Author Topic: unauthorized purchases and tons of "registered devices"  (Read 335 times)  

Offline pango13

• View Profile
unauthorized purchases and tons of "registered devices"
« on: December 04, 2017, 10:18:48 AM »
This morning I got an email notifying me of 2 kindle purchases on my amazon account. I navigated to digital orders on my amazon account and sure enough there were the 2 orders. worth maybe 15 dollars total.

I requested refunds for the 2 orders, and then checked out my "registered kindle devices" and saw that i had about 20 devices listed. 3 of them were registered with my email [myusername]@gmail.com and those were probably mine, but then the other 17 were registered as "[myusername]_84@kindle.com", with each one having a different number at the end.

I went ahead and deregistered everything, and changed my amazon account password, but I'm just wondering if anyone knows what happened here?  :'(

Offline NightReader

• View Profile
Re: unauthorized purchases and tons of "registered devices"
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 06:53:38 PM »
When you get new devices, Amazon gives them their own email address for "send to kindle", but I can't imagine why you would suddenly have 17 new devices.  What were they?  Any chance someone in your family is buying you a new kindle for the holidays and something went wrong registering it?

Offline MLPMom

• View Profile
    • My Guilty Obsession Book Reviews
Re: unauthorized purchases and tons of "registered devices"
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 05:44:43 PM »
Keep in mind too all devices are registered, including tablets, the Firebox and Fire Stick, Echo..etc. So some of those devices might actually be ones you own.

If not, it sounds like your account was hacked. I would change your password on Amazon immediately.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.-Jane Austen
I also have a book blog where I review a new Indie Author every week. http://myguiltyobsession.blogspot.com/