Author Topic: Streaming Options (Split from Fire TV Cube thread)  (Read 144 times)  

Offline FullLiving

• View Profile
Streaming Options (Split from Fire TV Cube thread)
« on: June 19, 2018, 02:07:01 PM »
  I stream.  (NEVER had cable or satellite.)  I have a Fire TV and Apple TV.  ...

I do the same Sandpiper. I have samsung smart tv but like Fire TV stick that has better browsers. Samsung browser is useless. Even youtube works better with Fire TV Stick. I am new and looking for interesting info.

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
  • How could you not smile back at Bonnie?
    • View Profile
Re: Amazon Fire TV Cube
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 03:16:20 AM »
I do the same Sandpiper. I have samsung smart tv but like Fire TV stick that has better browsers. Samsung browser is useless. Even youtube works better with Fire TV Stick. I am new and looking for interesting info.

What kind of info are you looking for?  I am not techie.  I do have a lot of "spaghetti" in back of my TV which is an older 40" Sony Bravia. As I said I've had TiVo since May '04.  TiVo box is a Premiere XL that I've had since May '12.  Still works fine.  KNOCK ON WOOD.  TiVo can stream.  In the past it was never good at it.  Haven't tried TiVo streaming for years.  I got Apple TV first because HBONOW was available on it before Fire TV.  After it was on Fire TV, I got it too.  And then the DVD player. 

People talk about recording TV.  My question is -- on what?  If not TiVo, what DVR?  I'm not aware of any other, but there must be?

My bro beagle (1954-1966).  I still miss him big time.
His last collar hangs on my bedpost.

Offline AmyD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 12:56:26 PM »
What kind of info are you looking for?  I am not techie.  I do have a lot of "spaghetti" in back of my TV which is an older 40" Sony Bravia. As I said I've had TiVo since May '04.  TiVo box is a Premiere XL that I've had since May '12.  Still works fine.  KNOCK ON WOOD.  TiVo can stream.  In the past it was never good at it.  Haven't tried TiVo streaming for years.  I got Apple TV first because HBONOW was available on it before Fire TV.  After it was on Fire TV, I got it too.  And then the DVD player. 

People talk about recording TV.  My question is -- on what?  If not TiVo, what DVR?  I'm not aware of any other, but there must be?

I have smart TV, indoor antenna and internet. The only monthly subscription is internet. I get over 30 channels that includes most of the major networks. I do streaming and some good free application or accessory for better streaming may help. I would appreciate any recommendation.

Is there any free applications that I can add without subscription? I don't watch much TV and subscription will be waste for me. You are quite a bit into TV accessories, Sandpiper. Please help me with above questions, if you or someone else can. Thanks.

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 03:52:22 PM »
One free streaming app / channel I know of is Sony's Crackle.  I registered on it, but have never watched anything they offer. 

Maybe PBS is free?  Although I think I heard something about PBS streaming app named Passport?  If so, I think there would be a monthly charge for that. 

I'm in a five-story condo.  Building is older than cable TV.  Building has been wired for cable on the outside for years.  We have always had (still do) a good rooftop antenna.  I get the three networks, their digital sub channels, and a good number of local stations.  A lot on OTA TV here ('burbs west of Chicago). 

I think I'm correct in saying your internet connection is what determines how well you stream.  I am not techie so . . . ?  I am only one here so there is no one else on my connection.  I have AT&T U-verse for ISP.  18MBps.  Works for me.  Good streaming.  Knock on wood.

Offline SallyPerkin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 10:28:14 PM »
You're correct Sandpiper. The internet connection is very important. I think I have the same AT&T u-verse connection and pay $52 per month. Fiber optics costs about the same, even little less, and is much faster.  It's not offered here yet. I have to find out. Thanks for sharing all that info.

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 03:29:25 AM »
You're correct Sandpiper. The internet connection is very important. I think I have the same AT&T u-verse connection and pay $52 per month. Fiber optics costs about the same, even little less, and is much faster.  It's not offered here yet. I have to find out. Thanks for sharing all that info.

I thought AT&T's U-verse was their fiber optics, but now I'm not so sure?  Happened to find this older article from 2015.  I don't really understand it, but . . . ?  Link

Online Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
Re: Streaming Options (Split from Fire TV Cube thread)
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 09:26:38 AM »
Folks,

I've split the streaming conversation here into its own thread, sorry for any confusion.

Betsy
KB Mod
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline HlthyAnita

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 04:54:53 PM »
Good idea. I wish someone lists all the streaming applications and devices for smart TV.
NOTE: Can someone explain why I have to verify for each post, Are you human?

Offline mpeg2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Today at 04:24:08 AM »
One thing to remember about streaming "applications" - they are adaptive to the quality of your internet connection. Ultimately, they'll all converge on using something called MPEG DASH (Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTTP). The application has a continued "conversation" with the server reporting on the connection speed - the server sends segments matching this connection. So, if your connection is considerably slower than someone else's, you may see a lower quality video. If the conditions change as you're watching, then the system adapts to these changes. The days of seeing "buffering" messages are mostly behind us. I would think that 15Mbps would produce reasonably good viewing these days.

Rich

Online SallyElliot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Today at 12:14:49 PM »
One thing to remember about streaming "applications" - they are adaptive to the quality of your internet connection. Ultimately, they'll all converge on using something called MPEG DASH (Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTTP). The application has a continued "conversation" with the server reporting on the connection speed - the server sends segments matching this connection. So, if your connection is considerably slower than someone else's, you may see a lower quality video. If the conditions change as you're watching, then the system adapts to these changes. The days of seeing "buffering" messages are mostly behind us. I would think that 15Mbps would produce reasonably good viewing these days. Rich 

You're right Rich that internet connection is important but streaming application do make a difference. My fire tv stick quality is better than Samsung smart tv youtube streaming. Even browser seem to affect the quality. I noticed that firefox browser seem to work better than Samsung smart TV browser. Thanks for sharing useful info.