Kindle Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

So, what are you reading in 2018?

17K views 114 replies 40 participants last post by  Natasha Holme 
#1 ·
#55 ·
Yesterday evening I finished Waistcoats & Weaponry, the third book in Gail Carriger's "Finishing School" series. Lots of fun! I liked how the plot moved in one direction, then ramped up and took a turn in the last quarter of the book. The characters are great as well. I hope to start on the last book in the series this weekend.

#56 ·

My local library -- Arlington County, VA -- is doing a summer "Big Book" club, aka #ohboytolstoy. It really is meant to run all summer. There's a reading schedule and they're hoping to have a movie showing at the end. There is a FB group and a hashtag for twitter, a podcast that the librarians are doing, and weekly group discussions.

Anyone can join -- we just started as of the beginning of the month. Don't need to be local. Here's the website: https://library.arlingtonva.us/explore/for-readers/book-clubs/big-book-club-oh-boy-tolstoy/

#60 ·
Last night I finished Manners & Mutiny, the fourth & final book in Gail Carriger's "Finishing School" series. It had slow but dramatic start, then accelerated towards a rousing finish. There was a warm happy ending that I wanted and needed. I enjoyed how this and last book planted seeds for the "Parasol Protectorate" books. And there were the exploding fake desserts. I plan to move on from that to the final book in a more serious series, probably starting next week.

#62 ·
Yesterday evening I finished The Custodian of Marvels by Rod Duncan, the third book is his "Fall of the Gas-Lit Empire" trilogy. This was a quite enjoyable book, and gave me more insight into the world, which I'd have to say is more alternate-history than steampunk. It began as a mystery about a book, then turned to revenge, then to a heist. Overall I quite liked this series. The author is writing more books in this universe. I'd like to know his next series ends before investing in it. That means I'll move on to another book next. Not quite decided which just yet...

#65 ·
Yesterday I finished Royal Assassin, the second book in Robin Hobb's "Farseer Trilogy." It was a really good novel. Took some turns I wasn't expecting, especially towards the end. I read Assassin's Apprentice, the first book in the trilogy, earlier this year. I'm going to wait a few days before starting on the third and final book, Assassin's Quest.

#68 ·
Yesterday I finished Assassin's Quest, the third book Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy. An interesting and satisfying conclusion to the trilogy. Also nicely odd at times. I haven't run across that much when it comes to magic or to visiting the ruins of an ancient fantasy culture. Kept me reading as I wanted to know the explanations for what the characters were seeing. Not quite sure what I'll read next. I'll have to check prices before I spend my pennies.

#76 ·
Hi, all. There's a lot of variety in this thread, and I think I may be able to diversify my taste if I go through this thread more carefully.

Anyhow, I am currently reading Magic Seeds by VS Naipaul. I haven't read a lot of his works, but I've decided to have a go since I heard of his recent passing. I really like Magic Seeds. He must have been 65+ when he wrote this, and it shows: his observations are caustic and unsettling, but not entirely amiss. Next I wish to read some of Doris Lessing's works.
Coursework: On the other hand, I am unfortunate enough to have strict advisors and instructors, and I am reading a lot of college-level Earth Science. But I'm learning a lot, and I'm even beginning to like the discipline, so I'm not complaining--at least not yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.