Author Topic: Bizarre Conflict When on Nordictrack Treadmill  (Read 695 times)  

Offline southerniguana

• View Profile
Bizarre Conflict When on Nordictrack Treadmill
« on: December 10, 2017, 04:12:04 PM »
I have a weird problem. I have an older Kindle Paperwhite. When I prop it on my Nordictrack 1750 treadmill, the Kindle ceases to function properly. Whenever I try to "swipe" or "tap" to advance the page, it instead changes the font size. The first time it happened, I thought it was a problem with the Kindle (unrelated to treadmill) and re-started it. later, when I was done on the treadmill, I noticed it worked fine. I chalked it up to a glitch and didn't think about it again
I just got back on the treadmill, once again planning to read my kindle. It worked fine as long as I was HOLDING the kindle. The second I propped it on the "shelf" on the treadmill, it started doing the same thing again. I thought perhaps it had something to do with its angle of recline, so placed something behind it to prop it more vertically. It continued to change the font size whenever I swiped the screen. When I pick it up off the treadmill, it is fine.
Has anyone experienced anything similar? This is just bizarre and I can't think why it's happening!
I am going to try turning off the WIFI on the treadmill; however, since I have the Kindle on "airplane" mode-- I really don't think there should be a signal issue.

Offline GBear

• New Hampshire
    • View Profile
Re: Bizarre Conflict When on Nordictrack Treadmill
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 07:50:25 PM »
Have you tried the same thing with the treadmill powered up but not moving? I'm wondering if vibration is causing the Kindle to register your touch differently...if so, maybe placing it on a towel could help.

Offline HappyGuy

• Central FL
  • With God, nothing is enough for anything.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 05:06:26 AM »
Is the shelf on or near the treadmill's electronics? There may be some sort of interference coming from that source?
"From the lips of infants and children you have ordained praise..." Psalms 8:2

Member 342

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 08:38:52 AM »
I've not tried using a Kindle on my treadmill, but I can certainly pull out my old Paperwhite and see if I have a similar problem.
Are you mostly swiping or tapping to try to turn the page?

Offline MLPMom

• View Profile
    • My Guilty Obsession Book Reviews
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 08:51:23 AM »
Is it possible there is a magnet on the stand (built in) that may be interfering with it?
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.-Jane Austen
I also have a book blog where I review a new Indie Author every week. http://myguiltyobsession.blogspot.com/

Offline GBear

• New Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 01:24:15 PM »
Is it possible there is a magnet on the stand (built in) that may be interfering with it?
Good thought. my treadmill has a magnet that the safety lanyard attaches to, which shuts down if you (fall off and) pull it away. I had some strange things happening with my Kindle and finally figured out that it was sitting on my iPad with magnetic smart cover.

Offline southerniguana

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 08:31:10 PM »
I've tried tapping and swiping.

It's not near the motor, but there are also presumably electronics in the console. And the console definitely seems to be the source of the problem.

The "stop" magnet is a good thought, but that is located much lower than the console "lip" where I rest the kindle, so I doubt that is the problem.

My husband and I managed to "MacGyver" a holder from binder clips and zip ties that would let my Kindle rest on the console shelf but tilt the upper part outward from the console. This fixed the issue about 90% of the time (but was still annoying during the 10% when it glitched). Ultimately, I did not end up using it though, because the vibration of the treadmill was magnified through the holder, which made it difficult to read. Plus, since it was jury-rigged, I was afraid if I swiped too hard, it would fall apart and fly off the treadmill.

This weekend, I think I will break out my old original Kindle, and see if it does the same thing. It's just so weird... I used the paperwhite all the time on my old treadmill. And I've used it without a problem on my nordictrack elliptical console. If I narrow down any causes-- I'll re-post!