Need a new Case? Save $30 with code SPARKLE30 + Free Shipping at Case-Mate.com! Offer ends 12/15.

Author Topic: James Patterson writing class  (Read 827 times)  

Offline okey dokey

• View Profile
James Patterson writing class
« on: December 06, 2017, 09:26:15 AM »
Has anyone taken the James Patterson writing class?
Would appreciate your experience before I invest the $90

Online scott.marmorstein

• North Philly
    • View Profile
    • Scott Marmorstein
Re: James Patterson writing class
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 09:31:35 AM »

Are you talking about his 'Master Class'? I personally do not care for the way he conducts his writing career, nor for 'his' writing. He uses a lot of people to help him churn out books. But hey, whatever works for him, I guess.

I don't think I'd take the class if I were paid $90.

PREVAIL - Owen Hunter Series Book 3: 99%
Scott Marmorstein | blog | web | facebook

Offline Ryn Shell

• View Profile
    • Ryn Shell books
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 09:48:50 AM »
Highly entertaining way to pass the time while using a treadmill if the $90. is affordable to you. It would be great for someone starting out to write, and of less value to a professional writer.

Creativity is timeless.
Ryn Shell

Online IoneKeeling

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 09:53:03 AM »
Highly entertaining way to pass the time while using a treadmill if the $90. is affordable to you. It would be great for someone starting out to write, and of less value to a professional writer.

I have trouble listening to him (I did buy the class after it had been out about 6 months or so) and a lot of it is just more self-promotion in lecture form. HOWEVER, I'm told (as a pantser) that if I can stomach my way through to the point where he discusses plotting, I'll strike gold.

Online randallcfloyd

• View Profile
    • Writing Tips
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 09:59:34 AM »
I havent taken the class myself, but I love Patterson's books. Dis you go to university? If so, how much money did you spend on classes you'll never use in real life? I'm guessing it was probably more than $90.

Patterson's class is meant for beginning writers and there is supposedly some great stuff in there about piecing together great stories. If you're a newer writer I think you should go for it if your gut us telling you to.

As an aside, is recommend you listen to the Story Grid podcast. Its free, has hundreds of hours of amazing content, and will really help your writing.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

Gryphus: 28%
Fiction Site | Writing Tips

Online IoneKeeling

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 10:05:16 AM »
I will also add that paying for the class saved me a lot of time AFTERWARDS wondering if I should pay for it. If you find you keep looking at the ad for it, starting kboards conversations inquiring as to its utility, looking for decent discussions elsewhere (blogs, etc.) on its perceived value by someone who has taken it, and so on, then buy the class and get back to writing. :D seriously

NOW - Judy Blume has one. I'm thinking maybe hers when I have the cash to throw away. But she's someone that spends a lot of time per book (maybe while working on other books) so our brain waves may not be compatible, which would make a lot of her advice pointless for me.

Offline MaddHatter

• MO, USA
    • View Profile
    • http://www.evanmgrant.com
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 10:51:13 AM »
I considered taking the class too, but I'm getting to the point where most craft books/courses sound the same, so I looked into it quite a bit before committing $90. I found this article to be the most helpful in my decision:

https://www.standoutbooks.com/james-patterson-masterclass-review/

Hope this helps!  :)

Evan Grant

Offline okey dokey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 11:01:16 AM »
Ryn, Ione, Randall, Ione, Madd

Thanks for your comments.
Checking out suggested sites

Offline C. Michael Wells

• Kansas City, MO
    • View Profile
    • C. Michael Wells
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 11:02:17 AM »
I'm not sure what genre you write, but I'll always point anyone asking about writing classes, to Brandon Sanderson's BYU lectures. While he mostly focuses on scifi/fantasy, I'd say the knowledge can be used for just about any writing. He covers just about everything involved over the course of the semester, and its free. Just look it up via YouTube.

Offline Cassie Leigh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 11:18:18 AM »
Personally, I enjoyed the class. I figure anyone as successful as that has at least one thing I can learn.

Of course, I like to hear as many different approaches to telling story as I can, so I also took the Shonda Rhimes, David Mamet, and Aaron Sorkin classes and learned something from each of them as well. And now that I have an all-access pass I've sampled portions of the Reba McEntire and Gordon Ramsey classes, too. The only one I didn't like was the David Mamet one. It seemed from the excerpts that it would be interesting, but not really. I also plan to sample the Kasparov class when it's available and a couple others on there. I didn't like the sampler for the Judy Blume one, but I have free access for a year so will probably give it a listen.

8 Pen Names. Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.
Blog

Offline thevoiceofone

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 11:34:20 AM »

I took it out of curiosity.

Its more geared towards beginners really. I didn't get much out of it.

ALso what he teaches and what he actually does is two different things.

He mostly outlines now and has others write for him and he supervises ( that's his world )

Offline Awasin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 11:52:25 AM »
Personally, I enjoyed the class. I figure anyone as successful as that has at least one thing I can learn.

Of course, I like to hear as many different approaches to telling story as I can, so I also took the Shonda Rhimes, David Mamet, and Aaron Sorkin classes and learned something from each of them as well. And now that I have an all-access pass I've sampled portions of the Reba McEntire and Gordon Ramsey classes, too. The only one I didn't like was the David Mamet one. It seemed from the excerpts that it would be interesting, but not really. I also plan to sample the Kasparov class when it's available and a couple others on there. I didn't like the sampler for the Judy Blume one, but I have free access for a year so will probably give it a listen.

David Mamet's course is my favorite.  I think it's because I'd elevated him in my thinking so that he was so much higher than me I could never get there, but it turns out he sees things pretty much the way I do. I still can't get there but at least I don't despair; it's not like he's a god or something. I preferred it to James Patterson's class where I learned a couple of things the chief of which is I'd rather hear him talk than read him.

Very smart of you to get the year pass.  I hate the advert for the Judy Blume course but I'd definitely listen to it if I had the pass.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 11:53:56 AM by Awasin »

Online Al Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 12:24:07 PM »
I enjoyed it and learned from it. I disagree that it's only for beginners. I've been writing and publishing for 30 years. It was well worth the $90 especially since I rarely do outlines or plots when I begin a work of fiction. I learned a lot about that process. His presentation is smooth and comfortable and he does not talk down to his students.

Online IoneKeeling

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2017, 12:35:55 PM »
I'm not sure what genre you write, but I'll always point anyone asking about writing classes, to Brandon Sanderson's BYU lectures. While he mostly focuses on scifi/fantasy, I'd say the knowledge can be used for just about any writing. He covers just about everything involved over the course of the semester, and its free. Just look it up via YouTube.

2016 video 1 

Thanks for the recommendation!

Online Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
  • Storyteller and Cat Minion
    • View Profile
    • Ineti Press
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2017, 12:59:16 PM »
It was worth the $90 for me, but maybe only because I have a lifelong commitment to learning, and $90 seemed a small price to pay to spend several hours listening to a writer like James Patterson talk about the writing life and craft.

Online C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2017, 02:19:24 PM »
YESSSS! This in a nutshell was super awesomely useful and covers a wide range of topics related to writing books, including trad pub and indie pub.

Online Stacy Claflin

• Seattle-ish
  • Run like you have to get to the library
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Claflin, Author
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2017, 02:33:49 PM »
I enjoyed the James Patterson course. Like someone else said, great treadmill material. Although I didn't walk away with my mind blown, it was fun just to listen to him talk about his writing process and history. I just started the Judy Blume course and really like that one too so far. Also, I don't know if it's available to everyone but the Master Class has an all-access pass where you can get access to all their courses for a really reasonable fee.

USA Today bestselling author of The Gone Trilogy & Dean's List: Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Free Books

Online IoneKeeling

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2017, 08:54:20 PM »
I enjoyed the James Patterson course. Like someone else said, great treadmill material. Although I didn't walk away with my mind blown, it was fun just to listen to him talk about his writing process and history. I just started the Judy Blume course and really like that one too so far. Also, I don't know if it's available to everyone but the Master Class has an all-access pass where you can get access to all their courses for a really reasonable fee.

A one year subscription? Was that it? $180 all access for a year

Also STACY - are you able under the subscription to download the PDFs and other source materials other than the video? Or what can't you download? I'm not keen on losing access unless I re-subscribe, but if a lot of the resources can be downloaded, then that is a lot of value for $180.

I am really interested in the Blume one (that she is 79, soon to be 80, and still producing and seems to have all her wits about her blows me away). And I think all the director, script and actor ones are useful to writers as well because, hey, that's what we are - we write the book, we play the characters, we direct the scenes, etc. Pacing, characterization, etc.

So a one year all access pass could have the following beneficial classes for authors:

Aaron Sorkin (screenwriting)
Judy Blume
James Patterson
Steve Martin (comedy)
Shonda Rimes (screenwriting)
Samuel L Jackson (LOL Id say what he teaches but the swear filter, you know :D)
Dustin Hoffman (acting)
David Mamet (dramatic writing)
Werner Herzog (film making)

Coming "SOON"
DAME helen Mirrin (acting)
Ron Howard (directing)
Martin Scorsese (film making)
Bob Woodward (investigative journalism) - for this, not only good for Nonfiction writers, but it could have some lessons on exploiting Open Source Intelligence (OSINT) for researching novels (especially for someone who does thrillers and the like).

OK now I just have to save my pennies up :D

Offline Vale

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2017, 01:07:58 AM »
I'm also curious about the year-long pass. With just purchasing a class, you have life-long access to all the videos/etc., right? So if it grants access to the courses you went through, that's a no-brainer. I imagine it's not like that. Still, I like David Mamet enough that it'd be tempting for me. $90 for one course has had me on the "no" side of the fence. But for $180 I would watch every single video on the site in a year.

Annie B suggested the Cat Rambo courses, the archived ones of which are $25-$30. Someone got me one for Christmas (I got the confirmation e-mail last week), so I plan to give it a try.

$90, $25... they're all a lot cheaper than an MFA.

Offline Germanikus

• View Profile
    • raphaelmoreau.com
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2017, 04:58:06 AM »
As Brandon Sanderson was already named. A must-hear for me: http://www.writingexcuses.com/

Germanikus | blog

Offline Cassie Leigh

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2017, 06:49:04 AM »
Annie B suggested the Cat Rambo courses, the archived ones of which are $25-$30. Someone got me one for Christmas (I got the confirmation e-mail last week), so I plan to give it a try.

I signed up for the Cat Rambo course on language and never made it past the first lesson. Maybe the in-person ones she does or some of the others are better, but that one just didn't work for me. (I studied language change in college so thought it would be really interesting.)

Another nice thing about the Masterclass folks is I signed up for the Patterson class early on so they gave me a code for another free class to keep promoting their service. And then when they rolled out all access I'd taken four classes by then so they gave that to me for free for a year. And then they offered me a second year for free or the option the option to gift all access to a friend for a year. I gave that second free year to a friend of mine who is a great writing friend but doesn't have the funds to blow on things like this.

With the all-access pass you can listen to just part of a class and not feel guilty about it. Like with the Reba McEntire one, I didn't need to listen to how to record in studio, but listening to how she picks her songs, etc. has relevance and so does her talking about professionalism and surrounding yourself with good people.

And you can download PDFs. I never have, though, because they're very basic. (At least for the Patterson class the ones I looked at were.)

8 Pen Names. Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.
Blog

Online IoneKeeling

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2017, 10:47:32 AM »
Thank you for the info, Cassie :)

Perhaps another good thing about the access expiring absent renewal is that I'll be more present during the classes if I sign-up for the one-year pass. There's so much information out there (including all the stuff that isn't curated), I find I don't pay as much attention as I should to any one particular piece.