Author Topic: Berka Book Design - Custom and Premade Cover Design  (Read 2530 times)  

Offline Amber

• Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Berka Book Design
Berka Book Design - Custom and Premade Cover Design
« on: December 02, 2017, 10:30:50 AM »

Website/Facebook Page:
www.berkabookdesign.com
https://www.facebook.com/berkabookdesign/

Services and Pricing:
● Custom Ebook Cover - $125
● Premade Ebook Cover - $75 flat rate
Currently accepting custom work: Yes

ambermfeldkamp@gmail.com

Premade Samples

Portfolio Samples

Hey guys and dolls!
My name is Amber, former owner of Amber Covers. After a significant amount of time away (given the chance to fix some personal problems, go back to school, and expand on my design skills), I have decided to return and rebrand. Berka Book Design is a newly launched cover design studio, currently focused on high-quality premade book art. At this time, I am only taking on one custom client at a time. I will post when openings are available.

I am an experienced designer. My aesthetic leans more so towards sci fi, fantasy and horror genres. I believe in conforming to genre conventions while also giving yourself that little pop to distinguish from other authors. I am very much so looking forwards to working with this community again. Thank you!

« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 11:11:35 AM by Amber »

Offline RRodriguez

• View Profile
    • The Pixie Chronicles
Re: Berka Book Design - High Quality Pre-Made Covers
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 12:26:52 PM »
Hi there! Your covers are quite lovely, will you be posting more examples soon? :)
thepixiechronicles.com

Offline Amber

• Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Berka Book Design
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 05:32:34 PM »
Thank you so very much! :) I was waitin' my 7 days to post another update. Since I'm re-branding and making a fresh start, my portfolio under the current business is baby. I'm working on pushing out 2-3 high quality premades a week. I do have an extensive portfolio under my previous business: Amber Covers. Though I've worked on a lot of growth in design between then and now, so they don't hold as much weight as I'd like.

OLD PORTFOLIO SAMPLES

Online Greg Dragon

• "Ending is better than mending."
    • View Profile
    • GregDragon.com
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 10:22:02 PM »
Welcome back, Amber.

Online C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 11:05:39 PM »
Welcome back. Those are some killer pre-made covers. I can see the improvement from your original portfolio which I thought was already pretty good. I can't wait to see what else you come up with.

Offline Amber

• Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Berka Book Design
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 10:50:56 AM »
Thanks so much guys. :) I am currently accepting one new client for custom work. Also added a new historical fiction cover to the premade section.

Offline Amber

• Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Berka Book Design
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 07:55:27 AM »
I am looking for inspiration for my premade selection. :D Looking for blurbs from folks who are possibly in the market for a new cover. You can either post here, pm me, or drop me an email: ambermfeldkamp@gmail.com with a brief description, wanted elements, and genre (I will use a dummy title/author name). I will only be working on concepts that inspire me, and if I do create a pre-made based off of your content, you are in no way obligated to purchase. Thanks guys! ;)

Offline SA_Soule

• Northern CA
  • Author, Creativity Coach, & Avid Reader
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Author Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 08:48:39 AM »
Very creative designs! Best of luck with your business. :-D

Offline RRodriguez

• View Profile
    • The Pixie Chronicles
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 09:56:35 AM »
I am looking for inspiration for my premade selection. :D Looking for blurbs from folks who are possibly in the market for a new cover. You can either post here, pm me, or drop me an email: ambermfeldkamp@gmail.com with a brief description, wanted elements, and genre (I will use a dummy title/author name). I will only be working on concepts that inspire me, and if I do create a pre-made based off of your content, you are in no way obligated to purchase. Thanks guys! ;)

I would love to see some premades for fairytale retellings that feature beautiful men on the cover rather than the usual beautiful women :) I'm working on a whole series of them-Beauty and the Beast, Hansel and Gretel, Little Mermaid, Tin Soldier, The Swan Princess (plus lots more!), and I'm always on the looking for more covers that suit this type of vibe that feature young men or women who aren't all white.
thepixiechronicles.com

Offline Amber

• Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Berka Book Design
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 01:46:11 PM »
Doesn't quite fit the blurb I was given, but had a stroke of inspiration, which is exactly what I was looking for!

Keep them coming! ;)

I would love to see some premades for fairytale retellings that feature beautiful men on the cover rather than the usual beautiful women :) I'm working on a whole series of them-Beauty and the Beast, Hansel and Gretel, Little Mermaid, Tin Soldier, The Swan Princess (plus lots more!), and I'm always on the looking for more covers that suit this type of vibe that feature young men or women who aren't all white.

Fairy tale might be a little too niche for a pre-made, but I can definitely work on a male model fantasy type cover. :D

Online C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2017, 03:27:33 PM »
Ooo MALE wizards!!! Those are pretty rare in the premade category. Could also have male assassins, thieves, and swordsmen (more common so give him a mace.) Nobody uses maces on covers! It's always big swords or two headed axes which look cool of course, but maces! Or two headed hammer but then the dwarves would get angry!

A staff wielding wizard erects a transparent yellow shield around himself as a huge dragon breathes flame at him, haha! Everyone loves dragons on covers!

Offline Amber

• Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Berka Book Design
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 04:45:49 PM »
Ask and you shall receive!  ;) Newest premade is up featuring a male wizard. Have a couple of other designs in the works that feature non-traditional models. Still looking for more inspiration if you've got it to share! Going to be working on renovating the website this week and getting a facebook page active and running. Thanks guys!

Offline Amber

• Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Berka Book Design
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2017, 11:22:34 AM »
Before and after of my newest pre-made design!  :D As well as an alternative typography option

I am also taking custom requests and offering a discount typography package. You can check out samples on my website.  ;) Thanks guys!

I will also be giving away one free custom ebook for Christmas!

To get the ball rolling again, let's give someone a fresh cover at no cost! ;) Entering is super easy. Use the Custom Request Form on my website found here. When selecting package type, select "Free Cover Giveaway." You will be assigned a number on my spreadsheet and Christmas Eve I will use a random number generator to draw a winner! Work on free custom cover will begin on the 26th with completion expected by New Years. Free cover includes two rough concepts and up to five rounds of revisions on selected concept. This package does not include spine or back matter.

Thanks guys and Merry Christmas!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 04:49:22 PM by Amber »

Offline RRodriguez

• View Profile
    • The Pixie Chronicles
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2017, 10:16:37 AM »
Ask and you shall receive!  ;) Newest premade is up featuring a male wizard. Have a couple of other designs in the works that feature non-traditional models. Still looking for more inspiration if you've got it to share! Going to be working on renovating the website this week and getting a facebook page active and running. Thanks guys!

That's gorgeous! YES! It's so refreshing to see a man on the cover of a fantasy NOT in the typical 'brooding with a hooded cloak on' look. The colors are beautiful! I definitely look forward to any more covers you make with this same look :) Also, I signed up for your giveaway! What a lovely gesture! Fingers crossed I win ;)
thepixiechronicles.com

Offline ejdean

• View Profile
Re: Berka Book Design - Premade/Custom Cover Design - Free Cover Giveaway!
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2017, 03:35:45 PM »
These are so gorgeous!
Bookmarking for the future.

E. J. Dean

Offline Amber

• Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Berka Book Design
Re: Berka Book Design - Premade/Custom Cover Design - Free Cover Giveaway!
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2017, 06:44:50 AM »
Thank you so much guys. Really humbled by the feedback. Really excited to be back in this business.

Just a heads up, entries to the cover giveaway closes tonight at 4pm EST. Winner randomly selected at 5pm. I will update this post and my facebook once the winner has been emailed. I currently have 8 entries, so odds are pretty good. ;) I will be mostly unavailable the rest of the evening and tomorrow. So a hearty Merry Christmas! And work will start right up on Tuesday.

ETA: Winner has been emailed and announced via FB. Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 03:23:36 PM by Amber »

Offline Amber

• Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Berka Book Design
Re: Berka Book Design - Custom Covers for only $75 - Limited Time Offer
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2017, 06:00:22 PM »
LIMITED TIME OFFER

Hey guys! Hope the holiday season is treating everyone well. ;) I have a huge discount promotion launching today. In order to build that portfolio and get things moving, I am offering custom covers at a steal of a deal for only $75. Get yours booked while the sale is still going!

Custom slots can be booked via the website at: https://berkabookdesign.com/custom-request-form/
Or via a contact email at: ambermfeldkamp@gmail.com

Thanks and Happy New Year! ;D

Offline Elizabeth Barone

• Watertown, CT
  • Contemporary Romance & Suspense
    • View Profile
    • Elizabeth Barone: Contemporary Romance & Suspense
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2017, 06:33:34 PM »
I remember that Nirina Stone cover. Welcome back, Amber!

Connect With Me: BlogFacebook | Instagram | Amazon | Goodreads | Book+Main

Offline RRodriguez

• View Profile
    • The Pixie Chronicles
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2017, 07:41:52 PM »
LIMITED TIME OFFER

Hey guys! Hope the holiday season is treating everyone well. ;) I have a huge discount promotion launching today. In order to build that portfolio and get things moving, I am offering custom covers at a steal of a deal for only $75. Get yours booked while the sale is still going!

Custom slots can be booked via the website at: https://berkabookdesign.com/custom-request-form/
Or via a contact email at: ambermfeldkamp@gmail.com

Thanks and Happy New Year! ;D

Wow, that is an amazing deal! I wasn't planning on ordering my cover for a few months yet, but this might just be too irresistible to pass up. I did have a couple questions I wanted to ask first though?

1. Do you allow requests for specific images to be used, even if they're not on DepositPhotos? I've searched for ages what models I'd want, but they're all on ShutterStock.

2. Do you have any specifics you're looking for when requesting a cover? I see the box with 'Elements you want included', but what types of things are you looking for? How detailed do you prefer?

I'm not sure if these questions were better suited for this thread or a private message, but hopefully this is alright. 
thepixiechronicles.com

Offline Amber

• Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Berka Book Design
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2017, 08:55:54 PM »
I remember that Nirina Stone cover. Welcome back, Amber!

Thank you so much!

Wow, that is an amazing deal! I wasn't planning on ordering my cover for a few months yet, but this might just be too irresistible to pass up. I did have a couple questions I wanted to ask first though?

1. Do you allow requests for specific images to be used, even if they're not on DepositPhotos? I've searched for ages what models I'd want, but they're all on ShutterStock.

2. Do you have any specifics you're looking for when requesting a cover? I see the box with 'Elements you want included', but what types of things are you looking for? How detailed do you prefer?

I'm not sure if these questions were better suited for this thread or a private message, but hopefully this is alright. 

Fantastic questions.

1. I do not currently have a shutter stock subscription, so elements pulled from there would affect the cost a little (likely a ball park of around $5 per image). I don't currently have the overhead for multiple stock subscriptions. Depending on your model, we may be able to find a suitable replacement (or manipulate one at least) via depositphotos.

2. My only absolute need to knows are your author name, title, blurb, and genre. I do find that authors often have a vision in their head of how they want a cover to look. I like to hear your ideas and see if I can work a spin on it that'll satisfy both the genre and the author's vision. If there are things that are an absolute must to you (say you really want a blonde model with her back to the audience) then those are things I like to see mentioned in this section.

My process is pretty simple and straight forward. I take your information and create a vision board that pools covers of the same genre, color schemes, font choices, and stock options to draw inspiration on. From there I develop two different rough conceptual mockups and allow the author to select their choice for polishing. That mockup goes into draft phase and we enter into up to five rounds of revisions before delivering final product. :)

Online Becca Mills

• California
    • View Profile
    • website
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2017, 09:24:30 PM »
Greetings, Amber! You're welcome to promote your business and website here in the Writers' Cafe.

Now that you have an official thread, you'll want to add your listing to our Yellow Pages, found here: http://www.kboards.com/yp/. The listing is free to KB members and is completely self-service; you can add and edit your listing from the page. More information on our Yellow Pages listing can be found here.

In your thread here, we ask that the same basic rules be followed as we have for authors in the Book Bazaar: you may have this one thread about your service and must post to it rather than start a new thread each time. New threads about the service will be removed. Please bookmark this thread so that you can find it again when you want to post. You may not make back-to-back posts to the thread within seven days. If someone responds (as I'm doing with this post), you may reply to them, but otherwise you must wait seven days. Any pattern of posting designed to artificially bump your thread to the top of the forum is prohibited. Please note that very short or (one- or two-word) posts with no meaningful information are discouraged and may be deleted at the moderators' discretion. Lastly, your posts and images will need to meet our "forum decorum" guidelines, which is the case for every member.

You may find that members ask searching questions -- about how your service works, for example, or what they will get for their money, or whether your service adheres to Amazon's terms of service. Such "vetting" is a common here.

Note that members are allowed to provide civil and honest feedback about your service in this thread. This feedback may include criticisms as well as kudos. You may respond to criticism in a civil manner, but name-calling, badgering, accusations of lying, and other breaches of forum decorum can lead to loss of vendor posting privileges.

Any and all disputes between you and your clients should be handled off-site.

Thanks,
Becca
KBoards Moderator

(Note that this welcome does not constitute an endorsement or vetting of a service by KBoards. Members should do due diligence when considering using a service.)

Offline ejdean

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2018, 03:55:31 PM »
I recently took advantage of the custom cover special Amber is offering and Im so pleased with the new cover she designed for me. Ive had very positive feedback from it. Plus she has some great ideas for the other three in the series.

Thanks, Amber!

E. J. Dean

Offline Amber

• Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Berka Book Design
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2018, 07:17:22 PM »
Hey guys! Discount my $75 discount will be running for anyone who books between now and February 1st! ;) My next availability is currently Jan 15 and slots are booking fast. So don't miss out while you have the opportunity.

Thank you EJ for the warm shout out. Just wrapped up working on the first two books in her lovely wholesome romance series and I adore the way they came out! <3

Offline Amber

• Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Berka Book Design
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2018, 09:53:37 AM »
Been a very busy week! Have a few cover reveals to share. :D But first, wanted to give a heads up that my $75 cover discount will be ending February 1st. Any new commissions after that date will be at a small price bump of $99. I do plan to steadily bump this price up. So make sure you're booking your slot before it does. I have two openings left in January and three in February.

New Fantasy Premade:

Newest Completed Commission:

Currently Polishing Series:

Offline Trinity23

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2018, 06:34:31 PM »
I'm coming out of lurker-mode to say how much I loved working with Amber over the past week. She designed a horror cover for me.

I cannot say enough good things about the entire process. She is fast, has great ideas of her own but she is able to listen and work WITH you at the same time. Not many designers can do that.

Thank you Amber!