Author Topic: Kindle Text to Speech Feature (and funny goofs)  (Read 206 times)  

Offline LynPerry

• Writer, Coffee Drinker, Cat Wrangler
    • View Profile
    • Lyndon Perry, Writer
Kindle Text to Speech Feature (and funny goofs)
« on: December 29, 2017, 11:42:13 AM »
I have an older model (Kindle 3.4.2 - is this considered a paperwhite? I'm clueless, lol, but enjoy not having a screen glare or backlight) and the text to speech feature was wigging out on me for awhile. Very slow to get started, long pauses between sentences, etc. A lot of times it happened when it was reading a document I'd sent to my device via email. But sometimes it happens to regular books. Anyone else experiencing some glitchiness? (It's now behaving better for whatever reason.)

Also, I chuckle at some of the text-to-speech flubs. When the text reads "c'mon" the kindle computer voice says, "see monday." Haha. What are some of the funny pronunciations you've come across?

I write, I teach, I drink coffee. And yes, I have a cat.
Lyndon Perry | website | facebook | twitter | free ebook

Offline Deskisamess

• View Profile
Re: Kindle Text to Speech Feature (and funny goofs)
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 09:57:03 AM »
That is the Kindle Keyboard, not a Paperwhite. Paperwhites have a built in front light, and don't have TTS, nor a mechanical keyboard.

I remember using TTS once in a book that had pound symbols between some paragraphs, ####. TTS read it as pound pound pound pound.

In another book, Pa was used for Papa/father. TTS read it as Pennsylvania.

Offline LynPerry

• Writer, Coffee Drinker, Cat Wrangler
    • View Profile
    • Lyndon Perry, Writer
Re: Kindle Text to Speech Feature (and funny goofs)
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 11:37:59 AM »
Okay, keyboard. Great. I never know what to refer to it as. Yes, it has those buttons, but I like them though navigating gets a bit tedious at times. And haha at the pound pound pound pound. Those are funny. I read scripture sometimes and the chapter and verses like Matthew 23:16 are often translated as 23 minutes, 16 seconds. LOL.

I write, I teach, I drink coffee. And yes, I have a cat.
Lyndon Perry | website | facebook | twitter | free ebook