Author Topic: Developmental & copy/line editing - get a free sample edit of your first chapter  (Read 2334 times)  

Offline rosalie_editorial

• Atlanta, GA
    • View Profile
    • Clockwork Editorial
*** Update: I have availability for full-length projects from September and I am still offering a free sample edit of your first chapter with a 7-day turnaround time. *** 

Hi all,

I have worked in an editorial capacity in publishing houses for several years, and have recently begun my journey as a freelance editor, proofreader and literary consultant (www.clockworkeditorial.com). I am detail-oriented, creative and meticulous - and I am lucky enough to have been able to work with a variety of fantastic authors from a range of genres.

I specialize in thriller/mystery, crime, YA/MG and contemporary women's fiction.

I am now looking to work with some new writers to make your book the best it can be. To see if we're a good fit, I'd love to offer a free development edit or copy/line edit on your first chapter.

I am from the UK but live in the US, so I am proficient in both British and American English.

Please message me directly or get in touch via my website if you are interested, and we can go from there.

All the best,

Rosalie
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 06:28:39 AM by rosalie_editorial »
Find out more about my Fiction Editing & Literary Consultancy Services at www.clockworkeditorial.com

"Rosalie's editing skills, both on the page and working directly with our authors, are exceptional. Without fail she hits the nail on the head in identifying both negative and positive aspects of a manuscript and offers solutions and feedback with the combination of tact and brutal honesty that every writer dreams of in an editor." Blackbird Digital Books MD, independent publisher of quality fiction and non-fiction

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
Re: Editorial Services - first chapter free, zero obligation!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 04:36:58 AM »
Welcome to Kboards!

You're welcome to promote your relevant business, service, product or website here in the Writers' Cafe!

Now that you have an official thread, you'll want to add your listing to our Yellow Pages Listing, found here:http://www.kboards.com/yp/. The listing is free to KB members and is completely self-service; you can add and edit your listing from the page.  More information on our Yellow Pages listing can be found here.

In your thread here, we ask that the same basic rules be followed as we have for authors in the Book Bazaar:  you may have this one thread about your service and must post to it rather than start a new thread each time.  New threads about the service will be removed.  Please bookmark this thread so that you can find it again to post to.  And, you may not make back-to-back posts to the thread within seven days.  If someone responds (such as this post), you may reply but otherwise must wait seven days, thanks! Also note that very short or one/two word posts with no meaningful information, are discouraged and may be deleted at the moderators' discretion.

Note that members are allowed to provide civil and honest feedback about your service to this thread, and you may respond in a civil manner. In particular, members may have questions about how the service works, what you get for your money, as well as concerns about whether or not it might violate Amazon ToS.

Disputes between you and clients should be handled off site.

Ann
KBoards Moderator

(Members: this welcome does not constitute an endorsement or vetting of a service by KBoards.  Members should do due diligence when considering using a service.)

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Decon

• View Profile
    • Declan Conner, Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 06:53:08 AM »
I've sent off the first chapter for In Search of Candice just now. Good luck with your new venture. Let me know if you have recieved my email.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 12:13:04 PM by Decon »

Scorpion ebooks: Full length  thrillers with a sting in the tale. All enrolled in KU & Prime.
Declan Conner | blog

Offline Decon

• View Profile
    • Declan Conner, Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 03:24:04 PM »
Well, that was quick, but very thorough, with the development suggestions very perceptive to improve character and the chapter's progression. I'm impressed and it looks as though we'll be working together. Your quotation is reasonable too for what is involved and within my budget. A big thank you.

Scorpion ebooks: Full length  thrillers with a sting in the tale. All enrolled in KU & Prime.
Declan Conner | blog

• Atlanta, GA
    • View Profile
    • Clockwork Editorial
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 04:04:45 PM »
Well, that was quick, but very thorough, with the development suggestions very perceptive to improve character and the chapter's progression. I'm impressed and it looks as though we'll be working together. Your quotation is reasonable too for what is involved and within my budget. A big thank you.

Many thanks for your feedback. I enjoyed reading your first chapter and I'm glad you found the edits constructive. I look forward to working with you!

I still have some availability left for other new authors, so if you would like to try out a free, no-obligation first chapter edit, please get in touch!
Find out more about my Fiction Editing & Literary Consultancy Services at www.clockworkeditorial.com

"Rosalie's editing skills, both on the page and working directly with our authors, are exceptional. Without fail she hits the nail on the head in identifying both negative and positive aspects of a manuscript and offers solutions and feedback with the combination of tact and brutal honesty that every writer dreams of in an editor." Blackbird Digital Books MD, independent publisher of quality fiction and non-fiction

• Atlanta, GA
    • View Profile
    • Clockwork Editorial
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 07:12:30 AM »
Hi all,

I'm thrilled to be working with some great Kboards authors thanks to this forum. If anyone else is interested in a free sample edit, please direct message me and we can go from there.

All the best,

Rosalie

Offline Camberion

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 12:28:46 AM »
Rosalie just did a sample first-chapter copy/line edit for me and I definitely rate her skills. She caught instances of unclear phrasing, clumsy word choices and imagery (and the odd misplaced comma - my bad!). I also found her comments to be very thorough and helpful.

Offline Decon

• View Profile
    • Declan Conner, Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 07:32:24 AM »
Okay, I have to give a shout out for Rosalie's editorial services, especially the development discipline of editing which I contracted for.

After the indepth development edit of my first chapter, I was blown away by the suggestions and the amount of thought that went into both the overall report and the comments and suggestions at para level on the MS.

Maybe not the best way to do it, as I am sure it is better to send in a completed MS, but after recieving back the first chapter, I sent off 19 chapters of a WIP that I was having a number of doubts about regarding clarity of purpose, for both the plot and the MC. To be honest, I was at the point of giving up on it and moving on as I have quite a few WIPs, but saying that, I knew the story had merit, what I didn't know was how to fix it.

First of all, the quote was very reasonable for that type of edit and one that under normal circumstances I would leave out because of budget constraints. Not sure how long those prices will last as I am sure she will soon get booked up.

I am talking about a development edit here, not an edit for punctuation and grammar, or a proofread, though she did go outside the box of the contract with some sentence structure suggestions, punctuation, and pointed out the odd typos. However, as I said, I contracted for a development edit and that was the main thrust for what I got back.

Here's what I got.

1st of all I received back an overall structured report relating to the following amounting to 10 pages.

Pace
Structure
Characterization
Plot Points
Setting
Narrative Detail
Voice

No punches were pulled, which is exactly what I hoped for, so you need a thick skin. The report made me think long and hard and helped me to identify where to strengthen the story and characterizations.

In addition, I received back the MS fully marked up in the side column, detailing suggestions.

Long and short is, I've spent the last week adding a new third chapter, deleting sections and adding sections, or moved them around, to the extent that the story now has a cohesive plot and story progression, and my character is more likely to strike a note with the reader that they would want to follow him on his journey.

While there is no guarantee it will make you a bestseller, what I took from the experience was that the report was the kind of thing that agents and publishers have in mind when they turn you down without ever spelling it out. The same with readers that get turned off for various reasons and leave a damning review. That's my take anyway.

Highly recommended

« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 08:04:26 AM by Decon »

Declan Conner | blog

• Atlanta, GA
    • View Profile
    • Clockwork Editorial
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 08:04:48 AM »
Happy new year, all!  :)

I have to give a shout out for Rosalie's editorial services, especially the development discipline of editing which I contracted for. I was blown away by the suggestions and the amount of thought that went into both the overall report and the comments and suggestions at para level on the MS.

Rosalie just did a sample first-chapter copy/line edit for me and I definitely rate her skills.

Many thanks to Decon and Camberion for your feedback, pleasure to work with you both.

If any other authors are looking to make 2018 the year they get published, please get in touch to explore the ways in which we can work together. As always, I'm happy to conduct a free sample edit of your first chapter.

My website is now up and running if you would like more information about the services I offer: https://www.clockworkeditorial.com

Offline Rob Martin

• New York
    • View Profile
    • Robert Martin Writes
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 08:06:25 AM »
So, I decided to take a chance on Rosalie's developmental editing with the first chapter of my current WIP. My father always told me, you get what you pay for, but for Rosalie's service, I'd have to disagree with him.

Timeline:
12/19/17 Sent a inquiry email asking about developmental edits.
12/20/17 Heard back from Rosalie requesting I send her the first chapter with some information about the genre. Chapter sent (~2,100 words, paranormal suspense)
12/21/17 Received confirmation of receipt from Rosalie saying that she'd get back to me with a sample developmental edit during the first week of January.
01/02/18 Received sample developmental edit.

Results:
When I sent the chapter, I really didn't have hope of hearing back much beyond, "This was torture, please don't write anything ever again," or "Have you thought of opening a pet store? This would make great lining for bird cages." What I didn't expect what what I actually got.

My sample edit covered four areas: Opening, Pace/Timing, Style, and Narrative Voice.

For the opening, she pointed out a number of positive attributes that engaged readers, then went on to point out errors both glaring and subtle. The glaring ones I already knew. The subtle ones I hadn't caught because I'd changed the MC's motivation while writing the chapter. One particular error she pointed out, namely redundancy, I have to agree with. When I write, it's like I'm trying to describe a movie in my head and I tend to jump from camera angle to camera angle. She caught every instance and didn't hesitate to let me know.

For Pacing/Timing, overall Rosalie was mostly as pleased about it as I was. She did suggest making some of my sentences shorter to give them more punch (always a good suggestion). One thing that surprised me was when she pointed out a particular instance where I could increase the tension that I wouldn't have considered. She also let me know that the pace of one scene suffered because of the MC's reaction to it. I'd loved the scene and thought Rosalie was insane. I went back and reread the scene with her comments in mind. I still think she's insane, but I also think she's correct. A couple of adjustments and the scene flowed much better.

For style, Rosalie approved of my structure and style, but gave me a few areas to work on. Most of my writing for the past twenty years has been professional or academic in nature (my Master's thesis in history was on following the expansion and contraction of the Roman empire through the production of beer), and that left its mark. Her suggestions are well received, noted and agreed with.

Finally, for Narrative Voice, she suggested I take a closer look at one of my characters. While I portrayed him at a younger age, he seemed to conceptualize events at a much older level. I wanted him to seem more aware of the paranormal world than some of the adults surrounding him, but I didn't really take into account the fact that he is still a kid who witnessed a traumatic event. This may be simply due to my inexperience in writing/storytelling, but I agree with her assessment and plan to keep a closer eye out for this going forward. This could only make be a better writer after all.

Conclusion:
I wasn't sure what to expect from this developmental edit. I know I write well for the most part, however this is my first foray into novel writing. I believe that the developmental edits I received will help do two things; 1) make my story better, and 2) make me a better author. Rosalie didn't pull any punches. She spotlighted the negatives and didn't sugar coat them. She told me the positives and pointed out how the reader would react. She even took those parts that were so-so and showed me how they could be better. To that extent, I'd recommend Rosalie for developmental editing without hesitation. Now, I just have to get her the rest of the book  :D

• Atlanta, GA
    • View Profile
    • Clockwork Editorial
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 07:59:29 AM »
I believe that the developmental edits I received will help do two things; 1) make my story better, and 2) make me a better author. Rosalie didn't pull any punches. She spotlighted the negatives and didn't sugar coat them. She told me the positives and pointed out how the reader would react. She even took those parts that were so-so and showed me how they could be better. To that extent, I'd recommend Rosalie for developmental editing without hesitation.

Many thanks for your feedback - delighted to be working with you.

Offline Alana Mills

• View Profile
Re: Developmental & copy/line editing - first chapter free, zero obligation!
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 04:14:13 PM »
I just sent off the first chapter of my book. Please let me know if you got the email.

• Atlanta, GA
    • View Profile
    • Clockwork Editorial
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2018, 09:02:08 AM »
I just sent off the first chapter of my book. Please let me know if you got the email.

Hi Alana - many thanks for getting in touch. I've received your email and sent you over a response.

Offline Alix Adale

• Pacific Northwest
  • Paranormal passion--embrace the night.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 09:51:34 PM »
Rosalie provided some deep and solid feedback on the opening chapters of a potential new novel. Great insights, not afraid to call out bad writing or weak conceptions, good stuff all around. Very diplomatic but not tip-toeing around obvious gaffes or oversights either. I provided her about a 2500 word sample and she gave back about 600 words in feedback pro bono, and while no one would expect that ratio sustained over a long period, it's encouraging the level of detail she provides and her understanding of the nuances of prose.

Paranormal passion--embrace the night.
Alix Adale | website | newsletter | twitter | goodreads

• Atlanta, GA
    • View Profile
    • Clockwork Editorial
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2018, 06:53:01 AM »
Hello all,

There are lots of fantastic proofreaders and copyeditors out there, but it's not as easy to find a good development editor. If you're looking for an experienced editor to go over your MS in detail, looking at characterization, plot, narrative voice, pace/timing, setting etc, I'd love to help.

I have some availability starting the end of Feb/beginning of March, and offer a free sample edit of your first chapter to see if we're a good fit. Please get in touch if you are interested - looking forward to working with you!

Rosalie

Offline Vidya

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2018, 08:46:14 PM »
As Rosalie said, there are many good proofreaders and copyeditors out there, but it's not as easy to find a good development editor. I submitted my first chapter to her more out of curiosity than anything else, since I didn't think anyone could really make any strong suggestions based on only a chapter.

However, Rosalie pointed out the opening paragraphs did the rest of the narrative an injustice by making the heroine sound shallow, though it's revealed a few pages later that she is anything but. I found this highlighting of possible character inconsistency very useful.

Rosalie also pointed out I overused a certain comedic device, and risked making it a bit of a parody. So I deleted some of the repetitiveness.

Rosalie pointed out the strengths as well as weaknesses in the opening, though I was naturally more interested in the weaknesses since they provided useful suggestions as to how to improve the story.

In short, I recommend her.

• Atlanta, GA
    • View Profile
    • Clockwork Editorial
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2018, 07:03:14 AM »
Thank you Vidya, I'm so pleased you found my suggestions helpful.

I always provide positive feedback on what is working well in a manuscript, alongside constructive criticism. I think it's important for authors to see what they are doing well so that they can accentuate their strongest areas, and also as a source of encouragement - writing can be an uncertain and isolating pursuit!

I am now taking bookings for late February/March, so please get in touch if you would like a free sample edit of your first chapter.

All the best,

Rosalie

Online thesmallprint

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2018, 08:31:33 AM »
I'm glad I stumbled across this thread. I haven't used a developmental editor for many years but have been struggling with a book for a long time. I sent the first chapter to Rosalie and got some very helpful feedback along with completely objective advice on the best way forward.

Highly recommended.

• Atlanta, GA
    • View Profile
    • Clockwork Editorial
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2018, 03:31:05 PM »
I'm glad I stumbled across this thread. I haven't used a developmental editor for many years but have been struggling with a book for a long time. I sent the first chapter to Rosalie and got some very helpful feedback along with completely objective advice on the best way forward.

Highly recommended.

Delighted to have been of assistance, Joe - many thanks for your kind words.

Offline Sapphire

• Omaha NE
    • View Profile
I took advantage of the free first chapter edit and am glad I did. She clearly read every word of my submission and offered both positive comments and points needing improvement. She didn't suggest anything I could disagree with. (Ha-ha, ended that sentence with a preposition. What would she have to say about that?)

I think this book is worth the investment of some dollars. I wasn't sure of the value of a developmental edit over a line/copy edit following my own revisions. I now see that value and hope I can fit it into my budget. Thank you, Rosalie.

• Atlanta, GA
    • View Profile
    • Clockwork Editorial
I took advantage of the free first chapter edit and am glad I did. She clearly read every word of my submission and offered both positive comments and points needing improvement. She didn't suggest anything I could disagree with. (Ha-ha, ended that sentence with a preposition. What would she have to say about that?)

I think this book is worth the investment of some dollars. I wasn't sure of the value of a developmental edit over a line/copy edit following my own revisions. I now see that value and hope I can fit it into my budget. Thank you, Rosalie.

Many thanks, I enjoyed reading your first chapter and hope we get the opportunity to work together on your completed MS!

New authors - perhaps you're not sure of whether or not a development or copy edit is worth it. I am happy to take a look at your first chapter, completely free of charge, to give you an idea of what you can expect. My turnaround for sample edits is currently one week, and I have availability beginning in March for new clients.

Drop me a message via Kboards or via my website - https://www.clockworkeditorial.com/contact  :)

• Atlanta, GA
    • View Profile
    • Clockwork Editorial
Hi all,

I understand how anxiety-inducing it can be to put your work out there. If we work together, you can rest assured that I'll treat your MS with confidentiality and respect, providing clear and constructive guidance for making it better and highlighting what you're already doing well.

I am now taking bookings for late March/April, and you are very welcome to try before you buy - I offer a completely free sample edit of your first chapter.

Please get in touch here or via my website if you are interested: https://www.clockworkeditorial.com/contact

I look forward to working with some new and exciting authors in the coming months!  :)

• Atlanta, GA
    • View Profile
    • Clockwork Editorial
Thank you to all the Kboards writers who've been in touch so far. It's a pleasure and a privilege to work with talented authors.

I am happy to conduct a free sample edit - copy/line or developmental - on your first chapter. This gives you a chance to see if you think we would work well together and how my edits may help to shape your work. At the same time, I respect authorial voice and writers are of course welcome to accept or reject any edits I suggest.

Drop me a message if you are interested - either here or via my website at https://www.clockworkeditorial.com/contact

Online Dragovian

• View Profile
FYI, you have a broken heading near the bottom of your FAQ page.

I've doubled my writing speed by playing on 4theWords. Come give it a try! My referral code is PFXBS32680.

• Atlanta, GA
    • View Profile
    • Clockwork Editorial
FYI, you have a broken heading near the bottom of your FAQ page.

Oops! Many thanks. I was making some changes yesterday and must have accidentally hit 'publish' before they were ready.