Author Topic: I climbed the Eiger and wrote 20,000 words of my next novel before lunch.  (Read 1034 times)  

Offline Fleurina

• West Coast of Scotland
    • View Profile
Yesterday I climbed the Eiger and wrote 20,000 words of my next novel, and all before lunchtime.
In reality, I went out for coffee, then bought a few gifts and came home and wrapped them, with a Netflix Xmas movie in the background. I haven't written a single word of my second book in the last few days. I feel overwhelmed and confused by categories, keywords and marketing, and have ground to an exhausted and despondent halt. Then I go on Twitter and find author posts honestly very similar to the first sentence.  I am unworthy!
Anyone else who feels overwhelmed by this writing and marketing lark at times.  If it were only the writing, it would be a joy.
Kick Anxiety & Live in the Now: 80%

Haunted Scottish Castle - Izzie Firecracker 3: 10%
Janet Butler Male | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Offline The Bass Bagwhan

• Western Australia
  • Horror & Urban Fantasy... I think.
    • View Profile
    • Graeme Hague
Re: I climbed the Eiger and wrote 20,000 words of my next novel before lunch.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 04:05:45 AM »
None of your concerns about marketing, etc matter at all until you've written the book. Focus on that and forget the rest. And always write at your own pace. Sure, some people dictate (usually) 10,000 words before breakfast. Then they spend the next three weeks editing it into something vaguely readable. Different workflows work (or not) for different people.
Just do what works for you.
Author, freelance writer and editor, professional musician, recording engineer... published in Australia, the UK and Germany. So why am I poor? Oh, wait...
I'll be a writer... seemed like a good idea at the time

Offline Fleurina

• West Coast of Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 04:16:30 AM »
Thanks for that.  It's the marketing of the first book, published a month ago, that is overwhelming. However, I've noticed a few posts here saying not to focus too much on marketing until there are at least two books out there. Intuitively that feels right to me - the latter, so maybe I'll just put most of my focus on writing the second book, then go a little more gung-ho on marketing, ads, etc.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 04:18:23 AM by Fleurina »

Offline JTriptych

• View Profile
    • facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 04:24:39 AM »
The Eiger Sanction is my favorite book so I had to post in this thread.  ;D

Offline Fleurina

• West Coast of Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 05:40:52 AM »
The Eiger Sanction is my favorite book so I had to post in this thread.  ;D

I enjoyed the movie back in the day but haven't read the book.  Based on your high praise I just popped the sample onto my Kindle, read the first few pages, and was pulled in from the first paragraph.  I will continue my perusal later, but so far so good. Thanks!

Offline margiebk

• View Profile
    • Marjory Kaptanoglu | Novelist & Screenwriter
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 06:37:07 AM »
Fleurina, I could've written your post, I'm in such a similar situation. I published my first book two months ago, working on the sequel, wrestling with marketing, and watched "It's a Wonderful Life" while wrapping Christmas presents two days ago.

Ways I'm trying to deal with it all:

RE writing the book, in a way I've been inspired by those completing a lot of words in a day. I'm trying to hit 3000, though usually I don't. But I find it actually helps my process to bang out the words quickly and just get the first draft out there for me to rewrite. I emphasize, writing that fast is for the first draft only for me. I slow down in rewrites. And if that means it takes me 6 months to a year to finish the sequel, so be it. Quality is more important than quantity.

RE marketing, I've been experimenting with a lot of different things, and most aren't very successful at this point, which may just be what you have to expect with your first book. My tendency is to not market at all and just write, because that's what I LIKE to do, but I'm forcing myself to work on marketing as I feel it's a skill I need to learn, whether I have one book or 20. However, just like with professional editing, book cover design, and formatting, there is help out there and you don't have to do it all yourself. I've hired someone to come up with a marketing plan for my specific book. Cheaper than a publicist, because I will be doing the work, but she will direct my focus. I don't know how much this will help, but I do feel more relaxed all of a sudden, knowing I'm going to get guidance from someone who's been around the block a lot more than me.

RE Christmas, it's a time of year when people tend to feel overwhelmed no matter what. The shopping, the cooking, the wrapping, the wanting everything to be perfect... I try to remind myself that it's a holiday and I can (and should) allow myself to relax. Easier said than done, but that's my advice anyway. Book two and AMS will still be there on January 1, and it will make little difference whether I worked on them the previous two weeks or not.

You probably know this book, but just in case, I recommend Bird by Bird, by Anne Lamott. It's so easy to get overwhelmed when you think about everything that you need to do, or everything you think everyone else is accomplishing, leaving you behind. So don't do that. One bird at a time. You can do it.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 06:39:12 AM by margiebk »

Marjory Kaptanoglu | Website | Goodreads | IMDB | Blog | Facebook

Offline Jessie G. Talbot

• Raleigh, NC
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 08:07:12 AM »
I managed my three books in a row but now I'm rewriting so my marketing has to wait. I have angst about missing out on the holiday sales but then I remember...it's the holidays!

IT'S CHRISTMAS! Time to enjoy yourself, the season, your friends, your family, and those holiday specials on the TV. Beating yourself up for writerly 'performance issues' can wait until after New Years. Or never, you're just starting out. You have to be kind to yourself (at all stages of your career) or you'll burn out.

Jessie G. Talbot | Website | Twitter | Newsletter

Offline Fleurina

• West Coast of Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2017, 09:30:26 AM »
Thanks, Jessie and Margiebk.
The irony is that in my day job I'm a stress consultant, hahaha! I've been meditating every day for the last thirty years, and I'm usually quite laid-back and take a spontaneous approach to life,  but this book-stuff has had a weird effect on me.  I've decided, with the help of your posts to focus less on marketing and more on writing. The former is arduous (to me) and the latter fun. I've never been a fan of marketing and promotion, and I believe this has lost me much business over the years.  I saw a post by a well-established author the other day (can't remember who or where), and he said if we just did a tad of book marketing every day the effect is dramatically good, but over time.
I think my stress was coming from wanting to use some of the Kindle free book days over Christmas, but I'm too busy to plan the marketing and didn't want to waste the promotion, so it can just wait until January, with maybe only one free book day on December 25th.
Thanks again for your input. Much appreciated. Netflix, chocolate and mince pies, here I come!

Online Martitalbott

• Marti Talbott
    • View Profile
    • Marti Talbott's Books
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2017, 10:38:04 AM »
As the author of 47 novels, I must say marketing is an ongoing struggle even for me.

The thing to remember is that the only way you can truly lose is to give up. When my sales don't go well on a new book, I consider making the blurb more dramatic. Really, why not? What do I have to lose? It doesn't always make readers rush off to buy it, but if a change in the blurb doubles sales from 1 to 2, hey, that's progress.

This is a long term business, with very few overnight successes. My bestselling book has 479 reviews, but...it's free and it took six years to get them. Point made, I hope.

Marti Talbott's Books   www.martitalbott.com

Offline DrewMcGunn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2017, 11:19:28 AM »
Let me second what others have said (or is that third or fourth?).  The second book is your priority, IMO.  Worry about marketing later.

If you feel you must do a little marketing, dip your toe in the AMS pool and see what you think.  A little exposure might trigger a few sales.  But if you keep your bids/daily spend low, it's an inexpensive way to play around the edges of marketing while finishing the 2nd novel.

One thing I've learned on the Kboards forum, is that everyone of us will have a somewhat unique path to success.  What works in one genre doesn't necessarily work in another, and what works for one author may not be replicated by another trying to follow the same path.

Now back to finishing my final post edit review for book 2.  With any luck, I'll have it up in a few days.

Good luck, Fleurina.

Drew McGunn

Online Evenstar

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2017, 12:54:08 PM »
Oh please!
I ran a marathon and learnt Japanese before breakfast.

But then I sat down and wrote out a list of all the book titles and author names in my also-boughts, plus those in their also-boughts. I typed it into an excel spreadsheet and then loaded the list into a keywords sponsored ad on AMS. That took about 45 minutes. There - marketing done for the whole day.

After that I spent the day with my husband and kids. We did a supermarket shop and went to the xmas panto. Tonight when they've gone to bed I'll attempt to write 500 words, no more. It was hard enough day (even if I actually did nothing at all before breakfast).

Give yourself a break! Small manageable tasks are all you need to take on. It's a manic time of year. Just note down two things you will do today, both of which should be less than an hour of your time each. If you get them both done then you are super amazing fantastic! And if you don't then you are normal....  ;)

Offline C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2017, 12:54:49 PM »
Setting up a dollar a day budget for AMS or even FB ads is the best way to do some automated 'marketing' while you work on book 2. At the same time you know those ads are limited so they won't spend your bank account when your back is turned. Unless you are worrying about newsletter swaps and group giveaways, there's nothing much else you can do with a single book. You want that next book and maybe a third. Then you can start worrying about marketing!

Online Seneca42

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2017, 01:16:32 PM »
I wrote 70,000 words, edited them and published them today. Hit top #500 in all paid on zon. 

It's not that hard to do. The key is just make sure no one can verify if what you are saying is true or not. Then really almost anything is possible if you can imagine it.  :P

Offline Fleurina

• West Coast of Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2017, 03:21:50 PM »
Thank you all so much for the marvellous and helpful, and funny, replies.  This forum is fab!
Anyway, I'm off to bed; I need sleep if I'm to compete with Evenstar and Seneca42 and learn Japanese as I type my next novel before breakfast - not - I'll just do one or two things to advance writing world. Thanks, C Gold, and DrewMcgunn that is what I will do; Ams with small daily limit and maybe a little Facebook ad or two. And Martalbott, it's helpful to know that you still struggle with marketing after 47 novels, and I'll see if I can add some Wow to my blurb.  The pressure is off, and the Xmas party hat is on.
Cheers!