Author Topic: Voyage, Paperwhite & Audible  (Read 708 times)  

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
Voyage, Paperwhite & Audible
« on: December 14, 2017, 11:09:33 AM »
Every time I connect either my Voyage or PW2 to my PC, it keeps asking me if I want to activate my Kindle's internal storage and transfer my Audible content there.

Since neither of those models has speakers, why would I want to transfer my Audible content? Does it just mean - do you want to use the Kindle as a hard drive for storage? If so, why only Audible content?
"A person who publishes books, willfully appears before the populace with his pants down." Edna St. Vincent Millay

Member since 03/17/2010 | (make your own reading bar) |
My Kindles: Kindle Voyage  | Kindle Paperwhite  |  Fire HD 10  | Kindle DX  | Kindle Touch

Offline tsemple

• View Profile
Re: Voyage, Paperwhite & Audible
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 10:19:37 PM »
_What_ software is asking you about this? My guess is that it is some Audible software that is designed to load audiobooks on an MP3 player. When you plug in a Kindle, it looks like flash storage and the software just assumes it might be an MP3 player. But the Kindles you have do not support audiobooks in Audible or MP3 format.

Strictly speaking Voyage does have audio out (via USB port). It (unofficially) supports Voice View screen reader.

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 05:21:45 AM »
A box pops up on the PC - not the Kindle - asking the question and the choice is either 'activate' or 'cancel'.

I always supposed you could use the Kindle's hard drive for storage if you wanted, though I've never had any reason to do that - but if that's all it means, why specifically mention Audible content?

One possibility is that it's the same software version as on the Oasis, which CAN play Audible content and the option is redundant on the other models.

I was just curious is all.  ???
"A person who publishes books, willfully appears before the populace with his pants down." Edna St. Vincent Millay

My Kindles: Kindle Voyage  | Kindle Paperwhite  |  Fire HD 10  | Kindle DX  | Kindle Touch

Offline tsemple

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 12:45:09 PM »
It would mention Audible content if it was Audible software (running on the PC). Likewise the language to activate. Again, a basic MP3 player looks like flash storage to the PC, and would to Audible software. You did not confirm what software was actually displaying the message but Windows has nothing to do with Audible so it is likely software you installed from Audible at some point.

The newer Kindles that support Audible cannot read MP3 files, and you dont need any special software to put Audible files on them. Just download .AAX file from your Audible library and copy the file to the /audible folder on the Kindle.

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 01:57:48 AM »
It would mention Audible content if it was Audible software (running on the PC). Likewise the language to activate. Again, a basic MP3 player looks like flash storage to the PC, and would to Audible software. You did not confirm what software was actually displaying the message but Windows has nothing to do with Audible so it is likely software you installed from Audible at some point.

The newer Kindles that support Audible cannot read MP3 files, and you dont need any special software to put Audible files on them. Just download .AAX file from your Audible library and copy the file to the /audible folder on the Kindle.

It appears to be a windows box that pops up, rather any software opening. Incidentally I have an 'Audible' folder on my Voyage - it came like that, I didn't put it on, though why it's there is a puzzle. That's why I think they just put the same firmware on all the newer Kindles even though some of it would appear to be redundant on some models.

Offline tsemple

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 03:13:42 PM »
It appears to be a windows box that pops up, rather any software opening. Incidentally I have an 'Audible' folder on my Voyage - it came like that, I didn't put it on, though why it's there is a puzzle. That's why I think they just put the same firmware on all the newer Kindles even though some of it would appear to be redundant on some models.
That is interesting. I have never had an audible folder on my Voyage, but had the notion that with the latest update, creating one might wake up a latent Audible feature. It did not. Voyage does have audio, and you can hook up a speaker to its USB port (with appropriate, inexpensive USB module). But the only thing that will generate audio is VoiceView (which wakes up only when you plug in the audio module).

I still think you must have some Audible software on your PC (such as Audible Download Manager) and it has a background service which monitors removeable storage. This would probably have created the folder as well. You might go to Add/Remove Programs and look for it.

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 02:23:27 AM »
I do have Audible Download Manager but that only auto opens when I download from Audible, not when I connect my Kindle, though I suppose it could be working in the background.

I didn't know about VoiceView - perhaps it's related to that. It's a mystery, but not a major problem - I was curious is all, but I'm not going to worry about it.

Offline tsemple

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2017, 08:26:49 AM »
Windows can have a default action when mounting external storage. I suspect that default on your computer is to launch Audible Download Manager. I do not remember off hand how you can change this. I think I have mine set to do nothing.