Author Topic: Another D2D question  (Read 523 times)  

Offline loraininflorida

• View Profile
Another D2D question
« on: January 01, 2018, 12:51:29 AM »
I just published my first book on D2D, in Mobi. I'd like to keep my book looking the same across platforms, can I now use my Mobi file from D2D to upload onto Amazon?

Lorain O'Neil

Offline TobiasRoote

• Greece
    • View Profile
    • Tobias Roote Books
Re: Another D2D question
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 01:01:08 AM »
Not really, Amazon prefers that you exclude the cover whereas if you don't include your cover on D2D the reader doesn't get it. I guess Amazon will strip it out if you leave it in, so it 'probably' doesn't matter much either way.

Tobias Roote | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline loraininflorida

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 04:22:36 AM »
Not really, Amazon prefers that you exclude the cover whereas if you don't include your cover on D2D the reader doesn't get it. I guess Amazon will strip it out if you leave it in, so it 'probably' doesn't matter much either way.

Oh no, I stripped out the cover on Calibre, would just use the Mobi. I'm just wondering if there is anything in the Mobi manuscript content that wouldn't work.

Lorain O'Neil

Offline TobiasRoote

• Greece
    • View Profile
    • Tobias Roote Books
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 04:38:41 AM »
Oh no, I stripped out the cover on Calibre, would just use the Mobi. I'm just wondering if there is anything in the Mobi manuscript content that wouldn't work.

No, I'm sure it will be fine. I'm pretty certain that Amazon will take any formatted .mobi and D2D tends to be accepted universally.

Tobias Roote | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline notjohn

• View Profile
    • Notjohn's Self-Publishing Guide
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 04:53:06 AM »
You can also upload the epub, which is what I do. (I build it myself, using Sigil, and it's true that I strip out the cover before doing so. There is a chance that you will get a double cover if you don't, though I haven't seen that effect for a couple years.)
Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: http://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

Offline Sam Rivers

• Planet Earth
  • Sci Fi Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 08:44:31 AM »
I just published my first book on D2D, in Mobi. I'd like to keep my book looking the same across platforms, can I now use my Mobi file from D2D to upload onto Amazon?

Yes, it works fine. I always use the Mobi from D2D and I never have any problems.

Offline loraininflorida

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 02:11:06 PM »
Thank you, so I'm going to do it.  (The Mobi from my D2D version sure looks better than anything I've come up with on my own over the years just using Word.)

Lorain O'Neil

Offline Sam Rivers

• Planet Earth
  • Sci Fi Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 02:34:35 PM »
Thank you, so I'm going to do it.  (The Mobi from my D2D version sure looks better than anything I've come up with on my own over the years just using Word.)

You are right since D2D does a wonderful job. They also give you a Table of Contents. I have never had any trouble with a mobi being accepted immediately. I had trouble sometimes with a word document.

Online K'Sennia Visitor

• Deep inside the AGU
  • I've got an idea!
    • View Profile
    • The Indie Authors Accountability Group: Open to All Genres!
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 05:11:26 PM »

Yep, that's why I always upload to D2D first. I download the epub, mobi, and pdf as part of the publishing process, and then I upload either the epub or the mobi to amazon. I've done both, but I usually prefer the epub just because I like epubs best.

Offline loraininflorida

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 07:09:53 PM »
Well I've gotten stymied. I don't want to use D2D's cover page or copyright page, I want to add my own to the D2D epub. Unfortunately I have not been able to figure out how to add those two pages in Calibre. I think their editing tool hates me.  :'(

Lorain O'Neil

Offline Sam Rivers

• Planet Earth
  • Sci Fi Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 07:29:34 PM »
Well I've gotten stymied. I don't want to use D2D's cover page or copyright page, I want to add my own to the D2D epub. Unfortunately I have not been able to figure out how to add those two pages in Calibre. I think their editing tool hates me

You are overthinking this. Go back to your word document and put what you want in it and then uncheck the items in D2D that you don't want. Then make a new mobi file. See how it looks and play with it until you get what you want.

Offline loraininflorida

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2018, 08:38:56 PM »
You are overthinking this. Go back to your word document and put what you want in it and then uncheck the items in D2D that you don't want. Then make a new mobi file. See how it looks and play with it until you get what you want.

That was the best advice. I just went back in and inserted a Page Break (something so simple I'd assumed that wouldn't work) and it did. I'm still not able to force the copyright info to the bottom of its page so I instead just added one of D2D's little formatting pictures above it and all in all it looks ok. I'm uploading it to Amazon. Thanks!

Lorain O'Neil