Author Topic: Kindle for teen  (Read 220 times)  

Offline gundersen

• View Profile
Kindle for teen
« on: December 12, 2017, 08:09:16 PM »
I bought the latest kindle for one of my kids. I have a Amazon account, but I have never purchased anything digital. What is the best way to go for adding a account for my teen? The teen will be buying stuff that I will never read. I understand that the digital stuff is just a license for you (the name that bought it) to use it. So ultimately I would like the teen to have their own account. Is Amazon Household the way to go? Should I just use my account, and with the knowledge that if I die all the books (licenses) are gone? I generally use devices without DRM so this is a new area for me. If I use my Account do I have to delete all my saved payment methods from Amazon account so my teen doesn't go on a spree?

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
Re: Kindle for teen
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 04:36:46 AM »
Not sure how Amazon household works, but that is meant to be a way to link accounts -- so devices registered to different accounts can read each other's books. So it would work if you each had an account.

Me: I'd let the teen have their own account. But, as a parent, I'd control how much can be purchased and WHAT can be purchased. I'd make some very clear rules with my teen about how I can log in any time and see what s/he's been purchasing and would restrict purchasing by funding the account ONLY with gift cards. Or, of course, if they make their own money they can use it. Sort of a 'trust but verify' system. :)

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR