Need a new Case? Save $30 with code SPARKLE30 + Free Shipping at Case-Mate.com! Offer ends 12/15.

Author Topic: On typesetting  (Read 285 times)  

Online Al Stevens

• View Profile
On typesetting
« on: December 05, 2017, 08:06:45 PM »
Two days just spent typesetting my new release for a paperback. It shouldn't have taken that long but I had to learn the program all over again. I use Scribus and I referred step-by-step to a tutorial I wrote several years back about how to format a novel with Scribus.

Next, I must convert my e-book cover to a paperback cover. That will take at least another day, but this time I don't need to relearn the procedure. I've been through it twice already this year for my music books.

One decision left. KDP or CreateSpace? I'd like to give the KDP process a run, and I launched the project, but there's no mention so far about author copies. That's a deal breaker for me. I've read here that some authors have been offered a participation in their beta program for author copies. I don't want to commit to KDP until I know for sure I'll be able to buy copies of my own book at cost. What's the latest skinny on that option?

Offline Sleeping Cat Books

• Helping you reach your publishing goals since 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sleeping Cat Books
Re: On typesetting
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 03:21:32 AM »
The latest I've seen in the KDP Community is that they're still not available across the board. If you want proof or author copies, stick with CreateSpace to be sure.
Providing editing and book design services to independent authors
Sarah Holroyd | Sleeping Cat Books | Sleeping Cat Press | discussion

Offline TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 07:03:43 AM »
CreateSpace has great tech support, so I'm going to stay with them as long as possible. Good tech support is a pleasure. Rare, too.

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter

Offline notjohn

• View Profile
    • Notjohn's Self-Publishing Guide
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 03:21:19 PM »
As posted, author copies is still Beta. Indeed, the whole KDP Print thing is still Beta by any reasonable standard.

KDP Print is getting there, as it dang well should be, fifteen months after launch! But it's not there yet. Stick with CreateSpace as long as it exists, and if it ceases to exist (or you're starting fresh), then go with IngramSpark.
Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: http://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

Offline cvwriter

• View Profile
    • Courtney Vail
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 03:37:04 PM »
You can easily switch to KDP later, but you can't switch over to CS. I'd go with Create space first. You might regret launching with KDP.
Get it FREE >> Get it FREE >>       

Online Al Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 07:56:11 PM »
I went with CS. Funny, because the only reason I decided to do a paperback was to try out the KDP service. As I got into it, I didn't like what I saw. Or didn't see, actually. So today I took the project back to CS. It's in waiting for a review. I already found a small glitch in the story that was not historically accurate, so as soon as I get out of the review, I'll upload again and go back into review. I think I did that at least five times on the piano book. In the old days with offset print runs, once it was typeset we were stuck with it until the next edition came out if ever. Now, with POD, we see a glitch, we fix it and upload.