Why not Join Amazon Kindle Unlimited 30-Day Free Trial?

Author Topic: SFWA is assembling a scifi story bundle.  (Read 404 times)  

Offline DanielPotter

• View Profile
    • Fallen Kitten Productions
SFWA is assembling a scifi story bundle.
« on: December 07, 2017, 04:05:47 PM »
The SFWA Self Publishing Committee is happy to announce that we are opening for submissions from SFWA Members for the SFWA Scifi story bundle that will be live from May 9-31, 2018. The theme of the bundle this year is Space Opera. (Generally if you have a space ship on the cover of the book it probably qualifies.)
This is your chance to have your novel featured alongside top indy sellers such as Michael Cooper, Craig Martelle, Glynn Stewart, Amy Duboff, Mike Shepard, and Terry Mixon.
To submit, go to: https://www.sfwa.org/forum/topic/12094-sfwa-scifi-story-bundle-is-now-open-for-submissions/?tab=comments#comment-141741. Participants will be selected collectively by the SFWA Self Publishing Committee (SPC). Books not selected will be fed to the space dragon orbiting Romulus-5.
Submissions will accepted through midnight, US Eastern Time, December 20, 2017. Participants will be notified by March 15, 2018, and the SPC will accept approximately ten additional books for the bundle.

You will have to pull out of KU for duration of the bundle.

Not a member of SFWA? Join today: http://www.sfwa.org/about/join-us/sfwa-membership-requirements/

Offline Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
Re: SFWA is assembling a scifi story bundle.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 04:50:11 AM »
I tried to follow your forum link and got *gasp* an error! I think that you have to be a member of SFWA to read that.

Online she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 08:57:52 AM »
Yeah. Wish I qualified for membership. :(
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Offline DanielPotter

• View Profile
    • Fallen Kitten Productions
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 09:32:13 AM »
I tried to follow your forum link and got *gasp* an error! I think that you have to be a member of SFWA to read that.

Yes, you have to be a member to view that page.

Yeah. Wish I qualified for membership. :(

Qualifying for membership is a great medium goal to shoot for on your writerly road.

For self publishers: A published work of fiction of a minimum of 40,000 words either sold to a small press or self-published for which the author can demonstrate net income of at least $3,000 over the course of a year since January 1, 2013. Income can be in the form of advance, royalties, or some combination thereof or;

Online she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 02:51:36 PM »
Yeah, membership was a goal of mine for like the past forty years. When they finally allowed us indies in, I thought I might have a chance, but so far it's not looking like it will ever happen. I'm getting over it.
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Offline Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 04:30:25 PM »
I qualify for membership, but I fail to see just what my $100 a year gets me.

Offline Tilly

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 04:45:26 PM »
Qualifying for membership is a great medium goal to shoot for on your writerly road.

I qualified a few years ago, tried to join and discovered SFWA is not set up for overseas applicants. All of the evidence you require is US-centric and I simply couldn't provide anything that met the requirements as I'm paid by wire transfer and don't receive physical cheques or bank statements. Then it took some time to get my membership fee refunded, since they wouldn't accept any electronic evidence of earnings.

Offline Carol (was Dara)

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 06:48:09 PM »
Then it took some time to get my membership fee refunded, since they wouldn't accept any electronic evidence of earnings.

When I was a member I think I just sent screenshots of the relevant pieces of KDP sales reports, which seemed to work fine. This was a couple years ago though. Maybe evidence requirements have changed?

Offline ThomasDiehl

• MGladbach, Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 03:26:41 AM »
Maybe it's more feasible to go the "sales to a qualifying short fiction market" route if income proof is too hard to get?
Granted, getting into Asimov's is probably a tough one by sheer number of submissions they get, but not all of the qualifying magazines and sites are this competitive. Daily SF and Flash Fiction Online qualify, those seem pretty reasonable markets to get into. Compelling SF is an interesting new venue that caters to a very specific market and thus likely not to get that much submissions that fit their niche.
All Hail the King series: 4%

How the Rain Gets In: 21%
English Blog | German Blog

Offline Dean Kutzler

• Philadelphia
  • I learn. I twist. I write. I repeat.
    • View Profile
    • Philadelphia's Thriller Author Dean Kutzler
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2017, 04:02:18 AM »
I qualify for membership, but I fail to see just what my $100 a year gets me.

Less $100.  :o That is a little high. No offense SFWA.
Space Opera Trilogy: 5%
I learn. I twist. I write. I repeat.
Dean Kutzler | Website | Blog | Reader's Group | Facebook | Twitter | Google Plus | Goodreads