Author Topic: Voice won't turn off (I never turned it on)  (Read 261 times)  

Offline Jacob12

• View Profile
Voice won't turn off (I never turned it on)
« on: December 11, 2017, 07:30:52 AM »
We got our son a Kindle Fire 7.(7th gen.)  The voice direction never stops plus he has to double tap on everything, and he has to scroll with double fingers. I am the primary acct. on the device, but he has his own profile which is kid-safe. There's no settings under his profile he can access,(my profile is password protected) and I've look through my setting and the voice reader is turned off. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Offline KimberlyinMN

• NW Minnesota
  • Kindle Voyage Wi-Fi
    • View Profile
Re: Voice won't turn off (I never turned it on)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 07:41:35 AM »
Check under the Accessibility section. That's a setting for a different voice that tells you everything you are doing. (I don't know if that setting also includes the story being read.)  I don't have a Fire, so I can't tell you exactly where this. My mom's smart phone did this for her once and it was driving her crazy!

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 08:14:38 AM »
It's definitely part of accessibility. Easiest thing, though, might be to reset it to factory settings if you have trouble navigating to those settings.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Jacob12

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 10:26:29 AM »
Yeah, probably best solution.  Thanks

Offline tsemple

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 09:13:22 PM »
Try powering it down (hold power button until you get the menu to do this). Then when it powers up again, VoiceView should be off. I dont have my Fire handy or I would confirm this.

Otherwise, you need to navigate to the Accessibility settings; the VV switch is in there. When in VV mode, touch to select, double-tap (anywhere on screen) to execute (open, toggle, etc.) what is selected. It is not too hard to get the hang of it. I think you swipe down with two fingers from top of screen to get to the quick settings w/Settings button on it, or you can find the Settings icon on Home and open that.