price on Amazon and other stores (effectively avoiding price-matching)

Offline TobiasRoote

• Greece
    • View Profile
    • Tobias Roote Books
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 05:08:12 AM »
I didn't include anything for going direct to Google Play because it's not yet open to indie authors. Or rather, it used to be, then closed access, and is now (apparently) slowly reopening it: https://play.google.com/books/publish/u/0/?re=1

Even if GP reopened its "direct" doors, I'd still use an aggregator like Streetlib or PublishDrive to reach it, as both have a system to avoid GP's random discounting (and the price-matching that follows by Amazon):
  • Streetlib leverages an old contract they had with GP which prevents them from discounting (exactly like Pronoun did using Macmillan's contract)
  • PublishDrive doesn't have such a contract but instead adjusts your retail price on GP so that when they discount it, it doesn't go below your retail price on Amazon and other stores (effectively avoiding price-matching)

Understood, although I'm not hearing of any authors being refused. They just prefer you to apply. There is a thread on here that shows all the Indy authors how to price their books to get their preferred selling price. By not putting ANYTHING in the box you are excluding Googleplay direct as an option. I just thought that was unfair, but you play it as you want. :D

David Carpenter

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 06:31:59 AM »

It basically involves:

Excellent, thanks.

Offline ZsofiaMacho

• London
    • View Profile
    • PublishDrive
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 06:45:39 AM »

That is very interesting, where did you get 63% from? I tried to sign up to Google Play with my own book (as an author myself) and received my Hogwarts letter, but they only offered me 52%  :o

Offline TobiasRoote

• Greece
    • View Profile
    • Tobias Roote Books
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2017, 06:50:10 AM »
That is very interesting, where did you get 63% from? I tried to sign up to Google Play with my own book (as an author myself) and received my Hogwarts letter, but they only offered me 52%  :o

The level of royalty is achieved in how you price your books. I worked out mine to be an average of 63%, but as you can see from the figures, it goes much higher on some.
https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,167655.0.html

Offline CloudStrife

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2017, 06:56:44 AM »
Very interesting. I've just tried out Draft2Digital - so early I have not yet received any payments but I truly like the way their site operates...

I would argue that some of these so-called smaller international or niche sites could be well worth it if you publish in foreign languages, which I do. However, I have yet to test this in my case.

Offline ZsofiaMacho

• London
    • View Profile
    • PublishDrive
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2017, 07:00:45 AM »
The level of royalty is achieved in how you price your books. I worked out mine to be an average of 63%, but as you can see from the figures, it goes much higher on some.
https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,167655.0.html

Thank you, very interesting chart!

Offline TobiasRoote

• Greece
    • View Profile
    • Tobias Roote Books
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2017, 07:02:52 AM »
Very interesting. I've just tried out Draft2Digital - so early I have not yet received any payments but I truly like the way their site operates...

I would argue that some of these so-called smaller international or niche sites could be well worth it if you publish in foreign languages, which I do. However, I have yet to test this in my case.

I did with Spanish. The only one that provided ANYTHING (in any language) was Googleplay on the Streetlib site. (That was over 4-5 months).

Offline CloudStrife

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2017, 09:47:59 AM »
I did with Spanish. The only one that provided ANYTHING (in any language) was Googleplay on the Streetlib site. (That was over 4-5 months).

That's a shame. I'm in a different ball game, I think with nonfiction, and I think it's important that we all test things for ourselves (way too many variables to expect consistency across different authors). Needless to say I hope my results differ but I'm going to experiment, starting with taking my English books wide, then Spanish. Starting with D2D, then probably moving onto others to expand the wide reach.