Author Topic: How Long Do Your Kindle Ereaders Last?  (Read 5252 times)  

Offline NedMarcus

• View Profile
How Long Do Your Kindle Ereaders Last?
« on: December 31, 2017, 03:50:27 PM »
How long do your kindle ereaders last? Mine seem to start going strange after about 2 years. Is that normal?

Ned Marcus | website | facebook

Online Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
Re: How Long Do Your Kindle Ereaders Last?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 04:13:28 PM »
I've not had a Kindle go bad....

How do you carry them when you take them out into the wild?

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline NedMarcus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 04:18:34 PM »
In a backpack, but I try to look after them. I read about 3 hours a day.

Online ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 04:20:14 PM »
Mine are all still corking along so far as I know (gave away K1, donated PW, traded Voyage to Amazon). The only older one I still have myself is a Kindle Keyboard, and it works fine.

Online Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 04:26:45 PM »
They could be getting jostled too much in the backpack.  What kind of problems are you having?

Betsy

Online Betsy the Quilter

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 04:27:52 PM »
Or, they could be getting too full.  How many books do you keep on them?

Betsy

Offline NedMarcus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 04:36:50 PM »
With the keyboard one I had years ago the battery died. With the paper white I bought about 2 years ago, it's getting slow. When I go to my library it takes several seconds, and when I scroll through the pages of the library, it takes about 10 seconds per page.

I have maybe 400+ books on it. Do you think that might be the problem?

Offline KimberlyinMN

• NW Minnesota
  • Kindle Voyage Wi-Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 04:46:38 PM »
I've only had one go bad right before 3 years. It wouldn't take a charge. Thankfully I had bought a 3-year Square Trade warranty so I was able to get a full refund. Other than that, my Kindles have all worked fine.

Offline KimberlyinMN

• NW Minnesota
  • Kindle Voyage Wi-Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 04:49:18 PM »
I'd suggest doing a full reset to see if that fixes the slow down. Then only put some of your books on it? Or maybe it's having a problem indexing one of the last books you put on it? (So try removing the last 2-5 books to see if that speeds things up before trying a full reset!!)

With the keyboard one I had years ago the battery died. With the paper white I bought about 2 years ago, it's getting slow. When I go to my library it takes several seconds, and when I scroll through the pages of the library, it takes about 10 seconds per page.

Offline M R Mortimer

• Australia
  • SF writer
    • View Profile
    • Suspended Earth - Official site of M R Mortimer
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 08:31:53 PM »
I'm still rumbling along with my kindle keyboard. Never saw a need to replace it, and it still does its thing happily enough. Had it forever and a day. I had it stop charging a few months in but after I asked amazon about it and they replaced it no questions asked, I found out the cables I had (three of them) were all shot to hell and the unit was fine. Oh well, live and learn.
Novels available now:
|

Australian Science Fiction and Fantasy Author
M R Mortimer | Author Web Site Facebook Page | Twitter Page | Fantasy Series

Online Betsy the Quilter

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 09:12:33 PM »

What Kimberly said.  You may find doing a reset refreshes the speed.

Betsy

Offline Tuttle

• Lancre
  • The Turtle Moves
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 09:29:49 PM »
I got my k2 in May 2009, between then and December 2014 I needed to replace the battery once because it wouldn't hold a charge for a reasonable length of time. It was still working fine in 2014, but I wanted to upgrade to the voyage anyways and got it for Christmas that year :). I've had my voyage since they became available and have had no issues with it,
Everything is magic when you dont know what it is. Your sliding rule is a magic wand to most people. - Raising Steam

Voyage - Brutha
K2 - Dr Worblehat

Offline NedMarcus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2018, 03:30:14 AM »
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll try the reset (once I've worked out how to do that  :)).

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2018, 06:09:56 AM »
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll try the reset (once I've worked out how to do that  :)).

You want to do a RESTART first, and see if that works: menu/settings/menu/restart.

This'll clear out any stray bits and bytes. It is definitely the case that the more books you have, or the more collections/things in collections, the slower the response will be. Fortunately, while it affects selecting and otherwise manipulating books or collections, it doesn't affect it at all when actually reading.

If the restart doesn't work, there is an option to reset to factory conditions. This will basically remove everything from your device and deregister it. You'll have to re-enter wifi credentials etc. and basically set the device up again from scratch.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline northofdivision

• Chicago
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2018, 03:59:53 PM »
K2 works but it seems slow to me. K3 since the Fall of 2010 works like a champ and my K5 still going strong since 2011. My first Paperwhite died after five years. Voyage, Oasis 6" still going strong.
Stanley
=====
Blackberry KeyOne, Ipad Air2
Kindle 2,3G,4,PW2, Voyage, Oasis
Kobo HD Glo, Kobo Aura One 8", Sony 5" PRS-350 w/multi-font/Zork hack

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline HappyGuy

• Central FL
  • With God, nothing is enough for anything.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2018, 05:14:27 AM »
Maybe Amazon subcontracts to Apple for their devices. Hahahaha :o
"From the lips of infants and children you have ordained praise..." Psalms 8:2

Member 342

Offline rallykid

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2018, 07:03:56 AM »
Got the wife a Kindle Keyboard as soon as they launched in August 2010 and it is still going strong. She ended up buying one for me a month later and it has gotten a LOT of use as I am an avid reader. Mine got replaced a couple of months ago only for the fact that I needed something lighted and wanted something smaller for backpacking and motorcycle camping trips. When you are trying to pack a weeks worth of gear, clothes, food, tent, sleeping bag, mattress and all of the associated camping gear onto an R series Yamaha Sportbike then every millimeter of storage space counts. The battery is getting a little weak in my keyboard as it has been used so much but hers still has the same battery life as new. I may pick her up a Paperwhite and pass the keyboard versions along to the kids at some point. The oldest is 7 and starting to pick up my love for reading and the 5 year old is showing the same desire for books.

Offline Pierrep99

• N Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2018, 02:34:00 PM »
Mine lasts until Amazon releases a new model...

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2018, 02:44:43 PM »
I've never had one just fail on me with no explanation. I have had ones two different times that started acting funny but they were under warranty and Amazon replaced them without arguing much. My brother still regularly uses a DX model that was purchased in 2009. That's the oldest kindle on my account, not because others stopped working, but because I got new ones and either sold them back to amazon or sold or gave them to someone else off my account.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline NedMarcus

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2018, 03:42:42 PM »
Maybe Amazon subcontracts to Apple for their devices. Hahahaha :o

That would explain it  >:(

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2018, 04:00:18 PM »
Mine lasts until Amazon releases a new model...
;D. That's the attitude.

Seriously though all my kindles still work and work fairly well. Even my K1 which I had since 2008. Now mind you, with the sd card in, it used to take a full 8 minutes to do a search when I had like 2000 books on it. But that was always that way.

I do think after a few years they might benefit from some cobweb cleaning. The search and index files get large. So if you can and are willing, a total factory reset might be in order. Often when calling customer service they want you to do that most often. Just beware that the books on it will have to be downloaded again.

I think though I only had to reset my first paperwhite like that. That one was a bother from the moment I got it. Never liked that thing. Then they got the cloud collections and it was over from there. I bought a different kindle then, the basic. Till I got the Voyage and then both Oasisess. Oassises? Oasis'??????????

I haven't killed a kindle yet.  :P

Member since 11/20/2008  | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline ThomasDiehl

• MGladbach, Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2018, 01:46:54 AM »
I had to look it up. 5th generation Kindle bought in late 2012, still going strong.
No touchscreen, no light, just the way I want it.
All Hail the King series: 4%

How the Rain Gets In: 21%
English Blog | German Blog

Offline Jodi O

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2018, 04:21:48 PM »
I still have a K3 that works, though it became impossibly slow navigating my large library. I have used my PW3 for 2 years now with about 1,000 books on it. It occasionally gets bogged down and appreciates a restart.

Offline jobo132435

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2018, 05:34:29 AM »
The answer to the question is it depends on usage, all the components are tested and guaranteed for so many cycles or hours of use, and once you exceed that, they will most likely soon lose efficiency or just stop working.

Think its fair to say that Amazon haven't used d the best quality components, certainly the battery, sound card/ speaker, screen and cpu are substandard when compared to high end devices.

The more you use them or the harder you use them the sooner they will reach the point of unreliability. If you use them mostly for low resource tasks like book reading, then you should get many years out of them, if you are constantly playing vids or music, then the screen will loose resolution, the cpu will lose efficiency and the sound card may pack up in not that long .

Batteries are temperamental, they can quickly loose efficiency and not give the required voltage, though still maintaining a charge, that will slow everything down. It's much better for battery life if you avoid leaving them on charge for hours/ days and do not make a habit of running them to flat

Offline NedMarcus

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2018, 04:44:47 PM »
I only use my kindle for readingnothing else. Looks like I've had bad luck with them.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2018, 02:28:12 AM »
All of my e-ink kindles are still functional. I charge the old ones occasionally just to make sure. My oldest one - the original kindle will be 10 this year.
I am amazed at the changes in the screen technology over that time.

Offline NedMarcus

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2018, 05:48:22 PM »
So it's only me  :(

Offline bordercollielady

• Westminster, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2018, 05:30:59 AM »
I have been noticing that my Voyage battery was needing to be charged too often.  Then I turned on Airplane mode.  I think the reader goes out to Goodreads, etc if you have Airplane turned off which uses up a charge.  It is much better now - altho I decided to trade it in for the new Oasis.

Offline jobo132435

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2018, 06:33:40 AM »
I have been noticing that my Voyage battery was needing to be charged too often.  Then I turned on Airplane mode.  I think the reader goes out to Goodreads, etc if you have Airplane turned off which uses up a charge.  It is much better now - altho I decided to trade it in for the new Oasis.

I think the batteries are a bit underspected for them to be honest, but then they are for the vast majority of devices, they keep making them smaller and lighter and cheaper and something has to give.

Your right about airplane mode, it will make a notable. Difference to battery life, but every thing you have turned on runs down the battery, even having auto rotate enabled bites in to battery life. Particularly you have to watch the number of apps running in the back ground, which seems t be most of them, even the kindle installed apps are buzzing away taking charge, for no good reason, even more so if you have a,selection of self installed apps, and more so again if these are side loaded or google apps. If you let it get out of control the thing can go flat in a couple of hours with out use

Offline Fogeydc

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2018, 07:59:47 AM »
I think the batteries are a bit underspected for them to be honest, but then they are for the vast majority of devices, they keep making them smaller and lighter and cheaper and something has to give.

Your right about airplane mode, it will make a notable. Difference to battery life, but every thing you have turned on runs down the battery, even having auto rotate enabled bites in to battery life. Particularly you have to watch the number of apps running in the back ground, which seems t be most of them, even the kindle installed apps are buzzing away taking charge, for no good reason, even more so if you have a,selection of self installed apps, and more so again if these are side loaded or google apps. If you let it get out of control the thing can go flat in a couple of hours with out use

What apps?
e-readers don't have any apps, unless you mean the older ones that had active content (games).

Offline bordercollielady

• Westminster, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2018, 09:04:28 AM »
What apps?
e-readers don't have any apps, unless you mean the older ones that had active content (games).

Maybe he is talking about using the Kindle app on a smartphone or tablet?   

Offline geezergas

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2018, 05:34:03 PM »
Bought my DX early on, still read @ 120 books a year, on the 2nd battery.

Offline bordercollielady

• Westminster, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2018, 10:09:11 AM »
I agree with others that my problems were about the battery.. they stopped holding a charge.  I always wished that Amazon supported replaceable batteries. 

Offline NedMarcus

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2018, 05:22:52 PM »
I agree with others that my problems were about the battery.. they stopped holding a charge.  I always wished that Amazon supported replaceable batteries.

+1

Offline geezergas

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2018, 01:53:12 PM »
+1
  Google Kindle Batteries, pages of them.  Changed the one in my DX in 1/2 a hour.  U Tube directions.  Easy

Offline NedMarcus

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2018, 03:44:22 AM »
  Google Kindle Batteries, pages of them.  Changed the one in my DX in 1/2 a hour.  U Tube directions.  Easy

Thanks. I didn't know it was possible. It's too late for my last kindle, but if there's a next time I'll do that.

Offline HLS

• MO
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2018, 08:14:11 PM »
I always upgrade. I never kept a kindle for more than 2 years
I own a 7" Oasis, Nook  Plus and a Nook Glowlight 3, iPad, Fire Tablets, 8 inch AZUS

Offline patrickt

• Oaxaca, Mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2018, 05:25:51 AM »
I always upgrade. I never kept a kindle for more than 2 years

Me, too. Right now I have two Paperwhites. I tried a Voyage and gave it to a college student. Tried an Oasis 2 but when I was notified the protective cover wouldn't be available for two months I sent the Oasis 2 back. But, I've always moved to a new Kindle before the old one died.

One other comment. I'm a born klutz. If I wanted to replace a battery in my Paperwhite, I would probably take it to a cell phone repair shop. I know some people who have gone to a training program for repairing cell phones and they'd do great with Kindles, too. Me? I'm a klutz.

Offline RichardLoweJr

• Safety Harbor, FL
  • Ghostwriter, author, blogger & LinkedIn Branding
    • View Profile
    • The Writing King
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2018, 07:13:35 AM »
I've had my Kindle for about 4 years now with absolutely no problems at all. I keep it in a padded case when I travel, and have it plugged into the wall whenever I'm not using it.

Author, Ghostwriter, Blogger, LinkedIn Branding Expert
Richard Lowe Jr | Blog | LinkedIn | Facebook | Amazon

Offline WDR

• Massachusetts
  • To boldly split infinitives
    • View Profile
    • Official Website of William D. Richards
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2018, 06:40:00 PM »
I bought my Kindle PageWhite when they first came out. My Nook Simpletouch was the first sold in New England and is my oldest ebook reader. My Kobo was bought not long after the SimpleTouch.

Overall, the Kindle is still going strong but the battery life is beginning to fade. The Nook is losing its battery and doesn't last long enough to read one book. The Kobo seems to be doing well enough already, but it is also showing the battery is aging. The kobo is the one I usually take with me when I go camping, so it has seen more active service than the other two.

The functionality of each seems to be alright. The only issue I have as noted above is the batteries seem to be fading after about six years of use.
Aggadeh Chronicles Book 3: Oracle: 11%
William D. Richards | Official Website | A Writer's Chronicles | Patreon

Offline tsemple

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2018, 10:58:17 PM »
I just bought a replacement battery for my Kindle (1st generation), will arrive in a couple of days. It still works okay but for some reason cannot connect to Kindle Store. The only Kindle with a user-replaceable battery and SD slot.

I am somewhat skeptical that the replacement battery will be in great health (do they even still manufacture them?) but am hoping it might somehow fix the connect to Amazon problem. Amazon promised free (3G) wireless for the life of the device. Well, it is still alive! Will they give me a free Oasis in compensation?

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2018, 05:54:55 AM »
I just bought a replacement battery for my Kindle (1st generation), will arrive in a couple of days. It still works okay but for some reason cannot connect to Kindle Store. The only Kindle with a user-replaceable battery and SD slot.

I am somewhat skeptical that the replacement battery will be in great health (do they even still manufacture them?) but am hoping it might somehow fix the connect to Amazon problem. Amazon promised free (3G) wireless for the life of the device. Well, it is still alive! Will they give me a free Oasis in compensation?

Did you do the update last year(? maybe longer ago than that) that was required for the older devices to still connect?  I had to pull all of mine out and update them.  I guess now you'd have to download the file and do it manually.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200529680

Offline Jamski

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2018, 07:55:14 AM »
My Kindle 3 finally suffered a terminal issue...the right button on the 5 way no longer functions. I had already replaced the screen and was prepared to change the battery as well, but to lost a directional...not good nor easily replaced. Found a Touch at a bargain price and snagged it. The 3 I will keep next to my bed for night time reading.

Offline CaptnAndy

• Folsom, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2018, 10:37:35 AM »
I bought my first Kindle in 2012 to verify my first book looked correct. Wife took it over and used it till 2015, when the battery died. I bought a $37 replacement, watched all the U-Tubes on how to replace it, and broke the screen when I tried to open it up. I bought a new Kindle for less the cost to get the sreen replacement. That one is still going strong. Wife still reads from it & plays Kandy Crush while she watches TV.

A.G. Kimbrough, An Author/Publisher of Historical Fiction and Hard Science Fiction
A.G. Kimbrough

Offline tsemple

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2018, 12:58:31 PM »
I just got a new battery for my very old Kindle gen 1 (bought on eBay a few years ago for $20). Battery was $20 through an Amazon seller, and seems to be in good health (despite my concern that it might be past its shelf life). Note K1 has replaceable battery by design, as well as an SD slot (the last such Kindle). Now I just need to figure out why it doesnt connect to Kindle Store. Im hoping (without much justification) that the new battery will help (I have to travel to where there is cell coverage for Sprint). At any rate it is fun to pull it out and use it, and will be more fun now that it holds a charge.

Offline John F

• Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2018, 03:51:07 AM »
My Paperwhite (2nd generation) is nearly 5 years old and as good as new. Having a good cover may be one reason why.
John

Offline tsemple

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2018, 10:28:36 AM »
Did you do the update last year(? maybe longer ago than that) that was required for the older devices to still connect?  I had to pull all of mine out and update them.  I guess now you'd have to download the file and do it manually.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200529680

Yes, I did the update; that is not the problem. It connects to the cellular network, strong signal, but wont load Kindle Store. 

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2018, 05:16:37 PM »
Yes, I did the update; that is not the problem. It connects to the cellular network, strong signal, but wont load Kindle Store. 
My K1 is a bit iffy at this point too with connecting to the store. Seems if I send stuff to it it works better than actually trying to pull it from the device itself. I don't really use it anymore, but I like to charge it up every month and turn it on just to see if it still can call home. I have not been able to get library books on it though via overdrive. But sending stuff to it from the computer works fine. Mine has all the updates, but something is not quite connecting all the way anymore.

Member since 11/20/2008  | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline jb1111

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2018, 07:30:52 PM »
Kindle Fire, purchased in 2012 or 2013, still chugging. Not full f books yet, so it doesn't have memory issues.

I don't keep the wi-fi on much to save on battery life. A full battery will sometimes last weeks if I am not using it much. Only turn wi-fi on when needed.

It's only wigged on me 2-3 times, when it needed a reset. It still gets the job done.

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2018, 02:06:58 PM »
My 2010 K3 continues to work flawlessly and holds a charge well.  The Oberon case is also in perfect condition.

As others have commented, it is easy to replace batteries in a GPS, cell phone, Kindles, etc. with the proper tool(s) and instructions.  I have replaced a number of batteries in such devices.

Offline NedMarcus

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2018, 07:05:59 AM »
Just to notemy second kindle, which was going strange, seems to have recovered.

Offline FF

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2018, 04:47:02 PM »
I only have the one that came out in 2010 or 2011 (gen 4?) when it was the latest, but not the Touch. It still works great, but regretfully, I rarely use it because of having to fiddle with the annoying joy buttons, especially when typing or scrolling through the settings. I prefer Touch technology. So, I've been using the Kindle app on my phone for now and have grown adapted to it. Now, I miss using an e-reader, so I may still consider the Paperwhite (I don't need the most expensive one). It looks so cool. I'm not against not having any illumination, but it probably does beat having to get a book light, and my room lamp is too far. I'm just not sure if the e-ink quality lowers slightly because of the added illumination, if it's even noticeable, but I haven't done enough research yet to find out.

I see others here have reported long-lasting older Kindles, and that's reassuring to know. I've only ever had my one Kindle. :)

Offline Glen Robins

• San Francisco Bay Area
    • View Profile
    • Glen Robins Books
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2018, 11:04:04 PM »
I've had my Kindle for nearly 3-1/2 years. Never had a problem. I keep about 15 books on there and only have a limited number of apps, most of which I could delete because I never use them. I spend probably about 2 hours a day reading.
I'm inspired by RallyKid - he takes his on backpacking trips?!? I'm glad to hear there's a fellow backpacker here in the group. Do you have a special waterproof storage case? Or how to protect it from water? And how do you recharge it? Or does your battery hold out for the whole week by shutting down between uses?
My problem is, I'm usually too tired from hiking all day to do much reading. Last trip, I was averaging 22 miles a day with lots of elevation gain, so I got about 5 minutes of reading done on my phone before falling asleep.
Chosen Path: 20%
Glen Robins | Blog | Facebook page | Goodreads | Twitter | LinkedIn | BookBub