Why not Join Amazon Kindle Unlimited 30-Day Free Trial?

Author Topic: Bookbub in the spring vs Bookbub around the holidays  (Read 420 times)  

Online juliatheswede

• NYC
    • View Profile
Bookbub in the spring vs Bookbub around the holidays
« on: December 07, 2017, 07:40:59 AM »
Hi,

I've been lucky enough to get four free Bookbubs this year. Two were in April and Memorial Day (May 29, I think). They both did very well. I was then in KU. As of Sept I'm back wide. Had another free Bookbub for a stand-alone Oct 16 (the same I ran back in April). Still did pretty good, even though it was the second time for that book.

I had a free Bookbub for the second of a series of 5 Nov 27 (psychological thriller genre). I had great downloads (45K across all vendors), but while I got tons of reviews quickly from the Spring Bookbubs, I have only gotten three reviews on Amazon of the freebie, all good ones. Only good ones on Kobo and B & N too. Sell-through is so-so. I'm a little surprised that the reviews aren't raining in like they did in the spring. It tells me all those ppl who downloaded that freebie haven't read it yet (probably).

Have you guys experienced different results with Bookbubs in the spring vs around the holidays (Nov/Dec)? Is this a matter of people not reading as much right now? Just curious.

Offline Allyson J.

• South Carolina, USA
  • Writer. Traveler. Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • AllysonJeleyne.com
Re: Bookbub in the spring vs Bookbub around the holidays
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 07:49:29 AM »
I see much better downloads, sell-through, and more positive reviews in the spring than in the fall. I make twice as much from a Bookbub in May than in November, but what really fascinates me is the difference in reception--for three years now, readers seem to like the book in spring, yet hate it in fall. Weird, right?!

Victorian, Edwardian, and Jazz Age romance
Website | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Mailing List

Offline C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 10:16:53 AM »
I want to tell everyone, don't try to book any BookBub featured deals over the holidays! That will make it more likely I will get one. :P

I write books about Change, Chaos, and Loki
C. Gockel | facebook | tumblr | website

Offline Berries

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 10:24:18 AM »
I want to tell everyone, don't try to book any BookBub featured deals over the holidays! That will make it more likely I will get one.

This! So much this!

Lucinda Berry

Online Nicholas Erik

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 12:26:29 PM »
Not really. I've had them right after Christmas (28th) a couple years ago, right before Thanksgiving (20th) this year, and every month in between aside from March and April. All have performed extremely well.

I think there's some janky stuff going on with Amazon's reviews right now, which might be the reason yours haven't come in. It took a few days for mine to start really coming in for the book that ran on the 20th. I've gotten about 25 - 30 thus far, which is a little lower than I'd expect for 35,000+ free downloads, but it's still early.  A couple reviews disappeared from my books recently, then reappeared a few days later.

Nick

Online juliatheswede

• NYC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 01:59:40 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Online Crystal_

• Portland, OR
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 08:49:51 PM »
I haven't seen dates make a difference other than BBs becoming less effective over time. I have one on the 26th, so we'll see about the holidays.

Offline JRTomlin

• View Profile
    • J. R. Tomlin on Writing and More
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 09:34:20 PM »
I want to tell everyone, don't try to book any BookBub featured deals over the holidays! That will make it more likely I will get one. :P
Sorry, I already snagged it.  :P

My sales with or without BB (I usually do manage one) is always January - March. By some distance.

Saor Alba
J. R. Tomlin | J. R. Tomlin | Writing and More

Online juliatheswede

• NYC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 07:07:37 AM »

My sales with or without BB (I usually do manage one) is always January - March. By some distance.

Your sales what? Are they the best during this time or do they only happen then? Would you please clarify?

Online juliatheswede

• NYC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 07:11:47 AM »
I haven't seen dates make a difference other than BBs becoming less effective over time. I have one on the 26th, so we'll see about the holidays.

I didn't mean to imply that Bookbubs give you worse results during the holidays. As mentioned above, I had great results for a freebie that ran Nov 27. What I'm wondering is if anyone's noticed that it takes longer for people to read the actual freebie during the holidays or not:) (which would result in fewer reviews and mailing list signups and sell-through to other books in the series).