Need Perfect Gift? Shop Amazon Gift Cards. Any Occasion.

Author Topic: Analyzing Bookbub Ad results  (Read 2133 times)  

Offline JRTomlin

• View Profile
    • J. R. Tomlin on Writing and More
Analyzing Bookbub Ad results
« on: December 02, 2017, 02:20:32 PM »
Any hints on how to go about it and what to look for? I don't generally use click through advertising and just started my first ad with a small budget to experiment to find what (if anything) works for me. However, I'm at a bit of a loss what to look for and what stats qualify as 'good results'.

Saor Alba
J. R. Tomlin | J. R. Tomlin | Writing and More

Offline Nicholas Erik

• View Profile
Re: Analyzing Bookbub Ad results
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 02:23:41 PM »
Generally speaking, you want to see a CTR of 1%+ and CPCs (cost per clicks) of $0.40 or less (BookBub tends to be a little pricier than other ad platforms). I start getting skeptical when CTR drops below 2%, but I'm in a pretty competitive genre (urban fantasy) where clicks tend to be expensive. There are some genres where you can have sub 1% CTRs and still be getting really cheap clicks.

If you post your aggregate stats for the ad, and also the ad (or ads) itself, that'd help make a more exact assessment.

Nick

Offline Mark Dawson

• London, UK
    • View Profile
    • Mark Dawson
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 02:53:14 PM »
Are you making a profit? Everything else is subsidiary (although often instructive).

Online dgaughran

• Dublin
  • Let's Get Digital
    • View Profile
    • David Gaughran
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 03:49:08 PM »
Lot of variables but as a very general rule of thumb I'm happy with 2.5%+ on an Amazon US 99c book, will look at tweaking targeting or image below that, will probably kill anything at under 2%. And I'd want higher from a freebie (and expect better outside the US and outside Amazon).

David Gaughran | mailing list | blog | website | facebook | twitter
LET'S GET DIGITAL 2 Free for purchasers of the 1st edition! Instructions here

Offline markobeezy

• DFW, Texas, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 06:32:19 PM »
Interesting.
Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.  ~Dr. Anton Chekhov
Medicine is my lawful wife and literature is my mistress. ~Dr. Anton Chekhov

Offline JRTomlin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 10:19:54 PM »
Are you making a profit? Everything else is subsidiary (although often instructive).
That is basically what you are analyzing. With CTR ads that information isn't necessarily right in front of you.

Saor Alba

Offline Nicholas Erik

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 10:21:45 PM »
Lot of variables but as a very general rule of thumb I'm happy with 2.5%+ on an Amazon US 99c book, will look at tweaking targeting or image below that, will probably kill anything at under 2%. And I'd want higher from a freebie (and expect better outside the US and outside Amazon).

If you don't mind sharing, what kind of ad creative are you using to get 2.5%+ for Amazon targeting? I've found that to be pretty rare in my experience, so any guidance would be helpful.

Nick

Online dgaughran

• Dublin
  • Let's Get Digital
    • View Profile
    • David Gaughran
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 01:40:28 AM »
The targeting is at least as important, as you know, but this kind of ad was getting 3.9% for me: https://www.canva.com/design/DACoDJ4DRto/view

And this one was getting a solid 2.9%/3%: https://www.canva.com/design/DACn4uena4U/8PrpdlR5a0FVNaKd0TM9iw/view

Let me know if those links don't work, I'm trying to share from Canva. I don't know about all other genres, but I regularly get those results on Amazon US in SF and HF, and my friends do likewise in Thrillers and Romance, so it is doable. Took a good bit of fiddling to get images that worked and tight enough targeting.

I wrote a little about finding your comps on BB and all that in this blog post on Friday in case it helps anyone - https://davidgaughran.wordpress.com/2017/12/01/bookbub-cpm-ads-and-wide-distribution/ - but this is probably the most relevant para:

Great CTR on BookBub is about two things really: images and targeting. [...] I usually find a tight group of four or five good comp authors works best, although that really depends on how many followers they have. For me at least, targeting very big authors can be risky as they have the broadest, most diverse audience. Although I know others get joy from that.

[...]

An excellent comp author on Facebook or AMS might not be such a great candidate on BookBub where their audience size will be hugely skewed on whether they (or their publisher) runs many BookBub Deals or not.

Offline PhoenixS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 08:06:34 AM »
I'll echo David's observation about targeting, and about AMS targets not necessarily being good BB candidates. Here's a 3-day campaign I just recently completed with a $200 spend.

I ONLY ran the ad on Amazon US (for a non-series book on 99 Countdown). Each ad targeted about 5-6 authors in SF/Thrillers. Same ad creative I've used before, with many author targets vetted from previous runs. But I also threw in a group of a half-dozen authors that were trending well on AMS.

Only one ad performed under 3.25% -- and it was markedly lower at 1.9%. Guess which group of authors that was?

Interestingly, this was the third campaign run for this ad, with a $150 budget each the first two times. This run, with a $50 bigger budget, had a CPC of about 22 cents, which was much less than the previous two runs (which were 47 and 30 cents). Just when you think the saturation point may have been reached, it hasn't necessarily been. Nor does it necessarily cost more to get the same or better results. As I get better with targeting, my cost per click is going down.

I'll likely play with the CPC option mid-month on a romance box (romance is hugely competitive). So far I've only run the CPM option on any ad, so no insights yet on what good results for the CPC option are.

And yeah, that 10.75% ad group -- that was actually down from a 14% start. Obviously my sweet spot of comp authors. But no matter how much I threatened or cajoled, I couldn't get that ad to serve more than half its budget that first day.

Offline Catherine Lea

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 08:59:59 AM »
Maybe it's just me, but I've found Bookbub ads an incredibly effective way to burn through money with disturbingly meagre results. But as I say, it could be just me.

There's no such thing as a simple plan.
Catherine Lea | Amazon | Amazon | Amazon | Amazon | Amazon | Amazon

Online dgaughran

• Dublin
  • Let's Get Digital
    • View Profile
    • David Gaughran
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2017, 09:03:55 AM »
You're not entirely wrong. If your graphic or targeting is even a little off, CTR collapses - which can be the difference between 20c clicks and $2 clicks. It's fairly unforgiving in that way, and your money disappears FAST unless you restrict the spend (which I recommend doing until testing shows your CTR is good enough).

The learning curve is much quicker than FB though, and the platform has a number of unique advantages - you can switch it on and off like a tap (again, when your targeting/image is good enough to give you reliably good CTRs), meaning you can drop it in anywhere on your promo schedule to fill any gaps if, say, your ads bunched up because that's all that was available. It's also the only way I know of to easily target tiny reader pockets like, say, Kobo UK or Google AU. Also possibly on FB but tricky to get any serving when targeting a narrow niche in a small market.

Online C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2017, 09:50:49 AM »

This. Click-thru rate is useless, know your click rate and conversion ratio. What is an acceptable Cost Per Click is going to depend on what your goal is. Income? Visibility? BookBub shoppers are bargain shoppers, so I'd advertise a bargain.

I write books about Change, Chaos, and Loki
C. Gockel | facebook | tumblr | website

Online dgaughran

• Dublin
  • Let's Get Digital
    • View Profile
    • David Gaughran
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2017, 09:54:31 AM »
This. Click-thru rate is useless.

Conversion is important, obviously, but because such tight comps are needed for good CTR(+conversion) then you run through effective audience quite quickly. Having a higher CTR means you stretch it out a little longer.

Also, CTR is incredibly important for another reason. It's largely a CPM platform, meaning your CTR will decide your effective CPC. The higher your CTR is, the cheaper those clicks will be, which makes converting to a profitable level much, much easier.

I don't know how anyone could use the BB ad platform and say CTR isn't important. It's the key to success there.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 10:03:17 AM by dgaughran »

Offline JRTomlin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2017, 03:58:19 PM »
I am running ads as experiments on very limited budgets so I'm not worried about burning through money, but my 1st experiment with an author who does well on AMS? Underwhelming.

Phoenix, do you have any suggestions on finding good comp authors? The ones on the Also Bought list don't really have enough BB followers to be good prospects, so if AMS isn't good, what would be a good way to choose? I must admit to being stumped.

Saor Alba

Online C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2017, 09:31:48 AM »

I don't know how anyone could use the BB ad platform and say CTR isn't important. It's the key to success there.

No, Cost-Per-Click is important, not Click Thru Rate. (Conversion is obviously important too, more later.) Click Thru Rate doesn't tell you what you're paying per click. If you are getting fabulous Click Thru, but the clicks cost you $2 each (as they might if you're targeting a genre or a very popular author) the add still sucks cheese balls.

On conversion ... I find BookBub ads convert about the same as everything else out there. So for free books I'm looking at 40% conversion, and for 99-cent books around 25%.

Offline Martitalbott

• Marti Talbott
    • View Profile
    • Marti Talbott's Books
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2017, 09:43:01 AM »
Bookbub ads don't work for me at all. It's just a money drain.

Online dgaughran

• Dublin
  • Let's Get Digital
    • View Profile
    • David Gaughran
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2017, 01:42:44 PM »
No, Cost-Per-Click is important, not Click Thru Rate. (Conversion is obviously important too, more later.) Click Thru Rate doesn't tell you what you're paying per click. If you are getting fabulous Click Thru, but the clicks cost you $2 each (as they might if you're targeting a genre or a very popular author) the add still sucks cheese balls.

Unless you are beta-ing the CPC platform, ads are charged by CPM. This means that the higher your CTR, the lower the CPC. The CTR decides the CPC. The higher your CTR, the lower the CPC.

An example: if your effective CPM is $10.00 and your ad serves 10,000 times, this will cost you $100. The CTR is 5%, giving you 500 clicks and, thus, a CPC of 20c. But if your CTR is only 1%, this means you only got 100 clicks and this gave you a CPC as high as $1 per.

Again, the CTR decides the CPC. It's the most important thing on BookBub CPM ads. And that's even before you get into premature audience exhaustion from low CTRs

Offline Nicholas Erik

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2017, 05:13:22 PM »
Thanks for the images/data, David and Phoenix. Back to the marketing lab. More things to test.

Nick

Offline JRTomlin

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2017, 05:33:59 PM »
Right at the moment, my big struggle is with targeting. I seem to be stuck with guessing which authors to use.

Saor Alba

Offline Sapphire

• Omaha NE
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2017, 06:49:21 AM »
Acronym translation needed:
I think I'm reading some of these wrong, and I doubt I'm the only one. ???
Please define CPM, CTR, CPC, and any other C's you're all using.
(I'm pretty low on the promotional knowledge curve, but I'm slowly learning.)

« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 08:33:24 AM by Sapphire »

Online Anarchist

• Methodological individualist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2017, 08:03:23 AM »

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

Online C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2017, 08:36:58 AM »

So, correct my math for me, but that is $17.47/173 and so equals 10-cents a click, right? And the Click Thru Rate is 10+%

Here's results for an ad of mine with a Click Thru Rate of 2.37%.

If you do the math $3.68/37 is slightly less than 10-cents per click, even with that tiny 2.37% CTR.

This shows that cost is definitely NOT determined by CTR . It is probably determined by the number of people you are bidding against.

Online dgaughran

• Dublin
  • Let's Get Digital
    • View Profile
    • David Gaughran
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2017, 08:45:31 AM »
This shows that cost is definitely NOT determined by CTR . It is probably determined by the number of people you are bidding against.

This is quite a weird example because your CPM is bizarrely low, but let's run with it.

CPM is the cost per impressions. That's determined by the number of people you are bidding against. CPMs of $9.50-$11.50 would be more normal on Amazon US. It's outside your control anyway, you either win the auction or you lose.

CTR is within your control. You can improve it with image or targeting. That's why I recommend focusing hard on CTR. It's under your control.

Both decide the CPC ultimately. But CTR is the big variable that can swing wildly AND the one you truly influence.

Online C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2017, 09:19:50 AM »
This is quite a weird example because your CPM is bizarrely low, but let's run with it.

::)

Online C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2017, 09:24:22 AM »
Those aren't, by the way, all the ads I had out there. (Currently they are all paused because I had a BookBub deal for a a title in the same series. I plan to turn them all back on when the deal comes down.)

I target smaller authors whose work is similar to mine per advice I got here on kboards. I also bid extremely low. A lot of high bidders use up all their juice in the morning. I get no impressions or clicks during that time. Afternoon and night I start getting them.

Online Anarchist

• Methodological individualist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2017, 09:53:38 AM »
Those aren't, by the way, all the ads I had out there. (Currently they are all paused because I had a BookBub deal for a a title in the same series. I plan to turn them all back on when the deal comes down.)

I target smaller authors whose work is similar to mine per advice I got here on kboards. I also bid extremely low. A lot of high bidders use up all their juice in the morning. I get no impressions or clicks during that time. Afternoon and night I start getting them.

One of your campaigns (in the graphic you posted) delivered hundreds of $0.05 clicks. And another that delivered 700+ clicks under $0.06.

That's...

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

Online C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2017, 10:11:21 AM »
One of your campaigns (in the graphic you posted) delivered hundreds of $0.05 clicks. And another that delivered 700+ clicks under $0.06.

That's...

Mind you, these ads are all for free books, but I do think <15-cents is usually acceptable for them. (20-cents to 30-cents is all I will tolerate for 99-centers.)

In a past life I created banner ads for Fortune 500 financial companies. I got to be pretty good at it.

Offline katie78

• Tucson, AZ
  • I'm a hybrid author with several published novels.
    • View Profile
    • Katie O'Rourke
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2017, 10:56:56 AM »
are bookbub ads effective for certain genres and not others? i write contemporary fiction, not genre, and i'm getting nowhere.

Offline Nicholas Erik

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2017, 11:08:34 AM »
Mind you, these ads are all for free books, but I do think <15-cents is usually acceptable for them. (20-cents to 30-cents is all I will tolerate for 99-centers.)

In a past life I created banner ads for Fortune 500 financial companies. I got to be pretty good at it.

If you wouldn't mind sharing, could you show some of the creative you're using? This is fascinating, because the lowest I've gotten clicks for a free book is around $0.17 - $0.19; I'm curious whether it's the targeting, bidding, or image that need work (or, perhaps, all three).

Nick

Online C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2017, 11:18:49 AM »
If you wouldn't mind sharing, could you show some of the creative you're using?

This is based off of my second-best performing FB ad (I figured as the competition got steeper I'd convert my top performer to 300x250 format.)

I target smaller authors and keep my bids low.

Here is a 99-cent box set that did well (20-cents - 30-cents a click.) I used the same rules: smaller authors, low bid.

ETA: I haven't really tried 99-cents for a singleton. Also, every short story antho I tried fell flat.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 11:28:52 AM by C. Gockel »

Online C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2017, 11:35:45 AM »
are bookbub ads effective for certain genres and not others? i write contemporary fiction, not genre, and i'm getting nowhere.

I don't know. Show your ad here, maybe people can chime in and let you know if it works?

Offline Nicholas Erik

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2017, 12:37:28 PM »
Thanks, C. Gockel. More to think about, more to test.

Nick

Offline VirginiaMcClain

• View Profile
    • Rain on a Summer's Afternoon
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2017, 01:05:19 PM »
Does it make sense to test ad effectiveness (copy, image choice, etc.) with CPC ads so you can be sure your budget actually gets you some amount of click through, and then switch to CPM once you've got something effective to minimize cost? Or is that not a good strategy?
Warning: Stories may contain bad*ss women, possibly wielding katana
Virginia McClain | Blog | Website

Online C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2017, 02:09:22 PM »
Does it make sense to test ad effectiveness (copy, image choice, etc.) with CPC ads so you can be sure your budget actually gets you some amount of click through, and then switch to CPM once you've got something effective to minimize cost? Or is that not a good strategy?

I turned off all my ads a little while ago because the series I promote has a BookBub deal right now. Haven't even tried the new CPC option ... or do you mean in general?

I actually used FB to test images and copy, and then just used the 2nd best on a BookBub ad. I didn't do a lot of testing, since it did well out the gate.

However, if I were going to test I'd do the same image with slightly different copy targeted to the same big name author in my genre. Pick the best copy and try it on two new images. I kind of have a feel for good images and copy because I created adds for many years. You want it to be legible, you want to state your value proposition, you want to have a call to action. Other than that, a lot is going to depend on your genre I suspect.

Offline VirginiaMcClain

• View Profile
    • Rain on a Summer's Afternoon
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2017, 04:06:48 PM »
I turned off all my ads a little while ago because the series I promote has a BookBub deal right now. Haven't even tried the new CPC option ... or do you mean in general?

I actually used FB to test images and copy, and then just used the 2nd best on a BookBub ad. I didn't do a lot of testing, since it did well out the gate.

However, if I were going to test I'd do the same image with slightly different copy targeted to the same big name author in my genre. Pick the best copy and try it on two new images. I kind of have a feel for good images and copy because I created adds for many years. You want it to be legible, you want to state your value proposition, you want to have a call to action. Other than that, a lot is going to depend on your genre I suspect.

I do mean for CPC vs CPM on Bookbub specifically, and for those of us without your extensive marketing background who need to test in order to sort out what works best. Although, as you say, testing on FB ads first might be a good way to go about it regardless. Thanks for that!
Warning: Stories may contain bad*ss women, possibly wielding katana
Virginia McClain | Blog | Website

Online C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2017, 07:01:23 PM »
I do mean for CPC vs CPM on Bookbub specifically, and for those of us without your extensive marketing background who need to test in order to sort out what works best. Although, as you say, testing on FB ads first might be a good way to go about it regardless. Thanks for that!

I don't really know that FB is really better, it's just by the time I got to BookBub CPM ads I'd already had a lot of experience with Facebook. BookBub actually lets you target a lot of the smaller authors--and that is nice. Facebook let's you target interests, and then refine with habits (like reading) and THAT is really nice.

Offline JRTomlin

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2017, 08:48:38 PM »
How many followers do you need authors to have to put together a good campaign? I'm looking at one possibility from my AB lists with 6000 and a couple of others with about 2000. I could combine them.  Of course, some of their lists could overlap since they're in the same or closely related genres. Any suggestions on a workable number?

I get good results on AMS from a couple of big name authors with 100k+ followers but I am skeptical about using those and they aren't on my AB lists.

Saor Alba

Offline Rod Little

• View Profile
    • Rod Little Author
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2017, 11:01:51 PM »
I have had moderate to poor success on full priced books ($3.99).  CTR from 7% down to 0.03% with wild swings in success (or lack of). Still experimenting with graphics and author targeting.

It can be a money drain.... but it's easier than FB. Twitter can also be a money drain (lots of clicks but few sales). At least I get good sales with FB and BB (sometimes).
The Last Starbase: 10%

The 100 Prequel: 15%

Revenge of the Spiders: 100%
Sci-Fi, Alien Invasion, Post-apocalyptic
website | Book Trailer | Twitter | FB

Offline HopelessFanatic

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2017, 07:20:55 AM »

I think both you and David are right, but might be talking about different things. Both CPM and CTR determine cpc together. They are both important.

CTR becomes more and more important the higher your CPM. But even at a low CPM, the higher your CTR, the lower your cpc.

I think they are two tactics when using BB ads. One is to keep steady, low spend (CPM bids) ads. I think the biggest drawback with this tactic is scaling. But BB ads in my experience are harder to scale than FB or AMS, but the targeting is superior. The other tactic is to bid higher and focus on CTR to keep CPC low. These are good for a short burst, like during a short term promo, but lose effectiveness over time (sometimes rapidly) as an audience is saturated. And I've found my best targets for CTR saturate very quickly. Lowering my CPM bid extends an ads life, but also lowers daily impressions, slowing sales.   

Different current goals changes how to effective approach BB ads in my experience. 

Online C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2017, 11:31:44 AM »
How many followers do you need authors to have to put together a good campaign? I'm looking at one possibility from my AB lists with 6000 and a couple of others with about 2000. I could combine them.  Of course, some of their lists could overlap since they're in the same or closely related genres. Any suggestions on a workable number?

I get good results on AMS from a couple of big name authors with 100k+ followers but I am skeptical about using those and they aren't on my AB lists.

I don't know. If BookBub says it's too small I add another (small) author.

If an author is super big, they tend to cost more. For instance, Neil Gaiman and I both write Norse Mythology with a humorous/philosophical slant, but he's too expensive in BookBub for me.

Online C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2017, 11:32:47 AM »
I have had moderate to poor success on full priced books ($3.99).  CTR from 7% down to 0.03% with wild swings in success (or lack of). Still experimenting with graphics and author targeting.

It can be a money drain.... but it's easier than FB. Twitter can also be a money drain (lots of clicks but few sales). At least I get good sales with FB and BB (sometimes).

I've found that FB can work pretty well with full priced books. I also like AMS for full-priced books. I wouldn't even try a full-priced book with BB ads.

Online C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2017, 11:34:29 AM »
One is to keep steady, low spend (CPM bids) ads. I think the biggest drawback with this tactic is scaling. But BB ads in my experience are harder to scale than FB or AMS, but the targeting is superior. The other tactic is to bid higher and focus on CTR to keep CPC low. These are good for a short burst, like during a short term promo, but lose effectiveness over time (sometimes rapidly) as an audience is saturated. And I've found my best targets for CTR saturate very quickly. Lowering my CPM bid extends an ads life, but also lowers daily impressions, slowing sales.   

I use BB ads for slow steady sales. You're right, with my tactics you won't always get a lot of impressions, and hence clicks. Though the clicks will be cheap.

Offline katie78

• Tucson, AZ
    • View Profile
    • Katie O'Rourke
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2017, 03:53:43 PM »
I don't know. Show your ad here, maybe people can chime in and let you know if it works?

Online C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2017, 08:07:46 PM »

Okay, take this for what it's worth:
- Get rid of the vendor logos. If you must, say "Available on All Vendors" They are too small to read.
- State the price. If it isn't 99-cents or less, don't use BookBub CPM, use FB and AMS
- Say something about the book. Try a few taglines in AMS (since you don't have to mess with graphics.) Something short and emotionally gripping. It's your genre, what is a tagline that would hook you immediately?
- Keep the five stars at the top and the author name, but loose the quote. It's too small to read.
- Maybe try a photo that captures the mood instead of the book itself.
- The ad is too small--use the whole 250 height.
- Get a button or a "link" (i.e. text with underline) or something with a call-to-action. "Click Here" / "Download Now"

Offline katie78

• Tucson, AZ
    • View Profile
    • Katie O'Rourke
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2017, 09:02:35 PM »
Okay, take this for what it's worth:
- Get rid of the vendor logos. If you must, say "Available on All Vendors" They are too small to read.
- State the price. If it isn't 99-cents or less, don't use BookBub CPM, use FB and AMS
- Say something about the book. Try a few taglines in AMS (since you don't have to mess with graphics.) Something short and emotionally gripping. It's your genre, what is a tagline that would hook you immediately?
- Keep the five stars at the top and the author name, but loose the quote. It's too small to read.
- Maybe try a photo that captures the mood instead of the book itself.
- The ad is too small--use the whole 250 height.
- Get a button or a "link" (i.e. text with underline) or something with a call-to-action. "Click Here" / "Download Now"
thanks. that really helps. i don't know   anything about creating images on canva or wherever so i guess i'll need to figure that out next. (a graphic designer made me this one for facebook.)

self-publishing means having ever-developing skill sets! every time i think i have it figured out, something  new comes up. it's certainly never boring.

Online C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2017, 06:09:09 AM »
thanks. that really helps. i don't know   anything about creating images on canva or wherever so i guess i'll need to figure that out next. (a graphic designer made me this one for facebook.)

self-publishing means having ever-developing skill sets! every time i think i have it figured out, something  new comes up. it's certainly never boring.

Are you in AMS? Before you start playing with the graphics work on your taglines there!

Online AliceS

• Asheville, NC
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2017, 06:28:37 AM »
A very informative thread!

Post-Apocalyptic, Space Fantasy and Mystery
Alice Sabo | Blog | Facebook | Website

Offline JRTomlin

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2017, 03:28:42 PM »
I don't know. If BookBub says it's too small I add another (small) author.

If an author is super big, they tend to cost more. For instance, Neil Gaiman and I both write Norse Mythology with a humorous/philosophical slant, but he's too expensive in BookBub for me.
Ah, Bookbub will tell you. That's interesting. They haven't so far, but I've paused while I wait for a new ad.

Saor Alba