Need Perfect Gift? Shop Amazon Gift Cards. Any Occasion.

Author Topic: Data Guy will Present at the 2018 SFWA Nebula Conference in Pittsburgh  (Read 896 times)  

Online Terra LeMay

• View Profile
Hello all!

The Data Guy from Author Earnings will be aggregating and analyzing science fiction and fantasy publishing data for SFWA, for the 2018 Nebula Conference in Pittsburgh. He will present an overview of the entire US SF/F sales landscape, drilling down into various SF & fantasy subgenres to look at how sales break down by format (print, ebook, & audio), by bookstore vs online purchases, by price point, publisher type, etc.

I thought this might be a good place to get the word out to indie authors who write SF/F.

We are told that the data presented will capture nearly all US sales of ebooks & audiobooks as well as most online sales of print books. It should be incredibly useful information for anyone who writes science fiction or fantasy.

Also of note: we have been working hard to expand programming for indie authors. (For example, in the last two years, we've had representatives available from Amazon, ACX, Kickstarter, Patreon, Draft2Digital, Kobo, among others, for panels, presentations, and one-on-one Q&A meetings.) We're still in the early stages of putting programming together for 2018, but we're looking for panels and solo presentations geared toward working professional science-fiction and fantasy authors. If you're attending (or thinking about attending) and would like to present at the conference, or if you have an idea for a panel you would like to see, I can send you a links to our proposal applications. If you want to see what we offered last year, that's still up here: https://nebulas.sfwa.org/2017-nebula-conference-schedule/

Registration is here: eventbrite.com/e/2018-sfwa-nebula-conference-tickets-38362822234

You do NOT have to be a member of SFWA to attend the Nebula Conference.

I hope I'll see some of you in Pittsburgh!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 02:00:47 PM by rarelytame »

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• I build websites, and blog about ebooks
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Reader
Re: Data Guy will Present at the 2018 SFWA Nebula Conference in Pittsburgh
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 05:37:05 PM »
I have a proposal. Can you post a link?
- Nate, publisher of The Digital Reader blog - www.the-digital-reader.com

Ask me how to speed up your site, the best bookshelf plugins, how to get your site ranked in Google, and why your site keeps crashing. If I don't know I will find out.

I offer free site critiques (tech, content, and design) and I will happily tell you what your tech guy needs to do.

Online blerg et al.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 06:24:47 PM »
I'll be there!

Online Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 06:37:50 PM »
I didn't get enough votes for a nomination for a Hugo, and according to a former Nebula president, I've got no chances there either... Oh well... I grew up in the 'burg, so it would be cool to go back and visit, but "no money" Mark is what they call me!

Offline Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
  • Storyteller and Cat Minion
    • View Profile
    • Ineti Press
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 08:38:49 PM »
Hey, good to hear. I had been pushing the leadership to get him to a Neb conference before I left the org. Nice to see it's finally happening.

Online Terra LeMay

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 06:03:15 AM »
I have a proposal. Can you post a link?

Go to this page:
https://nebulas.sfwa.org/nebula-conference/

If you scroll down to Programming, there are instructions for how to submit a proposal or suggest a topic.

(There's a lot of other information on that page too. Accommodations info. Travel info. Etc...)

Offline AliceS

• Asheville, NC
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 06:32:53 AM »
Looking forward to hearing what he's got to say.

Post-Apocalyptic, Space Fantasy and Mystery
Alice Sabo | Blog | Facebook | Website

Offline RedFoxUF

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 10:03:37 AM »
The presentation isn't at the banquet is it? I tend to skip those at other cons.

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• I build websites, and blog about ebooks
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Reader
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 10:44:36 AM »
Go to this page:
https://nebulas.sfwa.org/nebula-conference/

If you scroll down to Programming, there are instructions for how to submit a proposal or suggest a topic.

(There's a lot of other information on that page too. Accommodations info. Travel info. Etc...)

thanks!
- Nate, publisher of The Digital Reader blog - www.the-digital-reader.com

Ask me how to speed up your site, the best bookshelf plugins, how to get your site ranked in Google, and why your site keeps crashing. If I don't know I will find out.

I offer free site critiques (tech, content, and design) and I will happily tell you what your tech guy needs to do.

Online Terra LeMay

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 11:31:24 AM »
The presentation isn't at the banquet is it? I tend to skip those at other cons.

No, Data Guy's presentation will not be during the banquet.  ;D

I don't have the exact schedule for when it will be, but I can definitely confirm it won't be then. (Also, it won't conflict with the Nebula banquet and awards ceremony, for folks who do wish to attend that.)

Offline RedFoxUF

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 04:48:11 PM »
No, Data Guy's presentation will not be during the banquet.  ;D

I don't have the exact schedule for when it will be, but I can definitely confirm it won't be then. (Also, it won't conflict with the Nebula banquet and awards ceremony, for folks who do wish to attend that.)

I realize it was  probably a dumb question, but I never go to the con banquets. Y'all could be swapping outfits and swinging from the chandeliers while splitting free money and I would never know! lol

Online Terra LeMay

• View Profile
Hello everyone!

The membership rate for the Nebula Conference is scheduled to increase tomorrow! Register now to get the reduced rate.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2018-sfwa-nebula-conference-tickets-38362822234#tickets

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac