Author Topic: The results of my mailing list survey!  (Read 605 times)  

Offline Piano Jenny

• View Profile
The results of my mailing list survey!
« on: January 01, 2018, 09:38:42 AM »
Some background information:

My mailing list is 1300 people, the vast majority of which are from Instafreebie. A small chunk is from My Book Cave, and less than 10 percent are organic sign-ups.
I've had 142 responses within 27 hours of sending it out. That is, of course, a really small percent that responded. I don't know if that's because it's a holiday weekend or what. Maybe I'll get more responses over the next couple of days.

In my into email I describe my books as "clean" and "a combination of romance and chick lit."

What kinds of things would you like to see in my emails? (check as many as apply)
By far, the most popular answer was "Promos for free and discounted books." -- 89% (This did not surprise me at all.)
At a distant second was "Giveaway Contests" -- 67%
Tied for third were "Favorite Recipes" and "Behind the Scenes of an Author" -- each at 62%
Fourth was "Personal Stuff and photos about what me and my family is up to -- 34%
Fifth was "Book Reviews and What I've Been reading Lately" -- 32%
Last was "Writing Tips" -- 12%

(I was a little surprised that "recipes" and "personal stuff" came in slightly higher than "book reviews.")

Is there anything you'd like to see if my emails that is NOT included in the list above?

The vast majority of people said no.

The replies I got were:
Cover reveals for upcoming books
Funny stories that happen in your life
How do you get the different ideas you write about, any relevant true-life incidents
Swag offers
Recommending other authors that are similar to you
What is your favorite ____? (I guess they mean for me to share that info with them -- my favorite food, TV show, whatever? And then ask them to respond with theirs?)
Reminder email of when ARC reviews are due
Book available on a Kobo reader, in epub format

How often would you like to hear from me?
Once a week -- 42% (I was surprised this many people wanted emails that often)
Twice a month -- 24%
Once a month -- 23%
Twice a week -- 9% (I thought this was pretty funny -- I'm flattered that anyone would want to get emails from me TWICE a week!)

Any other comments?
Mostly people just said thanks and Happy New Year. There were a few interesting comments, though:

"Do you do ARC's? I am annoyed by typos, left out words, too many words, misspellings such as "monthe" above, etc. that seem to be appearing in every book I read lately as though authors are in too big a hurry to get books published to have them edited properly." (I was a little confused by this one -- wasn't sure what asking about ARCs had to do with badly edited books. I do do ARCs, by the way.)

"I read a lot of types of books, but am finding a lot of other authors promoting others books have the same promotions, which I understand, but I am more interested in what the author writes."

"Consider not using the subscriber's first name in the subjects and body of the newsletters. You come off sounding like a used-car salesman. Like "Hi, Bob, let me tell you about this car, Bob." Puts hand on shoulder. "I think you'll agree, Bob, that ..."" (a little embarrassing to hear, but glad they told me)

So now I'm trying to figure out how to move forward with this information. I guess I should strive to send out two emails, maybe three, every month and try to include a group promo at least once a month? Then maybe mix in some of the other things with it.

Any thoughts? Things that surprised you? Suggestions for me in moving forward and making changes?

Professional Pianist and Author
Jennifer McCoy Blaske | Website

Offline EllieDee

• Drifting around Europe
  • Dreaming about the future...
    • View Profile
Re: The results of my mailing list survey!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 10:13:16 AM »
Thanks for sharing the data!   :)

Interesting that so many people wanted to be mailed weekly.  Just goes to show my personal experience (I want a monthly email or whenever they have a new book out/sale planned, period) doesn't really generalize to the 'typical reader.'

Offline Rose Andrews

• Wenatchee Valley, WA
  • Vintage Love <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 10:13:37 AM »
Jenny, thank you for this! I love the newsletter ideas the readers gave you. This is something I've been struggling with lately and this helps a lot. How have things been going for you anyway? Last I recall you were thinking of writing a mystery. Have you started it already? Happy New Year! About how to progress...dunno. I'm curious to see what others pitch in here. Newsletters are the bane of my existence so I have no real advice to give. Just...hugs. :D

20th Century & Western Historical Romance
Rose Historicals Website | Pinterest

Offline TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 12:32:39 PM »
I did a similar survey (reported here somewhere), and the top response re what they wanted in the newsletter. Result:

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Secret Pen Pal

• This is going to be fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 12:51:50 PM »
The reader who mentioned ARCs might want to catch errors for you prior to publication. Sounds like a good candidate for a beta reader.

Fun info, thanks for posting. I send once a week. I share authors I enjoy in my NLs, still working on the right balance. I tried the personalized by name approach and stopped because it wasn't comfortable. You reader's comment is good validation.

Thanks for your results, too, TromboneAl.

Online MelanieCellier

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 01:00:28 PM »
The comment about seeing the same promos showing up in multiple authors emails is interesting. Ive actually noticed the same thing. It makes sense given that someone who reads a certain genre and signs up for newsletters is likely signed up to multiple similar authors lists.

Melanie Cellier | Website | Facebook

Offline missbedora

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 01:52:19 PM »
I loved the used car salesman bit- must be a a fellow writer, so well-expressed!

Offline TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 05:39:28 PM »
I loved the used car salesman bit- must be a a fellow writer, so well-expressed!
Thank you!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter