KB Featured

by

$
Kindle Edition published 2016-12-10
Bestseller ranking: 289232

Product Description
Where is Adam?

Julie Raynes’ husband has been missing for six months. Devastated and confused, she refuses to believe that he would leave her voluntarily, though her best friend thinks differently. However, her Aunt Alice, a psychic, tells her Adam has been murdered, and when she reveals how she knows this, any hope that Adam is still alive, dissipates.

The police are also beginning to believe that Adam Raynes was murdered. And Julie is their prime suspect. Her life in ruins, Julie vows to hunt down whoever is responsible for Adam’s murder and make them pay for their crime.

In the meantime, David Gray, a young man who was pulled from a lake by a fisherman when he was 9 years old, wakens from a coma after nearly two decades. Unknown to Julie, Adam and David share a dark connection, a darkness that threatens to devour both of them, in a terrifying race with death.

Author Topic: women's literary fiction, NOT romance  (Read 1805 times)  

Online katie78

• Tucson, AZ
  • I'm a hybrid author with several published novels.
    • View Profile
    • Katie O'Rourke
women's literary fiction, NOT romance
« on: December 26, 2017, 05:16:42 PM »
i'm looking for other authors in my genre for collaboration, newsletter swaps and idea sharing. i find that so much of promotion is genre dependent and figuring out what works requires comparing apples to apples (not lit fic to sci fi.)

no offense to writers of romance- it just isn't women's fiction. not arguing one is better or worse, just that they are different.

i'm talking ann packer, celeste ng, julia glass, nicole krauss, sue miller, jennifer egan, jodi picoult, lauren groff, j courtney sullivan, deb caletti, jennifer weiner, ayelet waldman, jennifer haigh, elizabeth berg...

where are my people?

Offline NatPane

• View Profile
Re: women's literary fiction, NOT romance
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 06:02:44 PM »
I would say, please count me in! Except I don't think I'd be much use to you. I'm just starting out too and know nothing. But I have to say, I love all the authors you mentioned. I also see that you write in the present tense. I've read here that a lot of people hate this style. A shock to me. To each their own. I love it and use it when the story calls for it. So a nod to you on that as well. :) Hope you get a lot of members.

Offline Laura Rae Amos

• Metro DC
    • View Profile
    • LauraRaeAmos.com
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 06:19:39 PM »
Here! :)

I'm always happy to find another women's lit indie! So many in our genre are traditionally published, it can feel very alienating sometimes.

Online katie78

• Tucson, AZ
    • View Profile
    • Katie O'Rourke
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 07:57:38 PM »
I would say, please count me in! Except I don't think I'd be much use to you. I'm just starting out too and know nothing. But I have to say, I love all the authors you mentioned. I also see that you write in the present tense. I've read here that a lot of people hate this style. A shock to me. To each their own. I love it and use it when the story calls for it. So a nod to you on that as well. :) Hope you get a lot of members.
that's cool. we were all starting out once. maybe we can brew something up together as a group.

how  new are you? got a book out? a newsletter? ever paid for online advertising?

Online katie78

• Tucson, AZ
    • View Profile
    • Katie O'Rourke
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 08:01:56 PM »
Here! :)

I'm always happy to find another women's lit indie! So many in our genre are traditionally published, it can feel very alienating sometimes.
so true.. i consider myself hybrid.  my first book was traditionally published, i have another with kindle scout and two on my own. can you recommend any indies  in our genre?

Online Write.Dream.Repeat.

• Pro Book Design That Sells
    • View Profile
    • Write Dream Repeat Book Design
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 08:48:56 PM »
You might want to check out Suanne Laqueur, an awesome client of mine:

https://www.amazon.com/Suanne-Laqueur/e/B00L2C9ML8

Ebook formatting starting at $30.00. Print typesetting starting at $55.00.
Colleen Sheehan | Write Dream Repeat Book Design

Offline lisamaliga

• USA
  • Author of books for discerning readers
    • View Profile
    • Author of books for discerning readers ~ www.lisamaliga.com
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 09:12:02 PM »
Hi Katie78,
I've written a couple of novels that are in your genre. Lately, I've been concentrating on nonfiction. However, I'd be happy to be part of a newsletter swap or anything else.
Thanks,
Lisa

Author of books for discerning readers
Lisa Maliga | Official Website | Blog | Facebook | Pinterest[/ur

Offline writerlygal

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 12:09:15 AM »
I write romance, but, I like to read the kind of books you write, OP, so I thought I'd let you know I just added Finding Charlie to my To Read in KU list. Good luck!

Offline BeMyBookBaby

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 03:44:45 AM »
I presume Chick Lit doesnt fall into this category?

If not, all the best luck to you! X

Offline NatPane

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 06:45:19 AM »
that's cool. we were all starting out once. maybe we can brew something up together as a group.

how  new are you? got a book out? a newsletter? ever paid for online advertising?

I do have a book out, which is over a year old. So maybe I'm newish? Although I don't know how many years you have to rack up before you can say you're a seasoned author. I don't have a newsletter unfortunately. Like I said, probably little use to you. I work full time and my job is all consuming. I barely have time to write. But I do pay for online advertising. Not sure how much blood you can squeeze out of me, but if you think you can. I'm a willing participant.

Offline MClayton

• Florida
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2017, 06:52:46 AM »
I'd love to participate. My books all fit into that category, with the possible exception of the first, which could also be classified as historical fiction. 

Offline Ryn Shell

• View Profile
    • Ryn Shell books
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2017, 07:05:11 AM »
I write of love, (crime, betrayal, resilience, coming-of-age, and love) but not romance.
I can relate well to stories by Jodi Picoult.
I have similar themes, but I don't class my work as Women's fiction, as it's not written for women, and my books are equally read and enjoyed by men. The work tends to be rural, rather than urban, and outdoors, rather than domestic.
So, while again I'd say I tell a mainstream or literary story, as I consider Jodie Picault does, and I enjoy good networking, I can't classify my work as women's fiction. But, keep me in mind. I have popular blogs (not book blogs) and consider reader interest submissions.
I ran historical fiction book promotions for a year, met some great authors while doing it and enjoyed the experience. I have considered doing it again, but right now I'm setting up a new, writing and art related creative business so it's not the best time for me to be heavily involved in the work aspect of a group promotion. Maybe once I have it set up I could be more involved. If you think my work fits in with yours, we might be able to work together.  :)

Creativity is timeless.
Ryn Shell | Website

Online KitSarge

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2017, 09:07:48 AM »
I have two full length Women's Fiction novels, a short story and a novella- What It Is is also with Kindle Scout- I'd love to be included!

Offline Piano Jenny

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2017, 09:20:56 AM »
I advertise myself as sweet romance, but have been told that Im not really romance, but more chick lit, which is a type of womens fiction. If youre looking to join forces with someone, Id be interested.

Professional Pianist and Author
Jennifer McCoy Blaske | Website

Online katie78

• Tucson, AZ
    • View Profile
    • Katie O'Rourke
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2017, 09:32:08 AM »
wow! it's great to see so many replies. i have a bus day, but will respond to everyone later!

Offline Laura Rae Amos

• Metro DC
    • View Profile
    • LauraRaeAmos.com
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2017, 10:45:36 AM »
If any of you write women's fic that leans more towards chick lit or rom com, there's a great Facebook group that I belong to: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ChickLitChatHQ/

The group has been around for years, and many of them are doing very well. (Better than me, lol!) It's chick lit though, so the focus is on very light, very funny stuff. There are some rom com and cozy mystery writers in there too. Sometimes I feel like some of my books are too heavy to fit in, but I hang around anyway because they're all very nice and helpful ladies (and a couple of men, actually!) and the discussions are good.

can you recommend any indies  in our genre?

I know many more chick lit indies than literary/women's fic. (Because of the above-mentioned group.) I know of writers who started out with indie women's lit, but changed genres and/or are now with publishers.

A couple of indies in women's lit that come to mind:

Kathryn R. Biel: https://www.amazon.com/Kathryn-R.-Biel/e/B00D4R755O
Celia Kennedy: https://www.amazon.com/Celia-Kennedy/e/B00AW5KEZO

And is Joanne Demaio still indie? https://www.amazon.com/Joanne-DeMaio/e/B0075WQ5NC For some reason, I don't think of her as an indie since I'm always seeing all of her books on the bestsellers lists, and at those prices too! But she lists herself as her publisher, so it looks like she is doing very well for herself! (I don't know her personally, but I'd love to have a chat with her about her methods! Looks like her method is to just write a LOT of books and really narrow in on her focus and branding. A good thing to aspire to.)

Online katie78

• Tucson, AZ
    • View Profile
    • Katie O'Rourke
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2017, 07:19:21 PM »
i think women's literary fiction may have a  romantic element, but it isn't necessary or generally the focus.

who here has a newsletter?

Online katie78

• Tucson, AZ
    • View Profile
    • Katie O'Rourke
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2017, 09:40:08 PM »
I write romance, but, I like to read the kind of books you write, OP, so I thought I'd let you know I just added Finding Charlie to my To Read in KU list. Good luck!
oh, cool! i hope you like it!

Online katie78

• Tucson, AZ
    • View Profile
    • Katie O'Rourke
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2017, 09:52:18 PM »
I write of love, (crime, betrayal, resilience, coming-of-age, and love) but not romance.
I can relate well to stories by Jodi Picoult.
I have similar themes, but I don't class my work as Women's fiction, as it's not written for women, and my books are equally read and enjoyed by men. The work tends to be rural, rather than urban, and outdoors, rather than domestic.
So, while again I'd say I tell a mainstream or literary story, as I consider Jodie Picault does, and I enjoy good networking, I can't classify my work as women's fiction. But, keep me in mind. I have popular blogs (not book blogs) and consider reader interest submissions.
I ran historical fiction book promotions for a year, met some great authors while doing it and enjoyed the experience. I have considered doing it again, but right now I'm setting up a new, writing and art related creative business so it's not the best time for me to be heavily involved in the work aspect of a group promotion. Maybe once I have it set up I could be more involved. If you think my work fits in with yours, we might be able to work together.  :)

genre is tricky. In one of my favorite reviews of Sue Miller, shes described as writing about families and marriages, infidelity and divorce what we call literary fiction when men write about those things.

i don't really think my writing appeals only to women and i find the term frustrating at times, but it mostly fits.

Offline MClayton

• Florida
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2017, 07:46:42 AM »
i think women's literary fiction may have a  romantic element, but it isn't necessary or generally the focus.

who here has a newsletter?

I have a newsletter under my publishing name (I also publish a handful of other authors). We have 560-something subscribers, which I realize is a drop in the bucket compared to some, but we have very little attrition, and good click- and open-rates. Do you also have a newsletter?

Online katie78

• Tucson, AZ
    • View Profile
    • Katie O'Rourke
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2017, 10:15:18 AM »
I have a newsletter under my publishing name (I also publish a handful of other authors). We have 560-something subscribers, which I realize is a drop in the bucket compared to some, but we have very little attrition, and good click- and open-rates. Do you also have a newsletter?

i do. i have a few different lists. my main list is about 500.

Online katie78

• Tucson, AZ
    • View Profile
    • Katie O'Rourke
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2017, 08:51:49 AM »
I have two full length Women's Fiction novels, a short story and a novella- What It Is is also with Kindle Scout- I'd love to be included!
i know you! welcome!

Online katie78

• Tucson, AZ
    • View Profile
    • Katie O'Rourke
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2017, 09:03:18 PM »
let's connect on twitter and fb.

Offline Piano Jenny

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2017, 05:35:56 AM »
I have a newsletter of about 1300.

Professional Pianist and Author
Jennifer McCoy Blaske | Website

Online katie78

• Tucson, AZ
    • View Profile
    • Katie O'Rourke
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2018, 03:48:25 PM »
I advertise myself as sweet romance, but have been told that Im not really romance, but more chick lit, which is a type of womens fiction. If youre looking to join forces with someone, Id be interested.
how sweet is your newsletter audience? i drop a few f-bombs.