Author Topic: Cover feedback  (Read 1433 times)  

Offline randallcfloyd

• View Profile
Cover feedback
« on: December 11, 2017, 04:34:53 PM »

It's for a quick little non-fiction book on ... you guessed it ... writing, that I want to make perma-free.

Any feedback would be wonderful.

Thanks,
Randall

Offline TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
    • View Profile
Re: Cover feedback
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 05:44:39 PM »
I like that it's invisible. How did you do that?

Ha ha. On my computer, it's not showing up, even with my adblocker off.

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter

Online C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 05:47:57 PM »
I don't think gmail is a good image hosting site :P

Online ImaWriter

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 05:48:41 PM »

Any feedback would be wonderful.

You need to be a little less transparent when it comes to advertising your genre. Remember, that's what your cover should do!   ;D

• Unsubscribed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 05:52:00 PM »
I like that it appears to be in "siege mode".

Offline randallcfloyd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 06:00:00 PM »
Is it not showing up on anyone's screen? ... that explains a lot

Offline randallcfloyd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 06:03:38 PM »

Maybe this time ...

Online Day Leitao

• Montreal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 06:37:22 PM »
You could get a better photo from an image bank. You could get one for free from Unsplash:

https://unsplash.com/search/photos/writing

I don't like the image you have because the page is empty.

If you keep this image, try to have more contrast.

If you change image, again, aim for contrast.

You could also grab a 50$ cover from here http://goonwrite.com/book-covers-writing_pre-made.htm
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 06:40:10 PM by Day Leitao »

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 07:16:40 PM »

Maybe this time ...

Contrast is your friend.  you have pale pastel typography on a mostly-cream-colored image.  In thumbnail the text will be difficult, if not impossible, to read.

Also, related to the lack of dark/light contrast, I had to look three times to see that the subtitle is "The 5-step guide...."  It looks like S-Step because the 5 and S are virtually indistinguishable from each other.

As has been mentioned, the image looks more like a diary entry than a supposed book manuscript.  I would think a ringed notebook, or a pic of hands on a keyboard, would be better.  In addition to Unsplash (as suggested), try Pixabay.  I've found some interesting images there, and they're free.
Jena

Offline Angela Haddon

• Book Cover Designer
    • View Profile
    • Angela Haddon Book Cover Design
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 07:42:31 PM »
I do like how clean you've made this, and the bold, sans-serif font does promise a concise, no-nonsense approach. I don't actually mind that the page is blank, as it implies the promise of writing yet to come. However, I agree that contrast is your biggest issue here, making it difficult to read the title. I would also emphasize the '5-Step' approach, as that is appealing to potential readers :)

Online C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 08:05:24 PM »

Here's a few different sizes. As others said, you need more contrast. Looking at the cover makes me sleepy, it doesn't say WRITING KILLER CHAPTERS!!!! Instead it whispers the title in a monotone voice. Too much NOT going on with this cover. Too bland, too pastel, too much space where the boring background is visible. It's ok to have a bland background, but then you need to color it up and have that text SCREAM AT ME!! in a good way, not a creepy, back away from the crazy person kind of way. The text needs to be larger, louder, and stomping all over that background. It's ok, the background is too sleepy to mind.

I should also add, that I want to put a chapter title on that blank lined paper to go with the title.

I would look at other covers in the genre to get a feel for how their covers pop.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 08:07:05 PM by C. Gold »

Offline Kathy Dee

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 12:12:21 AM »
Sorry, but it is quite poor imo. If you made it yourself, well, it's a start and you will improve over time if you keep going. Don't mean to be negative, but it looks amateur and just doesn't grab me at all.
"The saddest thing in life is people with sight, but without vision." - Helen Keller

Offline Marty South

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 12:27:53 AM »
I don't mind this cover, but it doesn't give me a burning desire to buy the book. There are several covers here that are on point and which might be more effective. http://www.goonwrite.com/book-covers-writing_pre-made.htm

Offline RightHoJeeves

• Perth
    • View Profile
    • Lawson Copywriting
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 12:41:32 AM »
Not to pile on, but if you're going to use a period at the end of "the 5-step guide", you should probably use one after "every single time".

Actually, now I look closely at it, there is a tiny feature on the actual image that sits next to the "G" in "amazing". It looks a bit weird because it sort of looks like a period too.

James Lawson

Online Day Leitao

• Montreal
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2017, 03:02:18 AM »
Someone mentioned the typography, and I have to agree it's good.

It would look good on a dark background.

Offline randallcfloyd

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2017, 08:17:38 AM »
I suppose I got what I deserved on that one. I did design this one myself, with photoshop, but it took me about 5 minutes. With all of your awesome feedback, I'll do something better and repost. I'd love to design covers, as Photoshop is a hobby of mine, but, like I said, I really rushed this one.

Offline randallcfloyd

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 04:33:34 PM »
I spent a little more time on this one. I think it's a little more on point. Tell me what you think!

Offline TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2017, 04:36:22 PM »
I wonder if you want a blank page as the image. That says, "Writer's Block!" to me.

Also, how about a confirmation that you're writing about writing fiction chapters? This background would convey that:

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Puddleduck

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2017, 04:38:26 PM »
I like the second one much better. I did think the blank page sent the wrong signal for what the book's about.

Offline randallcfloyd

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2017, 05:12:25 PM »
I wonder if you want a blank page as the image. That says, "Writer's Block!" to me.

Also, how about a confirmation that you're writing about writing fiction chapters? This background would convey that:

That's awesome! It reminds me of a photo I changed for an article I wrote on Medium https://medium.com/@RandallCFloyd/the-art-of-getting-distracted-8394073629f3.

(Hint - I added the cat videos)

Online Day Leitao

• Montreal
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2017, 05:12:31 PM »
I like the title typography and the knife. I think it really works. Maybe you could put it in the middle over a very light image?

The typography in the bottom is messy. The alignment is odd, and there's too little space between the first two lines. I do like the mix between red and black, though.

I'm not sure the image is working very well, and I don't like the author name on the paper coming from the typewriter.

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2017, 05:26:02 PM »
I spent a little more time on this one. I think it's a little more on point. Tell me what you think!

Much better.  However.....   sorry to nitpick, but the knife is already a little hard to see (white on white), so in any smaller version, like thumbnail, it'll be pretty much invisible.
Jena

Offline mjl1966

• View Profile
    • Let me tell  you a story
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2017, 05:33:27 PM »
Much better.  Not a fan of the knife, though.  This is a how-to-write-books book, not a slasher. 

Offline Rayne Book Covers

• India
    • View Profile
    • The Dark Rayne
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2017, 08:57:52 PM »

This one is a lot better than the previous one. Suggestions: lose the knife. Reduce the size of the typewriter to increase the space for the text at the bottom which looks very cramped up at the moment. Author's name can go in two lines and the font size increased. All the best!
Book cover art by Renu Sharma | ART WEBSITE | BOOK COVERS WEBSITE | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | Email: contact@raynebookcovers.com

Online C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2017, 07:50:47 AM »
Much better.  Not a fan of the knife, though.  This is a how-to-write-books book, not a slasher.
It could be a how-to-write-slasher books!  ;D

I agree with the last suggestion - you need more space for the bottom text, author name could use two lines, and shrink the typewriter.