Author Topic: Oasis 2 doesn't want to sync  (Read 1276 times)  

Offline LDB

• Texas
    • View Profile
Oasis 2 doesn't want to sync
« on: December 13, 2017, 08:32:01 AM »
I keep the O2 in airplane mode almost all the time. I turned it off today because I knew there were a few things to be downloaded. The little symbol came up and it said connected. I tapped the "sync" button over a dozen times in the course of 15 minutes or so but it never downloaded the new items. Anyone have a similar problem? Anyone have a suggestion for getting it to sync?

Offline ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
Re: Oasis 2 doesn't want to sync
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 10:14:31 AM »
I keep the O2 in airplane mode almost all the time. I turned it off today because I knew there were a few things to be downloaded. The little symbol came up and it said connected. I tapped the "sync" button over a dozen times in the course of 15 minutes or so but it never downloaded the new items. Anyone have a similar problem? Anyone have a suggestion for getting it to sync?

Forcing it to sync, no, but whenever I have a new Kindle and make it the primary one, I have trouble for a while with purchases and borrows not going to it automatically. There's been some of that with my O2. Sometimes things do turn up on it automatically, but sometimes I have to go to the Cloud and download from there. You could get your new downloads that way, I suspect.

Offline LauraB

• midwest, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 07:28:02 PM »
I had the same thing happen. The wheel on top left just kept spinning then looked like had spin but stopped. I finally did a hard reset, held power button about 30 seconds until screen flashed and the picture of kid under screen showed on screen  and it hasnt done it since. I had to hold the button 25-30 seconds. I got the box  do you want scree off, reset.... But I just kept holding button. When screen flashed 3times and picture came up I let go, that is hard restart. It doesnt wipe keep like like a factory reset does.
*edited for typos
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 07:29:37 PM by LauraB »
Books read in 2010: 43 2011: 42 + the Bible 2012: 60; books read 2013:56*

Offline LDB

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 07:50:40 PM »
Update 1. I did a restart with the menu option restart. After that it would connect and say "checking" and then "no new items" in spite of there being about 6 items I know were bought after the last sync so they should download. I'm going to try a hold down the button restart and see if that does anything different than a menu option restart.

Update 2. I did a "hold the button restart". Same results. It connects and says checking and then no items found. Prior to doing this I went into manage content and checked 6 new items and said deliver them even though I already said deliver them when I clicked to buy them. It's beginning to look like it's going to be either "reset" or return for repair. Not happy with either of those ideas.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 07:58:34 PM by LDB »

Online mpeg2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 05:26:34 AM »
I've had similar issues at random times with older readers (all the way back to the Kindle III). I've found that either the time on the reader was messed up (which meant that new stuff wasn't considered to be "new") - or (more often) that a restart of my router took care of the issue.

No idea why restarting the router fixed things and it never happened often - so it was easier to just to it than try to figure out the root cause.

Check the time on your Oasis & try restarting your router.

Rich

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 06:31:46 AM »
I second the suggestion for checking the date and time on the device.
I know the older Kindles did weird stuff when the date and time were wrong.

Offline LDB

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 07:50:49 AM »
Update 3. I left airplane mode off overnight to see if it might eventually sync the new items. Nope. This morning I bought a couple more new items. I clicked sync again and nothing.

I restarted the router and tried again. Nothing.

I restarted the O2 after the router was back up. Nothing. It still says "no new items" even though there should now be 8-9 things waiting to download.

I'm going to take it with me when I go to lunch in an hour so it will be away from the router. I'll try it when it should work with the 3G. If it still fails I'll try restarting it one more time where it shouldn't connect to any wifi and try once more via 3G. If that doesn't work I guess I'll have to do a hard reset before giving up and contacting Amazon to report a defect.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 07:58:58 AM »
That is odd. Something doesn't sound right with that one. Have you tried de-registering and then re-registering to your account? I know a full reset will do the same thing, but I'd try that first.

Its like it doesn't want to talk to the mothership.

Member since 11/20/2008  | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline LDB

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 08:14:18 AM »
No, I haven't tried de-registering. I've been hoping to avoid losing all the stuff that's in it and having to reload it. If my away from the house experiment fails I guess that will be the next step.

Offline quadtronix

• New York
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 12:40:37 PM »
Isnt there an option to display downloaded content only, and one to display all content... could you possibly be displaying only whats already downloaded? Hmmm... I also had the problem a few times where I go to sync and it gets stuck on connected and doesnt sync but a restart fixes it every time... anyway, try and see if its set to display all items or just downloaded ones and then set it to all and tap them manually to install them... hope that helps. I think the option is in the upper left corner of your library screen. Also are these books or magazines/newspapers or what? If not books that could be an issue also...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline LDB

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 01:54:39 PM »
Update next. Ok, at lunch it logged in to 3G. When I clicked sync it said nothing found. I left it off airplane mode and read through lunch. When I finished eating and went to turn airplane mode back on I found it had downloaded 9 items. So the aliens are apparently messing with it randomly.

Offline LDB

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2017, 12:57:51 PM »
Update another. I just got a book that is one of those where you go to the experimental browser and put in the address and it shows a picture of the cover. That worked immediately. So it's apparently talking to the router fine but won't talk to Amazon direct. I guess I'm going to be stuck de and re registering and/or hard resetting.

Offline LDB

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2017, 11:31:45 AM »
Well, I gave up and deleted the wifi. Now even at home it uses 3G. It's painfully slow but at least it seems to work.

Offline HLS

• MO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2018, 02:38:18 PM »
When I read on the oasis and sync  so it will save spot on other devices it does not often do so. Like it will not sync to furthest page read on my ipad at all no matter what i do
I own a 7" Oasis, Nook  Plus and a Nook Glowlight 3, iPad, Fire Tablets, 8 inch AZUS