Kindle Forum banner

Convert from PDF

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  KBD 
#1 ·
I have some software manuals in PDF format that I am trying to convert to a suitable format for a Kindle reader. I have tried 2 online converters so far (pdf2kindle and online-convert) and they both give similar results. The text in the PDF is on 2 columns on each page, but the converter has ignored the column structure and has alternately read a line from each column. How crazy is that! Is there a better converter somewhere?

By the way, I wouldn't care too much if the converter ignores images and just ends up with the text in the resulting document. But the text needs to be decently formatted and legible.

#2 ·
Calibre is a pretty good converter that you may want to try. It's free and popular. It's not an online based product though - it's a downloadable program. They can convert the formats to .mobi and send to Kindle. I can't promise you won't have formatting issues with it still, though, but it's worth a try.

#5 ·
PDFs are a pain in the neck if you're trying to get them into a different format. It's because of the way PDFs store information - a Word document stores a block of text with all the formatting and placement a secondary consideration, but a PDF focuses first on placement and second on the actual text itself.

If Calibre doesn't help, you might find that opening the PDF in Word, then saving as a .doc and THEN converting to Kindle format, offers the best reading experience. I sympathise, though - trying to get text out of a PDF can be a huge exercise in frustration.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.