Need a new Case? Save $30 with code SPARKLE30 + Free Shipping at Case-Mate.com! Offer ends 12/15.

Author Topic: Prime Reading--how different from Kindle unlimited  (Read 214 times)  

Offline joangolfing

• View Profile
Prime Reading--how different from Kindle unlimited
« on: December 05, 2017, 04:21:57 AM »
How did I miss this?  I have been getting a free book once a month by borrowing it but haven't done that in about 6 months.  Is this a newer way of doing that same thing. And Kindle Unlimited charges a monthly fee for all books you want to read. Please fill me in on this benefit of Prime membership.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
Re: Prime Reading--how different from Kindle unlimited
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 04:38:44 AM »
Kindle Unlimited -- Prime Reading -- Kindle Owners Lending Library: Three different and distinct programs, though there is a fair bit of overlap in titles available.

Kindle Unlimited: you pay for it, around $10 a month. You can borrow as many titles as you like from the KU catalog but can only have 10 'checked out' at a time.

Kindle Owners Lending Library: Available ONLY to kindle owners -- so if you just use the app on a tablet or phone you're not eligible. (Fires do count, I think.) Many KU titles are also KOLL titles, but not all. You can borrow ONE title a month and must do it from the kindle device. You can keep it as long as you like, but can't get another until you return it.

Prime Reading: Available for Prime members only. The catalog is curated so much smaller than KU. You can borrow up to 10 titles at a time and keep them as long as you like.

PRIME membership has a whole bunch of benefits, the chief of which, for most, is the free -- i.e. no extra charge -- 2 day shipping on most items. Sometimes you can even get same day delivery for free. There are also movies and music you can stream for free, and one free kindle book a month via Prime First reads (formerly Kindle first.) Also, a significant amount of cloud storage for pictures, etc.

Also, with Prime there are things you can do with Echo that you can't if you're not a Prime member. And you can sign up for the new 'leave the package in your house' service if you're a Prime member.

Details may be found here.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline joangolfing

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 01:10:03 PM »
Thanks I learned alot from your post.

Offline __Amy__

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 04:24:05 AM »

Prime Reading: Available for Prime members only. The catalog is curated so much smaller than KU. You can borrow up to 10 titles at a time and keep them as long as you like.

Details may be found here.

Thanks, I didnt know about Prime Reading.  Can I read a borrowed book on all devices?

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 04:26:36 AM »
Thanks, I didnt know about Prime Reading.  Can I read a borrowed book on all devices?

Once a book borrowed via Prime Reading is in your library, you can send it to any device on your account.

In the Manage Your Content and Devices section, you can set it to show only borrowed books. This will show library borrows, Prime borrows, KU borrows and/or KOLL borrows.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 08:45:18 AM »
I had forgotten all about Prime Reading and the Lending Library. Thanks for the reminder.
Words with Friends: Jane917

(Make your own reading bar)

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac