Author Topic: Convert from PDF  (Read 759 times)  

Offline KBD

• VIC, Australia
  • Paperwhite
    • View Profile
Convert from PDF
« on: December 26, 2017, 01:11:51 AM »
I have some software manuals in PDF format that I am trying to convert to a suitable format for a Kindle reader. I have tried 2 online converters so far (pdf2kindle and online-convert) and they both give similar results. The text in the PDF is on 2 columns on each page, but the converter has ignored the column structure and has alternately read a line from each column. How crazy is that! Is there a better converter somewhere?

By the way, I wouldn't care too much if the converter ignores images and just ends up with the text in the resulting document. But the text needs to be decently formatted and legible.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 04:56:03 PM by KBD »

Offline Paperbackstash

• View Profile
Re: Convert from PDF
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 08:53:06 AM »
Calibre is a pretty good converter that you may want to try. It's free and popular. It's not an online based product though - it's a downloadable program. They can convert the formats to .mobi and send to Kindle. I can't promise you won't have formatting issues with it still, though, but it's worth a try.

Offline KBD

• VIC, Australia
  • Paperwhite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 04:00:04 AM »
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 04:00:57 AM »
FWIW, I've found conversion from PDF uniformly problematic. But Calibre is probably the best option available.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline nomesque

• Macleay Island, Australia
    • View Profile
    • DEADish Online
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 04:20:08 AM »
PDFs are a pain in the neck if you're trying to get them into a different format. It's because of the way PDFs store information - a Word document stores a block of text with all the formatting and placement a secondary consideration, but a PDF focuses first on placement and second on the actual text itself.

If Calibre doesn't help, you might find that opening the PDF in Word, then saving as a .doc and THEN converting to Kindle format, offers the best reading experience. I sympathise, though - trying to get text out of a PDF can be a huge exercise in frustration.

Offline KBD

• VIC, Australia
  • Paperwhite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 10:35:56 PM »
Unfortunately I didn't have time to try any more conversion experiments before going away on holiday. I ended up switching to landscape view, which made the pdf text a bit easier to read.

Thanks for all the suggestions.