Need Perfect Gift? Shop Amazon Gift Cards. Any Occasion.

Author Topic: Could this work to monetise short stories?  (Read 649 times)  

Offline Heide Goody

• Warwickshire, UK
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page for Clovenhoof Books
Could this work to monetise short stories?
« on: December 06, 2017, 10:15:59 PM »
I'm trying out something different (with my co-writer) in an effort to monetise a short story.
http://www.pigeonparkpress.com/affiliate-story-princess-tower/
There is an affiliate link at the end, which pays us some money if someone clicks it and changes their energy supplier (note that this is for the UK, where people who hang around with the same energy supplier for a while do tend to overpay by a lot).
We've tried to be completely transparent about the purpose of the story - have we laid it on too thick?
If anyone's tried this before, I would love to know how it went.
Equally, if you can think of other examples where a story might work as (kind of) an advert, extend the experiment and let's see what happens!

Offline Marty South

• View Profile
Re: Could this work to monetise short stories?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 10:45:30 PM »
I don't know how much money you can make this way, but I loved the story, loved the humor. Keep us posted on your progress.

Offline Heide Goody

• Warwickshire, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 11:13:23 PM »
I don't know how much money you can make this way, but I loved the story, loved the humor. Keep us posted on your progress.
Thanks Marty, I will.

Online Sam Kates

• UK
  • From the land of song and dragons.
    • View Profile
    • Sam Kates
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 12:52:48 AM »
Interesting idea. Good luck with it!

sam kates

Offline A Fading Street

• Professional Editing FREE 1st chapter sample edit
    • View Profile
    • A Fading Street Publishing Services
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 02:32:58 AM »
I think that is a neat idea. If you have an Amazon Associates account you could write a story around or involving pretty much any product and add a link to that product on Amazon at the bottom, if you didn't want to go the affiliate route. No idea whether that would go down well with readers but as long as the story is free and you are transparent about it with no compulsion to click, then it might earn a few pennies.
A Fading Street Publishing Services.
Ghostwriting all genres $150 per 10000 words
Rewriting from $0.04 per word. Audio and Handwritten Transcription$0.003 per word.
Proofreading $0.0015 per word, Copy Editing $0.0035 per word. Ghostwriting $150 per 10000 words.
SPECIAL PACKAGE RATE for Beta, Copy Edit, Final Proof  at $0.004 per word.
My Kboards Thread for Testimonials http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,241950.0.html
Yellow Pages Entry

Offline Bards and Sages (Julie)

• New Jersey
  • Her Royal Sithiness
    • View Profile
    • Bards and Sages Publishing
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 05:43:00 AM »
While I am all for using as many residual income streams as possible, I think this sort of thing dilutes your brand. From a wide picture perspective, how does this actually relate to your business message? It would make sense I suppose if you wrote how-to books on making money online. It feels like you are distracting readers AWAY from your brand and redirecting them to a business that has absolutely nothing to do with you or your books. Anything that distracts readers from your core product risks alienating/losing readers.

I think, from a business perspective, it is more important to ask "How does this idea fit into my larger business objective?" than it is to ask "I wonder if I can make a few bucks doing this?"

Remember the mantra: everyone on the internet has A.D.D. Anything you do that takes your readers AWAY from you risks sending them away for good as they follow down the rabbit hole that is the internet.

Writer, Publisher, Game Designer, Resident Sith
Julie Ann Dawson | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | eFesitival of Words

Offline wearywanderer64

• Spain
  • I wander lonely as a cloud
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 05:47:59 AM »
Remember Pepsi and Michael Jackson when he was accused of stuff? If this company gets negative press for any reason then your name and story will be linked to it.

Alex Mahon | Scribbling Tales

Offline Heide Goody

• Warwickshire, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 05:50:39 AM »
Interesting idea. Good luck with it!
Thanks Sam!

Offline Heide Goody

• Warwickshire, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 05:53:10 AM »
I think that is a neat idea. If you have an Amazon Associates account you could write a story around or involving pretty much any product and add a link to that product on Amazon at the bottom, if you didn't want to go the affiliate route. No idea whether that would go down well with readers but as long as the story is free and you are transparent about it with no compulsion to click, then it might earn a few pennies.
Yes, you're right. The Amazon Associates does bring in a few pennies from book sales, but it would be easy to target other things. One thing about energy switching is that it pays a decent return. If someone clicks through my link and changes supplier we get something in the order of 16 (from memory).

Offline Heide Goody

• Warwickshire, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 05:54:50 AM »
While I am all for using as many residual income streams as possible, I think this sort of thing dilutes your brand. From a wide picture perspective, how does this actually relate to your business message? It would make sense I suppose if you wrote how-to books on making money online. It feels like you are distracting readers AWAY from your brand and redirecting them to a business that has absolutely nothing to do with you or your books. Anything that distracts readers from your core product risks alienating/losing readers.

I think, from a business perspective, it is more important to ask "How does this idea fit into my larger business objective?" than it is to ask "I wonder if I can make a few bucks doing this?"

Remember the mantra: everyone on the internet has A.D.D. Anything you do that takes your readers AWAY from you risks sending them away for good as they follow down the rabbit hole that is the internet.
You are so right, and I did wonder about that. I think if I saw this taking off in a big way I might isolate it away from the rest of our work. Right now it's more of an experiment.

Offline Heide Goody

• Warwickshire, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 05:56:09 AM »
Remember Pepsi and Michael Jackson when he was accused of stuff? If this company gets negative press for any reason then your name and story will be linked to it.
I must admit that this is something I hadn't considered. I guess it would be a simple job to take the page down if disaster strikes. I *think* the risk is low with an energy switching site but who knows?

Online Anarchist

• Methodological individualist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 06:09:03 AM »
I think it could work well given two things, one of which has been mentioned:

1. create a separate brand/pen name for the affiliated stories (AffiliatedStories .com?)

2. the affiliate product/service should be contextually relevant to the story. For example websitesetup.org is a content site created to promote the BlueHost affiliate program.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 06:21:57 AM by Anarchist »
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

Offline Athena Grayson

• View Profile
    • Athena Grayson
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 07:25:16 AM »
You could always just put Google AdSense on the page where the story is and monetize it that way. More passive and a little more universal for folks who aren't in the sphere of your local energy provider.

I need to cross-stitch this on a sampler the size of a wall.

Space Opera...With Girl Cooties!
Athena Grayson | site | newsletter | facebook

Offline Heide Goody

• Warwickshire, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 08:53:04 AM »
I think it could work well given two things, one of which has been mentioned:

1. create a separate brand/pen name for the affiliated stories (AffiliatedStories .com?)

2. the affiliate product/service should be contextually relevant to the story. For example websitesetup.org is a content site created to promote the BlueHost affiliate program.

This is an interesting idea. Treat it as an entirely different business. Hm, I guess there's a lot to be said for that.

Offline Heide Goody

• Warwickshire, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 08:55:57 AM »
You could always just put Google AdSense on the page where the story is and monetize it that way. More passive and a little more universal for folks who aren't in the sphere of your local energy provider.
True. I haven't properly looked around at the market, but I believe there's a whole host of companies who will pay for affiliate referrals.
For example, if someone wrote a heart-rending story about pets dying, could you persuade folks to buy pet insurance? Maybe.

Online Tizzy

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2017, 09:03:59 AM »
True. I haven't properly looked around at the market, but I believe there's a whole host of companies who will pay for affiliate referrals.
For example, if someone wrote a heart-rending story about pets dying, could you persuade folks to buy pet insurance? Maybe.

Honestly, it would only have a chance at persuading me if the story was a real one, ie "this happened to me," AND it came from somebody who already blogs or writes about their pets. If I know it's fiction then it would be a bit like those disaster songs that used to make it big: a sad story but in the end just that. And trying to use it to persuade me to buy something would feel rather manipulative. That's just me, tho.

On a side comment, I tried to check out your books (the covers for the Oddjobs ones look good!) but I was sent to an error page. Perhaps you should check that out, make sure the links aren't broken or something?

Online TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2017, 09:24:05 AM »
Here's a tip:

Many ad blockers will block that banner (mine did). Include some hypertext that goes the same place.

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Heide Goody

• Warwickshire, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2017, 10:04:49 AM »
Honestly, it would only have a chance at persuading me if the story was a real one, ie "this happened to me," AND it came from somebody who already blogs or writes about their pets. If I know it's fiction then it would be a bit like those disaster songs that used to make it big: a sad story but in the end just that. And trying to use it to persuade me to buy something would feel rather manipulative. That's just me, tho.

On a side comment, I tried to check out your books (the covers for the Oddjobs ones look good!) but I was sent to an error page. Perhaps you should check that out, make sure the links aren't broken or something?
Eek! I will check out the books, thank you.

Offline Heide Goody

• Warwickshire, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2017, 10:06:10 AM »
Here's a tip:

Many ad blockers will block that banner (mine did). Include some hypertext that goes the same place.
Thank you. I don't use ad blockers, so that's really useful feedback.

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac