mblart

Author Topic: My Books on Kobo that I have not uploaded  (Read 1265 times)  

Offline Blythe

• View Profile
My Books on Kobo that I have not uploaded
« on: December 29, 2017, 04:22:28 PM »
Cautious toe into Kboards water ... I'm shocked to see 10 of my books uploaded onto Kobo that I've not uploaded. Does anyone have any experience with this, or insights? I've had half a dozen books on Kobo for some months and was just about to upload more, when I see them already there. Some of the prices are not my prices, some of the "previews" are very odd and funky.
Thoughts, experience, suggestions, warmly accepted. I've sent an email to them, but in my experience, they take days to respond.

Thanks in advance.

Offline MClayton

• Florida
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: My Books on Kobo that I have not uploaded
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 04:36:27 PM »
Have you by any chance uploaded your books to Draft2Digital or Smashwords?

Offline andycat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 04:42:36 PM »
I haven't heard of this happening on Kobo (yet) but there was a big issue on iBooks back in May and again in the fall where pirates were taking things off Amazon and uploading them to iBooks. It happened to me twice. I filed a copyright violation claim each time and Apple was good about removing the books within 24-72 hours or so. If you're 100% sure you never uploaded these books to Kobo (either directly or through a distributor) then my guess is that's what happened. Kobo should have a way to file a copyright claim or contact their legal department. I wouldn't try to upload the books yourself until this resolved, and you might want to check iBooks as well. Sorry this is happening to you.  :(

Offline S. C.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 04:59:35 PM »
Check to see who is listed as the publisher, listed on the book's page and possibly also on the copyright page (which you can see in the sample preview). That could give you a clue as to who the publisher is. 

Translate Your Books! Earn More and Find New Markets.
S. C. Scott | Facebook

Offline Blythe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 06:44:33 PM »

M Clayton, Sorry, I have no idea how to respond to a comment, hoping this works, but seems strange. Anyway, No, none of these books are onD2D or Smashwords.

Offline Blythe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 07:03:01 PM »
Andycat, I haven't heard of this happening on Kobo (yet) but there was a big issue on iBooks back in May and again in the fall where pirates were taking things off Amazon and uploading them to iBooks. It happened to me twice. I filed a copyright violation claim each time and Apple was good about removing the books within 24-72 hours or so. If you're 100% sure you never uploaded these books to Kobo (either directly or through a distributor) then my guess is that's what happened. Kobo should have a way to file a copyright claim or contact their legal department. I wouldn't try to upload the books yourself until this resolved, and you might want to check iBooks as well. Sorry this is happening to you.  :(

Andycat, Though surprised to see this at Kobo, it looks like brazen theft. I have books on Kobo, but the books I'm referring to have never been uploaded to Kobo they are not even on my Kobo dashboard. But they *are* "out in the world" on Kobo. Indeed, I'll not upload them until there's clarity, and maybe never. I'm so sick of the pirating. It's just endless. Regarding iBooks, no, the opposite seems to prevail I can't for the life of me ever see all the books I have up on iTunes/iBooks. Was just about to turn my iBooks uploads over to D2D, (I uploaded my first book to D2D day before yesterday, pleased with how easy it was), but now, everything's a muddle. Thank you for you thoughtful answer and sharing your (unpleasant) experience.

Offline Blythe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 07:08:57 PM »
Check to see who is listed as the publisher, listed on the book's page and possibly also on the copyright page (which you can see in the sample preview). That could give you a clue as to who the publisher is. 

S.C.,The books are taken, whole and complete. They show my publisher info. They are my original files, although sort of crummy and muddled.

Offline S. C.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 08:16:55 PM »
Sorry, I should have explained better...

I had the same thing happen to me with one of my books recently. It turned out that I had uploaded my book onto a certain site (for a valid reason) and that platform turned around and published my book everywhere without my permission.  It was my file, of course, which made it all the more puzzling.  I knew that I didn't upload it.

I saw my book on Kobo, Google etc.  Then I noticed the platform name showing up in the metadata and was able to trace it back there. I was shocked that they did this because I never gave them permission to sell it. The person there gave me some lame response such as "why do you care, you get a percentage so you're making money when we sell it." Well, I cared a lot because I already had my book on those platforms and it messed with my pricing and gave me a potential price-matching nightmare. I won't name the platform here but needless to say I won't deal with them anymore.  I thought your situation could be something similar.

Translate Your Books! Earn More and Find New Markets.
S. C. Scott | Facebook

Online TobiasRoote

• Greece
    • View Profile
    • Tobias Roote Books
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 12:06:01 AM »
I won't name the platform here but needless to say I won't deal with them anymore. 

You 'should' name them (here or on your own thread). That practice is completely underhand and others could benefit from knowing.

Tobias Roote | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
  • If you want real love, buy a dog.
    • View Profile
    • Margaret Brazear Author
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 12:15:13 AM »

M Clayton, Sorry, I have no idea how to respond to a comment, hoping this works, but seems strange. Anyway, No, none of these books are onD2D or Smashwords.
Before you reply to a post, click on the 'quote' at the top right hand corner of that post. This will copy the post into your reply, as I have done here.

Are we talking about an e-book or a paperback version? If you published a print version via createspace, it will appear on the other channels.

Are you listed as the author on Kobo?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 12:16:52 AM by Doglover »

The past is another country; they do things differently there
Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Readers Group | Newsletter

Offline Blythe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 11:51:46 AM »
Before you reply to a post, click on the 'quote' at the top right hand corner of that post. This will copy the post into your reply, as I have done here.

Are we talking about an e-book or a paperback version? If you published a print version via createspace, it will appear on the other channels.

Are you listed as the author on Kobo?

Doglover, thank you for the initiation re. replies. :D  It's Kobo, therefore, ebook. A lot of ebooks. 10 books I never uploaded, and also (I didn't mention this before to keep my first foray here streamlined) multiple uploads of the books I have uploaded, some with different weird prices (ex.: $5.29, that I have never, ever done with any book, anywhere, on any platform). Yes, I am the sole author, and the listed author.

Offline Blythe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2017, 11:58:40 AM »
You 'should' name them (here or on your own thread). That practice is completely underhand and others could benefit from knowing.

Agreed. And thank you.

Offline Blythe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2017, 12:00:22 PM »
Sorry, I should have explained better...

I had the same thing happen to me with one of my books recently. It turned out that I had uploaded my book onto a certain site (for a valid reason) and that platform turned around and published my book everywhere without my permission.  It was my file, of course, which made it all the more puzzling.  I knew that I didn't upload it.

I saw my book on Kobo, Google etc.  Then I noticed the platform name showing up in the metadata and was able to trace it back there. I was shocked that they did this because I never gave them permission to sell it. The person there gave me some lame response such as "why do you care, you get a percentage so you're making money when we sell it." Well, I cared a lot because I already had my book on those platforms and it messed with my pricing and gave me a potential price-matching nightmare. I won't name the platform here but needless to say I won't deal with them anymore.  I thought your situation could be something similar.

S.C., Verrrry interesting. Yes, I agree with you completely. I'd prefer to be uploading my books, or choosing who is, and know where they are, regardless of the percentage I may make, for the very reasons you express. Agreeing with Tobias Roote about "fingering" them. If you're not going to have anything to do with them, might you not share with others so we can be apprised, and, perhaps, take appropriate action?

Platform metadata...hmmm, as the books are not on my Kobo dashboard, I don't see how I can access that info. In any case, I believe my situation is different, as 10 of my books are appearing when I input my name and Kobo on a search, but those books have not been uploaded by me onto Kobo.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 01:44:44 PM by Blythe »

Offline MClayton

• Florida
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2017, 12:03:34 PM »
Doglover, thank you for the initiation re. replies. :D  It's Kobo, therefore, ebook. A lot of ebooks. 10 books I never uploaded, and also (I didn't mention this before to keep my first foray here streamlined) multiple uploads of the books I have uploaded, some with different weird prices (ex.: $5.29, that I have never, ever done with any book, anywhere, on any platform). Yes, I am the sole author, and the listed author.

Okay, that's scary. I feel as if I should go check mine, but I don't think I have the energy.  :o

Offline Blythe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2017, 12:27:01 PM »
Okay, that's scary. I feel as if I should go check mine, but I don't think I have the energy.  :o

Gather courage, dear MClayton. You need to be on top of this if it affects you. I think piracy is just ... wildly rampant. Even Marie Force has been saying interesting things. We need to be awake.

Offline Speaker-To-Animals

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2017, 01:01:11 PM »
Keep in mind that if it's on Kobo, it's probably on a few hundred thousand other tiny sites. They distribute. Widely.

Online Marty South

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2017, 01:05:00 PM »
Keep in mind that if it's on Kobo, it's probably on a few hundred thousand other tiny sites. They distribute. Widely.

Exactly.

For what it's worth, over the last decade or so, Kobo has been involved in a number of acquisitions and partnerships. From what I gleaned from my 5-minute internet research, Indigo used to own it, then sold it to Rakuten, which now owns it. Over the past decade or so, Kobo (or its owner at the time) has bought out or partnered with some or all of the following online ebook stores. So it's possible and legitimate to find uploaded Kobo ebooks in other stores. Before panicking, I would check to see if the non-Kobo sites your books are in are affiliated with Kobo.

Rakuten
Kobo
Indigo
Chapters
Borders
Waterstones
Sony Reader Store
Coles
IndigoSpirit
SmithBooks
The Book Company
Cheung Kong Holdings
W H Smith
Whitcoulls
FNAC
Livraria Cultura

Offline Ellie Lynn

• Contemporary and Historical Romance Author
    • View Profile
    • Ellie Lynn
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2017, 01:20:55 PM »
Tiny little wondering if something brewing there touches upon Mark's sudden departure from Kobo (cautious to say that, but)....

Having met the man on numerous occasions, I highly doubt Mark had anything to do with books being uploaded without author permission. He's a huge advocate for self published authors as well as an author in his own right.

Have you contacted Kobo? They can probably shed some light on what happened.

Ginnie's Story-Calico 3 (working title): 35%
Ellie Lynn | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Blythe

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2017, 02:08:39 PM »
Having met the man on numerous occasions, I highly doubt Mark had anything to do with books being uploaded without author permission. He's a huge advocate for self published authors as well as an author in his own right.

Have you contacted Kobo? They can probably shed some light on what happened.

Oh no, Ellie! To my point, I too know Mark, and basically think he walks on water. (I took down that comment even before reading yours as I was not comfortable "conjuring" him up.) But, anyway, that was my point, that he is scrupulous, and if there was even a whiff of shenanigans, he would not have it.

I am now "listening" to Marty South, and am checking everything everywhere. I'm far from "panicking" I've discovered my books pirated all over the world, as well as my art, and even on Amazon (which Amazon is fantastic about removing copyright infringement immediately. Remove first, questions later). I occasionally insist on a take down from these nefarious international sites. Books down for a few days or weeks, and then back up again. Anyway, I'd rather be writing. It's a leaky boat. Throw out a bucket of water on occasion, but mostly, I enjoy the ride.

Yes, as I mentioned upstream, I first wrote Kobo. Got an auto respond that I'll hear back after Jan 2, as I expected. I think Marty makes a good point, and I will poke around to see what's what. I know I haven't uploaded these books to Kobo, but Marty has given me an "a-ha!" around my having put my books up on Ingram. As there's no (and I mean NO) ebook activity with them, though quite satisfactory physical books sales, the thought entirely eluded me. I'm hoping that's the answer.

In any case, I've been touched and pleased with the intelligent and sensitive responses from everyone here. Thank you kindly.

Offline Blythe

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2017, 02:12:58 PM »

Yes, you and Marty have made me realize it's probably my new relationship with Ingram. As I said, I've not put the books up on Kobo, but I did on Ingram, and so, apparently, that means redundant appearance on Kobo, too. (Hoping this is the result.)  Thank you, Speaker-to-Animals.

Offline Ellie Lynn

• Contemporary and Historical Romance Author
    • View Profile
    • Ellie Lynn
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2017, 02:19:36 PM »
Oh no, Ellie! To my point, I too know Mark, and basically think he walks on water. (I took down that comment even before reading yours as I was not comfortable "conjuring" him up.) But, anyway, that was my point, that he is scrupulous, and if there was even a whiff of shenanigans, he would not have it.

I am now "listening" to Marty South, and am checking everything everywhere. I'm far from "panicking" I've discovered my books pirated all over the world, as well as my art, and even on Amazon (which Amazon is fantastic about removing copyright infringement immediately. Remove first, questions later). I occasionally insist on a take down from these nefarious international sites. Books down for a few days or weeks, and then back up again. Anyway, I'd rather be writing. It's a leaky boat. Throw out a bucket of water on occasion, but mostly, I enjoy the ride.

Yes, as I mentioned upstream, I first wrote Kobo. Got an auto respond that I'll hear back after Jan 2, as I expected. I think Marty makes a good point, and I will poke around to see what's what. I know I haven't uploaded these books to Kobo, but Marty has given me an "a-ha!" around my having put my books up on Ingram. As there's no (and I mean NO) ebook activity with them, though quite satisfactory physical books sales, the thought entirely eluded me. I'm hoping that's the answer.

In any case, I've been touched and pleased with the intelligent and sensitive responses from everyone here. Thank you kindly.

Ah, I see what you're saying. Glad you clarified--text messages can get misconstrued all the time-- I really DO hope you get some answers soon. I'd be horrified if my books were posted and someone else collected the fees for my hard work (even if they aren't selling right now). I do know that Ingram distributes to Kobo, so that may well be where your books came from. Good luck! Keep us posted!

Ginnie's Story-Calico 3 (working title): 35%
Ellie Lynn | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Blythe

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2017, 02:20:10 PM »
Exactly.

For what it's worth, over the last decade or so, Kobo has been involved in a number of acquisitions and partnerships. From what I gleaned from my 5-minute internet research, Indigo used to own it, then sold it to Rakuten, which now owns it. Over the past decade or so, Kobo (or its owner at the time) has bought out or partnered with some or all of the following online ebook stores. So it's possible and legitimate to find uploaded Kobo ebooks in other stores. Before panicking, I would check to see if the non-Kobo sites your books are in are affiliated with Kobo.

Rakuten
Kobo
Indigo
Chapters
Borders
Waterstones
Sony Reader Store
Coles
IndigoSpirit
SmithBooks
The Book Company
Cheung Kong Holdings
W H Smith
Whitcoulls
FNAC
Livraria Cultura

Thank you, Marty for this insightful list. As I've mentioned, I didn't put the books up on Kobo, but I did on Ingram, and I'm now thinking that it has the same result, and that's why books I've not uploaded onto Kobo's platform are listed on Kobo when doing a search, though they are not on my Kobo dashboard.

Thanks again!

Offline Blythe

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2017, 02:25:18 PM »
Ah, I see what you're saying. Glad you clarified--text messages can get misconstrued all the time-- I really DO hope you get some answers soon. I'd be horrified if my books were posted and someone else collected the fees for my hard work (even if they aren't selling right now). I do know that Ingram distributes to Kobo, so that may well be where your books came from. Good luck! Keep us posted!

I will!  :D

Offline MClayton

• Florida
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2017, 02:27:55 PM »
Yes, you and Marty have made me realize it's probably my new relationship with Ingram. As I said, I've not put the books up on Kobo, but I did on Ingram, and so, apparently, that means redundant appearance on Kobo, too. (Hoping this is the result.)  Thank you, Speaker-to-Animals.

I think that's it. This is a list of all the places Ingram puts your ebook (and Kobo is included): http://www.ingramspark.com/plan-your-book/ebooks/online-retail-partners

Very good to know, actually. I have paperbacks through IngramSpark, but not ebooks - and wouldn't want redundant listings.

Edit to add:  And they need to update their list. AllRomance went kaput a year or so ago.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 02:30:06 PM by MClayton »

Offline Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
  • If you want real love, buy a dog.
    • View Profile
    • Margaret Brazear Author
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2017, 10:40:41 PM »
Gather courage, dear MClayton. You need to be on top of this if it affects you. I think piracy is just ... wildly rampant. Even Marie Force has been saying interesting things. We need to be awake.
If the books have your name as the author/publisher, are you getting paid? If not, you should contact Kobo and ask them to take your books down.

The past is another country; they do things differently there
Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Readers Group | Newsletter

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac