Author Topic: How Long Do Your Kindle Ereaders Last?  (Read 2157 times)  

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
Re: How Long Do Your Kindle Ereaders Last?
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2018, 02:28:12 AM »
All of my e-ink kindles are still functional. I charge the old ones occasionally just to make sure. My oldest one - the original kindle will be 10 this year.
I am amazed at the changes in the screen technology over that time.

Offline NedMarcus

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2018, 05:48:22 PM »
So it's only me  :(

Ned Marcus | website | facebook

Offline bordercollielady

• Westminster, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2018, 05:30:59 AM »
I have been noticing that my Voyage battery was needing to be charged too often.  Then I turned on Airplane mode.  I think the reader goes out to Goodreads, etc if you have Airplane turned off which uses up a charge.  It is much better now - altho I decided to trade it in for the new Oasis.

Offline jobo132435

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2018, 06:33:40 AM »
I have been noticing that my Voyage battery was needing to be charged too often.  Then I turned on Airplane mode.  I think the reader goes out to Goodreads, etc if you have Airplane turned off which uses up a charge.  It is much better now - altho I decided to trade it in for the new Oasis.

I think the batteries are a bit underspected for them to be honest, but then they are for the vast majority of devices, they keep making them smaller and lighter and cheaper and something has to give.

Your right about airplane mode, it will make a notable. Difference to battery life, but every thing you have turned on runs down the battery, even having auto rotate enabled bites in to battery life. Particularly you have to watch the number of apps running in the back ground, which seems t be most of them, even the kindle installed apps are buzzing away taking charge, for no good reason, even more so if you have a,selection of self installed apps, and more so again if these are side loaded or google apps. If you let it get out of control the thing can go flat in a couple of hours with out use

Offline Fogeydc

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2018, 07:59:47 AM »
I think the batteries are a bit underspected for them to be honest, but then they are for the vast majority of devices, they keep making them smaller and lighter and cheaper and something has to give.

Your right about airplane mode, it will make a notable. Difference to battery life, but every thing you have turned on runs down the battery, even having auto rotate enabled bites in to battery life. Particularly you have to watch the number of apps running in the back ground, which seems t be most of them, even the kindle installed apps are buzzing away taking charge, for no good reason, even more so if you have a,selection of self installed apps, and more so again if these are side loaded or google apps. If you let it get out of control the thing can go flat in a couple of hours with out use

What apps?
e-readers don't have any apps, unless you mean the older ones that had active content (games).

Offline bordercollielady

• Westminster, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2018, 09:04:28 AM »
What apps?
e-readers don't have any apps, unless you mean the older ones that had active content (games).

Maybe he is talking about using the Kindle app on a smartphone or tablet?   

Offline geezergas

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2018, 05:34:03 PM »
Bought my DX early on, still read @ 120 books a year, on the 2nd battery.

Offline bordercollielady

• Westminster, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2018, 10:09:11 AM »
I agree with others that my problems were about the battery.. they stopped holding a charge.  I always wished that Amazon supported replaceable batteries. 

Offline NedMarcus

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2018, 05:22:52 PM »
I agree with others that my problems were about the battery.. they stopped holding a charge.  I always wished that Amazon supported replaceable batteries.

+1

Offline geezergas

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2018, 01:53:12 PM »
+1
  Google Kindle Batteries, pages of them.  Changed the one in my DX in 1/2 a hour.  U Tube directions.  Easy

Offline NedMarcus

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2018, 03:44:22 AM »
  Google Kindle Batteries, pages of them.  Changed the one in my DX in 1/2 a hour.  U Tube directions.  Easy

Thanks. I didn't know it was possible. It's too late for my last kindle, but if there's a next time I'll do that.