Author Topic: How Long Do Your Kindle Ereaders Last?  (Read 4992 times)  

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
Re: How Long Do Your Kindle Ereaders Last?
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2018, 02:28:12 AM »
All of my e-ink kindles are still functional. I charge the old ones occasionally just to make sure. My oldest one - the original kindle will be 10 this year.
I am amazed at the changes in the screen technology over that time.

Offline NedMarcus

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2018, 05:48:22 PM »
So it's only me  :(

Ned Marcus | website | facebook

Offline bordercollielady

• Westminster, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2018, 05:30:59 AM »
I have been noticing that my Voyage battery was needing to be charged too often.  Then I turned on Airplane mode.  I think the reader goes out to Goodreads, etc if you have Airplane turned off which uses up a charge.  It is much better now - altho I decided to trade it in for the new Oasis.

Offline jobo132435

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2018, 06:33:40 AM »
I have been noticing that my Voyage battery was needing to be charged too often.  Then I turned on Airplane mode.  I think the reader goes out to Goodreads, etc if you have Airplane turned off which uses up a charge.  It is much better now - altho I decided to trade it in for the new Oasis.

I think the batteries are a bit underspected for them to be honest, but then they are for the vast majority of devices, they keep making them smaller and lighter and cheaper and something has to give.

Your right about airplane mode, it will make a notable. Difference to battery life, but every thing you have turned on runs down the battery, even having auto rotate enabled bites in to battery life. Particularly you have to watch the number of apps running in the back ground, which seems t be most of them, even the kindle installed apps are buzzing away taking charge, for no good reason, even more so if you have a,selection of self installed apps, and more so again if these are side loaded or google apps. If you let it get out of control the thing can go flat in a couple of hours with out use

Offline Fogeydc

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2018, 07:59:47 AM »
I think the batteries are a bit underspected for them to be honest, but then they are for the vast majority of devices, they keep making them smaller and lighter and cheaper and something has to give.

Your right about airplane mode, it will make a notable. Difference to battery life, but every thing you have turned on runs down the battery, even having auto rotate enabled bites in to battery life. Particularly you have to watch the number of apps running in the back ground, which seems t be most of them, even the kindle installed apps are buzzing away taking charge, for no good reason, even more so if you have a,selection of self installed apps, and more so again if these are side loaded or google apps. If you let it get out of control the thing can go flat in a couple of hours with out use

What apps?
e-readers don't have any apps, unless you mean the older ones that had active content (games).

Offline bordercollielady

• Westminster, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2018, 09:04:28 AM »
What apps?
e-readers don't have any apps, unless you mean the older ones that had active content (games).

Maybe he is talking about using the Kindle app on a smartphone or tablet?   

Offline geezergas

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2018, 05:34:03 PM »
Bought my DX early on, still read @ 120 books a year, on the 2nd battery.

Offline bordercollielady

• Westminster, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2018, 10:09:11 AM »
I agree with others that my problems were about the battery.. they stopped holding a charge.  I always wished that Amazon supported replaceable batteries. 

Offline NedMarcus

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2018, 05:22:52 PM »
I agree with others that my problems were about the battery.. they stopped holding a charge.  I always wished that Amazon supported replaceable batteries.

+1

Offline geezergas

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2018, 01:53:12 PM »
+1
  Google Kindle Batteries, pages of them.  Changed the one in my DX in 1/2 a hour.  U Tube directions.  Easy

Offline NedMarcus

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2018, 03:44:22 AM »
  Google Kindle Batteries, pages of them.  Changed the one in my DX in 1/2 a hour.  U Tube directions.  Easy

Thanks. I didn't know it was possible. It's too late for my last kindle, but if there's a next time I'll do that.

Offline HLS

• MO
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2018, 08:14:11 PM »
I always upgrade. I never kept a kindle for more than 2 years
I own a 7" Oasis, Nook  Plus and a Nook Glowlight 3, iPad, Fire Tablets, 8 inch AZUS

Offline patrickt

• Oaxaca, Mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2018, 05:25:51 AM »
I always upgrade. I never kept a kindle for more than 2 years

Me, too. Right now I have two Paperwhites. I tried a Voyage and gave it to a college student. Tried an Oasis 2 but when I was notified the protective cover wouldn't be available for two months I sent the Oasis 2 back. But, I've always moved to a new Kindle before the old one died.

One other comment. I'm a born klutz. If I wanted to replace a battery in my Paperwhite, I would probably take it to a cell phone repair shop. I know some people who have gone to a training program for repairing cell phones and they'd do great with Kindles, too. Me? I'm a klutz.

Offline RichardLoweJr

• Safety Harbor, FL
  • Ghostwriter, author, blogger & LinkedIn Branding
    • View Profile
    • The Writing King
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2018, 07:13:35 AM »
I've had my Kindle for about 4 years now with absolutely no problems at all. I keep it in a padded case when I travel, and have it plugged into the wall whenever I'm not using it.

Author, Ghostwriter, Blogger, LinkedIn Branding Expert
Richard Lowe Jr | Blog | LinkedIn | Facebook | Amazon

Offline WDR

• Massachusetts
  • To boldly split infinitives
    • View Profile
    • Official Website of William D. Richards
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2018, 06:40:00 PM »
I bought my Kindle PageWhite when they first came out. My Nook Simpletouch was the first sold in New England and is my oldest ebook reader. My Kobo was bought not long after the SimpleTouch.

Overall, the Kindle is still going strong but the battery life is beginning to fade. The Nook is losing its battery and doesn't last long enough to read one book. The Kobo seems to be doing well enough already, but it is also showing the battery is aging. The kobo is the one I usually take with me when I go camping, so it has seen more active service than the other two.

The functionality of each seems to be alright. The only issue I have as noted above is the batteries seem to be fading after about six years of use.
Aggadeh Chronicles Book 3: Oracle: 11%
William D. Richards | Official Website | A Writer's Chronicles | Patreon

Online tsemple

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2018, 10:58:17 PM »
I just bought a replacement battery for my Kindle (1st generation), will arrive in a couple of days. It still works okay but for some reason cannot connect to Kindle Store. The only Kindle with a user-replaceable battery and SD slot.

I am somewhat skeptical that the replacement battery will be in great health (do they even still manufacture them?) but am hoping it might somehow fix the connect to Amazon problem. Amazon promised free (3G) wireless for the life of the device. Well, it is still alive! Will they give me a free Oasis in compensation?

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2018, 05:54:55 AM »
I just bought a replacement battery for my Kindle (1st generation), will arrive in a couple of days. It still works okay but for some reason cannot connect to Kindle Store. The only Kindle with a user-replaceable battery and SD slot.

I am somewhat skeptical that the replacement battery will be in great health (do they even still manufacture them?) but am hoping it might somehow fix the connect to Amazon problem. Amazon promised free (3G) wireless for the life of the device. Well, it is still alive! Will they give me a free Oasis in compensation?

Did you do the update last year(? maybe longer ago than that) that was required for the older devices to still connect?  I had to pull all of mine out and update them.  I guess now you'd have to download the file and do it manually.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200529680

Offline Jamski

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2018, 07:55:14 AM »
My Kindle 3 finally suffered a terminal issue...the right button on the 5 way no longer functions. I had already replaced the screen and was prepared to change the battery as well, but to lost a directional...not good nor easily replaced. Found a Touch at a bargain price and snagged it. The 3 I will keep next to my bed for night time reading.

Offline CaptnAndy

• Folsom, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2018, 10:37:35 AM »
I bought my first Kindle in 2012 to verify my first book looked correct. Wife took it over and used it till 2015, when the battery died. I bought a $37 replacement, watched all the U-Tubes on how to replace it, and broke the screen when I tried to open it up. I bought a new Kindle for less the cost to get the sreen replacement. That one is still going strong. Wife still reads from it & plays Kandy Crush while she watches TV.

A.G. Kimbrough, An Author/Publisher of Historical Fiction and Hard Science Fiction
A.G. Kimbrough

Online tsemple

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2018, 12:58:31 PM »
I just got a new battery for my very old Kindle gen 1 (bought on eBay a few years ago for $20). Battery was $20 through an Amazon seller, and seems to be in good health (despite my concern that it might be past its shelf life). Note K1 has replaceable battery by design, as well as an SD slot (the last such Kindle). Now I just need to figure out why it doesnt connect to Kindle Store. Im hoping (without much justification) that the new battery will help (I have to travel to where there is cell coverage for Sprint). At any rate it is fun to pull it out and use it, and will be more fun now that it holds a charge.

Offline John F

• Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2018, 03:51:07 AM »
My Paperwhite (2nd generation) is nearly 5 years old and as good as new. Having a good cover may be one reason why.
John

Online tsemple

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2018, 10:28:36 AM »
Did you do the update last year(? maybe longer ago than that) that was required for the older devices to still connect?  I had to pull all of mine out and update them.  I guess now you'd have to download the file and do it manually.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200529680

Yes, I did the update; that is not the problem. It connects to the cellular network, strong signal, but wont load Kindle Store. 

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2018, 05:16:37 PM »
Yes, I did the update; that is not the problem. It connects to the cellular network, strong signal, but wont load Kindle Store. 
My K1 is a bit iffy at this point too with connecting to the store. Seems if I send stuff to it it works better than actually trying to pull it from the device itself. I don't really use it anymore, but I like to charge it up every month and turn it on just to see if it still can call home. I have not been able to get library books on it though via overdrive. But sending stuff to it from the computer works fine. Mine has all the updates, but something is not quite connecting all the way anymore.

Member since 11/20/2008  | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline jb1111

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2018, 07:30:52 PM »
Kindle Fire, purchased in 2012 or 2013, still chugging. Not full f books yet, so it doesn't have memory issues.

I don't keep the wi-fi on much to save on battery life. A full battery will sometimes last weeks if I am not using it much. Only turn wi-fi on when needed.

It's only wigged on me 2-3 times, when it needed a reset. It still gets the job done.

Online Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2018, 02:06:58 PM »
My 2010 K3 continues to work flawlessly and holds a charge well.  The Oberon case is also in perfect condition.

As others have commented, it is easy to replace batteries in a GPS, cell phone, Kindles, etc. with the proper tool(s) and instructions.  I have replaced a number of batteries in such devices.