Author Topic: Cover feedback  (Read 1127 times)  

Offline Christine Clayfield

• View Profile
Re: Cover feedback
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2017, 07:59:35 AM »
I spent a little more time on this one. I think it's a little more on point. Tell me what you think!

This one is really good, much better than the 'invisible' 1st one and the 'boring' 2nd one ;)
I actually like the knife being behind the word 'killer' it is subtle, but it's there.

How about a bloody knife next to the typewriter?

Offline TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2017, 08:08:31 AM »
I like the typewriter cover.

I was going to make a mock-up with a typewriter, but I wondered about how many potential readers have ever used or even seen a real typewriter. I used a typewriter almost exactly like that one as a kid. To me it says "Writer!"

But how many of today's writers will see it that way? Hmm.

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter

Offline randallcfloyd

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2017, 11:46:01 AM »
Thanks everyone for all the feedback. I think my cover is much better now because of it.
Gryphus: 61%
Fiction Site | Writing Tips

Online C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2017, 12:30:20 PM »

I feel like the white space should be flipped or equalized between the top and bottom. That bottom text still looks too squashed and the top text looks too spaced.

Offline SophiaQuinn

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2017, 04:49:33 PM »
I think it's getting better every time, but, especially at smaller sizes, the hierarchy of information is confusingi.e., I can't see the author name! It appears at first blush that "every single time" is your name :P I'd move the tagline to a circular burst over the typewriter image and put your byline at the bottom.
Impossiby Yours Whiskey Creek Book 1: 31%

Offline Max Zsol

• SF, CA
    • View Profile
    • Max Zsol
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2017, 06:42:36 PM »
I like the color scheme, type and overall balance. I would remove the last line and replace it with the author name. The name is not readable now (plus the text could not have been typed with the typewriter, which breaks the illusion.)

Also I would watch out not to stretch the type and just limit yourself to different weights or one second family.

Good luck!

Offline geronl

• View Profile
    • Floyd Looney's Sci-Fi
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2017, 07:51:47 PM »
drop the knife, put the tagline on the paper and the author name underneath

Floyd Looney

Offline MonkeyScribe

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2017, 06:03:51 PM »
Don't take this the wrong way, but isn't it too soon for you to write this book? It looks to me like you published your first book one month ago. It has three reviews and a handful of sales, based on the ranking.

A how to write guide seems premature to me.

Offline randallcfloyd

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2018, 05:01:39 PM »
Don't take this the wrong way, but isn't it too soon for you to write this book? It looks to me like you published your first book one month ago. It has three reviews and a handful of sales, based on the ranking.

A how to write guide seems premature to me.

I'm not exactly sure what the right way to take the comment is. I was just asking for feedback on the cover. Publishing books and editing them are two different things. I've been editing since 2009, so I know a few things about story structure, plot, and such - enough to write the book that is.

Honestly, though, based on my lousy book sales (I've only sold 109 copies) and book reviews (up to five now!) I can see why you'd have the question.
Gryphus: 61%
Fiction Site | Writing Tips