Author Topic: OMG its snowing  (Read 1260 times)  

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
OMG its snowing
« on: December 07, 2017, 06:05:02 PM »
Snow, like actual real snow. My car is covered in SNOW.

I am in south texas, San Antonio to be exact, I only remember "snow" once a few years ago and it was more like ice pebbles. This is actual fluffy snow. And our power went out half an hour ago. Running the modem on UPS backup.

And its cold, almost down the 32 and now we have no heater. Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

My neighbors were all standing in the yard with their kids and cats and dogs and what have you. You could make a snowball fight off whats on my car right now. But now the cold is creeping in and I hate the cold. I so hate it.

Snow and the city is on standstill, along with the power apparently.

At least I have a couple of charged kindles with light. There is that at least.

Member since 11/20/2008  | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake'

• Florida
  • Remembering Jeff and Harvey
    • View Profile
Re: OMG its snowing
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 06:36:09 PM »
Goodness, I hope they get your power back on soon. You can't even make hot chocolate. Lots of blankets, socks and sweaters. Keep in touch if you can.

Please visit my website to browse my virtual bookshelf.
Margaret Lake | website | twitter | youtube | facebook

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 06:52:52 PM »
Snow, like actual real snow. My car is covered in SNOW.

I am in south texas, San Antonio to be exact, I only remember "snow" once a few years ago and it was more like ice pebbles. This is actual fluffy snow. And our power went out half an hour ago. Running the modem on UPS backup.

And its cold, almost down the 32 and now we have no heater. Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

My neighbors were all standing in the yard with their kids and cats and dogs and what have you. You could make a snowball fight off whats on my car right now. But now the cold is creeping in and I hate the cold. I so hate it.

Snow and the city is on standstill, along with the power apparently.

At least I have a couple of charged kindles with light. There is that at least.

Dang, Atunah--I was in San Antonio for a day.  I wish I'd remembered you were there!

And SNOW???
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline jaxonreed

• View Profile
    • jaxonreed.com
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 07:03:42 PM »
Quite a bit (for us) up here in the College Station area, too.

Jaxon Reed | jaxonreed.com | readper.com

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Central Texas
  • Reading ebooks since 1994!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 07:14:15 PM »
It 'snowed' in Austin also, enough to stay on the tops of grass blades, but it melted when it hit the concrete patio. My power went off for 30 seconds or so.
What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 03:49:03 AM »
I heard there was something happening down there . . . it's meant to move here tomorrow but likely to stay south and east. We'll not get but a dusting -- though it's about to go really COLD vs the only kinda sorta not very warm it's been lately.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Sean Sweeney

• Massachusetts
  • I adventure hard so you don't have to!
    • View Profile
    • Sean Sweeney, Author
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 04:21:12 AM »
First cousin and her brood lives in San Antonio, and she was telling me all about it. I said, "Terri, I live in New England, I know what snow looks like."

Just weird that she has had snow before us up here... but that's going to change tomorrow evening, it looks. 4"-6" expected. Bring it on, I say. Make it feel like Christmas.

Wife, on the other hand, says snow should only occur Sunday night through Friday morning.... she's a teacher.
Sean Sweeney, formerly John Fitch V -- author of 28 novels and counting.

Sean's Bookstore page: http://www.seansweeneyauthor.com/bookstore-2/

Want to know when my next book arrives?
http://seansweeneyauthor.us3.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=efd3d6c4705dc36027cb9f499&id=9ac41daa3e

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 05:28:16 AM »
First cousin and her brood lives in San Antonio, and she was telling me all about it. I said, "Terri, I live in New England, I know what snow looks like."

Just weird that she has had snow before us up here... but that's going to change tomorrow evening, it looks. 4"-6" expected. Bring it on, I say. Make it feel like Christmas.

Wife, on the other hand, says snow should only occur Sunday night through Friday morning.... she's a teacher.
I am from Bavaria, grew up there, but of course you get used to years in warmer climate weather fast. I lived in Oklahoma for a while too and we had proper snow there. But here? No way.

Power stayed out pretty much all night. It was so cold, we just went to bed and cuddled. I tried to read, but its hard with no side light for me. Woke up at 2 am still no power. Kicked in some time later, 3 or 4. There are still folks without power in our area according to the outage map.

I can handle the snow, but the no power? Yikes. Temp was down to 55 inside when I woke up. I am too old for that cold.

Off now to make a really large mug of coffee and then a pot of tea. Our heater is struggling to make it warmer. 61 now. Only takes a couple of more hours to get closer to 70 ;D Its 33 outside.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 05:30:31 AM by Atunah »

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 06:37:22 AM »
As I was listening to the national weather on the morning news I saw there was snow in San Antonio.  I came to KB to see if you had posted and, ta da, here it is! I'm so glad your power is back on. 

How weird is it that that San Antonio, Texas has measurable snow at all, much less before Iowa?! We haven't had anything but a few flurries so far this winter.  :o
A book, I think, is very like a little golden door.
That takes me into places where I've never been before.
It leads me into fairyland or countries strange and far.
And, best of all, the golden door always stands ajar. - Adelaide Love

"Never lose sight of the fact that the most important yardstick of your success will be how you treat other people - your family, friends, and coworkers, and even strangers you meet along the way." ~ Barbara Bush

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 06:45:37 AM »
We had snow last night also. And miracles of miracles, we got a snow day. So I am home snuggling with a kitty and a puppy.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 06:51:37 AM »
As I was listening to the national weather on the morning news I saw there was snow in San Antonio.  I came to KB to see if you had posted and, ta da, here it is! I'm so glad your power is back on. 

How weird is it that that San Antonio, Texas has measurable snow at all, much less before Iowa?! We haven't had anything but a few flurries so far this winter.  :o
Well hopefully it will be another 30 years before we get it again. I'll send it all to Iowa now.  ;D

Now we got pileups everywhere. Folks just don't know how to drive in this weather and the temp went down to 31 so overpasses started to ice up. One really big pileup you normally don't see here. Lots of people where told to stay home today. Sun is out though, so it'll go away soon as temps are rising.

Offline NogDog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2017, 12:41:33 PM »
We're currently forecast to get our first measurable snowfall of the season tomorrow. A few days ago they said it would all most likely stay east of us here in NE New Jersey, this morning suddenly they said 2-4 inches, and now they're saying 3-5 inches. That probably means we'll either get nothing or 8 inches. :)

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 06:06:14 PM »
Since this morning, the forecast here has changed . . . we're now expecting 2 - 4 inches. I still don't think it'll be much problem as the ground isn't particularly cold -- until today it's been near 60 for daytime temps for the last week -- and they've pre-treated all the main roads.

It should be pretty, though. May require light shoveling, but the snowblower should not be needed. :) 

Oddly, because of where the storm is coming from, the areas to the south and east will get more than those to the north and west. Usually it's the other way around.

We did bring in a quantity of wood for the fireplace. :D

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2017, 06:12:20 PM »
Well, snow is gone. Let it stay gone.

Besides the power having been out, we also haven't had water. And when we did have water, it was ice cold most of the time. I'll let you imagine the visuals what that does to a human body when taking a shower while temp is at under 60 degrees inside.
Our apartments been trying to fix something, apparently the pressure valve. Since Wednesday. Its like russian roulette. You go in the shower, you might not finish, or at least not with water.  :-\

Snow, cold and no power and no water. But I have my kindles.  ;D

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2017, 04:21:12 AM »
Still waiting for it to start here . . . .

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2017, 08:39:51 AM »
I got an alert on my phone yesterday morning at 5:21am that snow was headed our way. About half an hour later, I got an alert about school closings. When my brain started working again, I tracked down the alerts to Johnson City, TN.

When Irma was on it's way here, I downloaded a storm tracker app for Ch 5 in my area (about 800 miles away). It seems to have tracked the storm headed for Johnson City as well. Same logo, same channel number, but different call letters. Needless to say, I deleted that &%$*)(^#@%& app.  So there.

When I was in WalMart yesterday afternoon, the guy ahead of me in line was stocking up with Red Bull and candy bars. He was headed for TN. Excuse me, sir. Did you know you were headed into snow country?

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2017, 11:49:56 AM »
It 'started' here around 8 . . . but I use the term loosely. Tiny flakes . . . it's sticking only to cars and grass and bushes. Nothing on streets or sidewalks. Maybe an inch so far where it is sticking. It's not even the really pretty kind of snow. :( Almost looks more like rain falling.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)

Offline Sean Sweeney

• Massachusetts
    • View Profile
    • Sean Sweeney, Author
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2017, 08:10:14 AM »
We got about 3-4 inches here. Was about a 12-hour snowfall or thereabouts. Had a thin coating of ice on the cars Sunday morning.

http://seansweeneyauthor.us3.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=efd3d6c4705dc36027cb9f499&id=9ac41daa3e

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2017, 08:22:19 AM »
By the time it stopped I'd estimate we got 2 to maybe 3 inches. Nothing settled on sidewalks or roads, though, and Sunday morning it had dried so even then not a huge problem with icing. Today: it's basically gone except where the sun never hits.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)

Offline Sean Sweeney

• Massachusetts
    • View Profile
    • Sean Sweeney, Author
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2017, 07:16:41 AM »
Snowing again. Supposed to get 1-3 inches--yes, not bad, but some people are idiots and don't know how to drive in it.

Then again, it's winter, and it's Massachusetts.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2018, 09:40:14 AM »
We had snow in Austin again on New Year's Eve and some type of frozen precip last night.  This is strange for us for sure!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 06:22:37 AM by Andra »

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2018, 09:52:23 AM »
We had 19 degrees last night. Nineteen  :o That is -7 for the rest of the world.

My parsley got frozen solid, even though I covered it up. Its getting revived in the sun now. Back to above freezing now. For now.

This is not normal here. I know I see some east coast folks shaking their heads, but we don't get that darn cold here. We aren't build for that, like literally. Thin walls, non existing insulation. I sat there last few nights feeling a draft like in some medieval castle.

Yes, I grew up and lived in Bavaria, cold Bavaria. But boy you get used to warmer temperature fast. Evolution has altered my body to not be able to deal with cold, or show.  ;D

My electric bill is going through the roof. Its worse than running AC. As it takes so long just to get another degree up when the cold air comes blowing in from every crack and window.

We had snow in Austin again on New Year's Eve and some type of frozen precip last night.  This is stange for us for sure!

I didn't check, but since you guys are further north, I assume you got it even colder there.

Where is spring.  8)

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2018, 12:38:28 PM »
Snow in Tallahassee for the first time in 30 years. Here's a video.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/state/florida/article192708034.html

I'm further south, but we're going to hit freezing over the next three nights. At least it will be sunny. They tell us no snow in our area because there is no precipitation predicted.

Offline NogDog

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2018, 04:14:56 PM »
Snow tomorrow here in NJ, when it warms up into the high 20s. Then really cold on Saturday, with a low of -2F and a high of 11F predicted. But by next Tuesday we're supposed to get rain/snow mix with temps in the upper 30s finally. I'd almost prefer 29F and snowing than 39F and raining.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2018, 04:14:23 AM »
Snow tomorrow here in NJ, when it warms up into the high 20s. Then really cold on Saturday, with a low of -2F and a high of 11F predicted. But by next Tuesday we're supposed to get rain/snow mix with temps in the upper 30s finally. I'd almost prefer 29F and snowing than 39F and raining.

I'm with you on that. Cold rain is the worst. :(

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)