Why not Join Amazon Kindle Unlimited 30-Day Free Trial?

Author Topic: Publishing with Ingram Spark. Best Methods for Promoting Online?  (Read 133 times)  

Offline JasonSmithers

• View Profile
Publishing with Ingram Spark. Best Methods for Promoting Online?
« on: December 06, 2017, 08:10:24 PM »
I've publishing 3 books through Ingram Spark and have been relatively happy with the results. The only thing that is frustrating to me is the lack of support to advertise with Amazon. It's much easier to advertise via CreateSpace. For those of you publishing with IngramSpark, how do you advertise online? Do you buy ads? Any best practices?

Online Bards and Sages (Julie)

• New Jersey
  • Her Royal Sithiness
    • View Profile
    • Bards and Sages Publishing
Re: Publishing with Ingram Spark. Best Methods for Promoting Online?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 05:53:54 AM »
For starters, stop thinking that Amazon is the only outlet to sell. In fact, stop thinking about individual outlets and think big picture. Where are my readers? Where do they hang out? Then go there and promote there. The problem is that too many indies are in the commodities mindset: sell cheap and in volume because volume drives rank and rank drives algorithms and then maybe Amazon will promote me.

Get out of that mindset. Print is a completely different animal than ebooks.

Genre-specific websites: not "get free and discount books" websites. Websites that are dedicated to your genre. Go there. Advertise there. Sites like Project Wonderful provide access to hundreds of very inexpensive sites where you can advertise. People dismiss banner advertising as low ROI. But if used consistently over time, it is a great brand-building tool that embeds your brand with your actual market. Think about banner ads like commercials on TV. Have you ever rushed out the door to run to the store or grabbed your laptop and immediately ordered a candy bar just because you saw a commercial on TV? Of course not! But those commercials plan a seed in your mind so that, when you are standing in the store looking at the candy choices, you select the one that is familiar (the one you see the commercial for all the time) over the one that is not. Banner advertising is subliminal and creates a data point in the customer's brain. It makes you "known" to them...even if they can't remember exactly where they saw you.

Journals and magazines: People avoid placing print ads because, again, they think low ROI. But print publications are funded by people WILLING TO SPEND MONEY on publications. People who pay for magazines are also willing to pay for actual books. Find genre-centric publications and place ads in them.

Book Fairs and conventions: This is my primary marketing tool. I promote in con programs and provide prize support to several dozen events every year. People who attend cons and book fairs tend to be dedicated consumers who like to support the companies that support their cons.

This is just a few things. There are a lot of "old school" advertising things that work when instituted with a strong plan, but folks get so caught up looking for "outside the box" ideas that they forget to use what is IN the box first!

Writer, Publisher, Game Designer, Resident Sith
Julie Ann Dawson | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | eFesitival of Words