KB Featured
Grey Daze: A Lance Underphal Mystery
by Michael Allan Scott

Kindle Edition published 2015-03-29
Bestseller ranking: 167157

Product Description
An IAN Book of the Year Finalist and featured on NBC's Daytime Show, the third book in the Lance Underphal Mystery series is part of a new breed of supernatural thrillers which can be read and enjoyed in any order. Based on real events, this is one of those dark, disturbing novels that keeps you turning pages.

Download the sample or use the "Look inside" feature for a FREE E-book offer.

It's a mystery- Something is wrong. As Lance Underphal pads softly across the cold flagstone, he hears her weeping. She is on her knees, hunched over in the middle of the room, her back to him, facing the dark fireplace. Something is very wrong. Lance wants to rush to her, but can't. In a hoarse whisper, he says, "Callie?" She lets out a mournful wail from deep within as she turns, their infant son in her arms, blue and still. He reels from the blow. How can this be? They don't have a son.

Author Topic: Janowrimo- 50k words in January 2018  (Read 1224 times)  

Offline missbedora

• Canada
    • View Profile
Janowrimo- 50k words in January 2018
« on: January 01, 2018, 08:01:10 PM »
Would anyone like to join me for a Nanowrimo-like writing challenge for the month of January? I am relatively new to kboards (a daily lurker) and have been incredibly impressed by the support you writers offer each other. I would love some "buddies" for mutual cheerleading and accountability in the month of January.

Some background- I just completed Nanowrimo for the first time in 2017, and after a month off in December, I'm ready to do it again. I very much enjoyed the rhythm that daily writing brought to my life. It also felt like a relief to get down in writing some of the words and ideas that whirl in my brain on a daily basis.

Nanowrimo 2017 was life-changing for me; I reached a formerly unattainable goal of writing 50k+ words, but the end result was nothing remotely publishable. I had created a rough outline, but the last 1/3 of the "plan" was pretty weak. I don't think I really believed I would make it that far. I'd like to finish January 2018 with the first draft of a novel with the potential to actually be published somewhere down the road.

For January I've got a Scrivener subscription, research completed, most of a scene-by-scene outline, and some character writing done as well. Finished my first 2000 words today! I've started a goal-tracker for this novel on nanowrimo.org under the name missbedora, although I'm not entirely sure, can "buddies" see each other's goal-trackers?.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 09:18:44 AM by missbedora »

Offline BeMyBookBaby

• View Profile
Re: Janowrimo?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 04:08:00 AM »
Im in! Sick at the moment so wrote nothin yesterday and will need serious caffeine to get out of bed today, but will support rom the sidelines until I can peek up!!!

Shall we post our word totals here each day? Im thinking this format?

Day 1::
Total:

So if we have a bad day we can still see how far we have come.

Offline Pandorra

• View Profile
    • Legends of Elera
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 05:20:00 AM »
If you know what your optimal range is there are several posts going already with counts and encouragement.. I don't think anyone minds if you start another, but it helps when more people that write in your word range post together so try putting a number or a goal up if you keep this one... :)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 05:23:11 AM by Pandorra »
I Am Sin: 1%

Legends of Elera - Covenant: 64%

Evolution's Fury: 12%
Dean Rencraft | Website

Offline Jessie G. Talbot

• Raleigh, NC
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 07:09:35 AM »
I won't be able to participate (NaNo has always been out of my reach) but good luck!

Jessie G. Talbot | Website | Twitter | Newsletter

Offline Lynn Is A Pseudonym

• Human.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 08:47:50 AM »
I missed Nano in 2017 and was already planning my January nano instead so I'll join you. :) I'm slow but I've had a few 50000+ word months in the last 5+ years. I'm hoping to make January one more.

Offline missbedora

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 09:22:44 AM »
Im in! Sick at the moment so wrote nothin yesterday and will need serious caffeine to get out of bed today, but will support rom the sidelines until I can peek up!!!

Shall we post our word totals here each day? Im thinking this format?

Day 1::
Total:

So if we have a bad day we can still see how far we have come.
Great, yes, that's what I had in mind. Get well soon!

If you know what your optimal range is there are several posts going already with counts and encouragement.. I don't think anyone minds if you start another, but it helps when more people that write in your word range post together so try putting a number or a goal up if you keep this one... :)

Thanks Pandorra, I updated the topic so the goal is clearer. There are some great threads (1000 words a day etc) for counts and encouragement, but this is a little more specific. More similar to the Nanowrimo thread that ran in November.

I missed Nano in 2017 and was already planning my January nano instead so I'll join you. :) I'm slow but I've had a few 50000+ word months in the last 5+ years. I'm hoping to make January one more.

Welcome Lynn! January is a better month for me than November in terms of life commitments so I'm feeling hopeful!

Offline Evenstar

• UK
  • YA and PNR
    • View Profile
    • Author Website
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 11:22:12 AM »

I'm not so sure about that. Isn't the point of nano that you can have good days and bad days rather than the consistency that the other threads aim for? It's about end goal rather than daily goal, or is that just me?

Offline Pandorra

• View Profile
    • Legends of Elera
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 11:24:48 AM »

Thanks Pandorra, I updated the topic so the goal is clearer. There are some great threads (1000 words a day etc) for counts and encouragement, but this is a little more specific. More similar to the Nanowrimo thread that ran in November.

Nano wasn't what I expected, I write pretty fast and learned more from the boards here, but my word count and goals didn't change so I threw my numbers up so I could at least say I did it.. lol... I think it's a great challenge and exercise for some though and wish you all the best in meeting your goals.. just remember that you get faster with experience and everyone has their own pace, so don't ever feel discouraged by what you do achieve, it's a big deal just sitting down and getting the words out in a way that starts to shape your ideas, only you know when it's enough or not... but you're already well on the way!!

Good Luck All!!

Dean Rencraft | Website

Offline Pandorra

• View Profile
    • Legends of Elera
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 11:32:43 AM »
I'm not so sure about that. Isn't the point of nano that you can have good days and bad days rather than the consistency that the other threads aim for? It's about end goal rather than daily goal, or is that just me?

I never really got Nano, it seemed pretty solo to me but then I didn't join most of the activities... it felt good to put the numbers up but then I felt bad because I thought I might be making someone else feel bad and that's just an evil cycle lol .. I'm positive its there to encourage everyone to do their best, but as with everything that's going to depend on your strengths, weaknesses, personal life and work schedules etc.. I think I just happen to have more time to write than most people, it isn't a magic formula, so making everyone feel like they need to meet the same specific goal is a little harsh.. I like my word count forum though, that keeps me on track and challenged!!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 11:34:48 AM by Pandorra »

Dean Rencraft | Website

Offline missbedora

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 01:27:50 PM »

There are probably as many ways to do Nano as there are people doing it...but yes, for me, my goal is 50k by the end of the month, with SOME words every day, even if it's 100.

I find setting a daily word goal with no end date to be so daunting it paralyses me and prevents me from starting. "1000 words a day? But I work full time! And have a million other responsibilities...[insert more excuses here]."

But if it is just for one month, it seems doable somehow for me. At least it was in November. Fingers crossed for January!

Offline missbedora

• Canada
    • View Profile
Re: Janowrimo- 50k words in January 2018
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 07:56:16 PM »
Day 2: 2133
Total: 4317

Offline Marina Finlayson

• Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Marina Finlayson
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 08:03:57 PM »
So far so good, missbedora! I love Nano--I also found it life-changing when I discovered it. I won't be able to do a Nano this month as I'm three-quarters of the way through a book, but I'm happy to cheer you on, and I could post wordcounts if you like, to keep you company.

Marina Finlayson | Website | Twitter | Goodreads | Facebook | Instagram

Offline dgcasey

• Las Vegas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 01:49:38 AM »
January and March are going to be all about getting projects edited and rewritten and ready for publishing. I have a goal of getting six titles out before the end of this year, so writing something new is not in the cards right now. In February I'm committed to doing 30 paintings in 30 days with some artist friends of mine. So, that leaves me getting ready for and looking forward to April's Camp NaNoWriMo.
War is coming. They think he can be their leader. He's not so sure.
D Glenn Casey | My author\\\'s blog | My artist\\\'s blog

Offline Evenstar

• UK
  • YA and PNR
    • View Profile
    • Author Website
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2018, 03:25:42 AM »
... I think it's a great challenge and exercise for some though and wish you all the best in meeting your goals.. just remember that you get faster with experience and everyone has their own pace, so don't ever feel discouraged by what you do achieve, it's a big deal just sitting down and getting the words out in a way that starts to shape your ideas, only you know when it's enough or not... but you're already well on the way!!

So true!

I don't do Nano either because I simply do not have time to write 50k in a month. But I LOVE Camp Nano (which I think is April and July) because you set your own word count goal and because you have cabin mates to bond with and chat with and who support you and to be accountable to with your goals.

Offline missbedora

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2018, 10:34:39 PM »
So far so good, missbedora! I love Nano--I also found it life-changing when I discovered it. I won't be able to do a Nano this month as I'm three-quarters of the way through a book, but I'm happy to cheer you on, and I could post wordcounts if you like, to keep you company.

Yes, please do Marina! Do you have a word goal for the month? When do you plan on finishing?

Offline missbedora

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2018, 10:36:31 PM »
January and March are going to be all about getting projects edited and rewritten and ready for publishing. I have a goal of getting six titles out before the end of this year, so writing something new is not in the cards right now. In February I'm committed to doing 30 paintings in 30 days with some artist friends of mine. So, that leaves me getting ready for and looking forward to April's Camp NaNoWriMo.
Wow, you've got a full year planned, that's exciting! Any chance you can paint horses? I'm going to need a book cover at the end of this month I hope!  :P

Offline missbedora

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2018, 10:37:17 PM »
Day 3: 2137
Total: 6454

Offline Marina Finlayson

• Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Marina Finlayson
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2018, 02:16:47 AM »
Yes, please do Marina! Do you have a word goal for the month? When do you plan on finishing?

Word goal is however many it takes to finish this! I'm estimating about 20k of first draft, then another 2 or 3k added in revision. I want the whole thing finished and out the door to the editor by the end of the month.

Normally that would be totally doable, but it's school holidays here all month, so I have a house full of teenagers, plus we're going away on a beach holiday for the last couple of weeks. Concentration is kinda challenging! But I'm doing okay so far, with 6384 words for the month.

Offline TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2018, 10:08:35 AM »
I'm planning on doing a NaNoWriMoFeb on my own. I wrote my Christmas  book in Camp Nanowrimo in July, and it went well. It was fun, and the cabin mates were nice, but I didn't feel that doing it "with others" helped much.

The book is perhaps my best, and I wrote it in 23 days. I didn't allow myself to start writing until July 1, but I had the whole thing plotted out ahead of time. I knew what I was going to write, and that's what helped me the most. I also avoided that terrible moment when you're 75% done and decide you need a new ending.

So, by Feb 1, I should have the plotting (etc.) done. Because I'm a share-a-holic, here's where it stands:

Also, this time, I'm going to skip to the long process of feeding it through Critique Circle. I may use a few beta readers.

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter

• Human.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2018, 02:03:12 PM »
Well, I'm down to three weeks now. I guess I'd better get started. :)

Offline Guy Riessen

• View Profile
    • Guy Riessen Author of Dark Fiction
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2018, 02:37:48 PM »
I'll join in!

1/6     1478
1/7     2136
1/8     0328  *sigh*
1/9     2785
1/10   1238
1/11   3902
1/12   3488
1/13
1/14
1/15
1/16
1/17
1/18
1/19
1/20
1/21
1/22
1/23
1/24
1/25
1/26
1/27
1/28
1/29
1/30
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 07:43:11 PM by Guy Riessen »

Guy Riessen | website

Offline Ambran

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2018, 03:15:46 PM »
I'm in! I have about 4k done, but I will start from today-to track better...Since my kids are still off for Christmas vacation, I write more at night.

I am new here so just a couple quick questions what is Scrivener and NaNo?

Thank you everybody great thread!

Day 1-5: 0
Total: 0
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 04:27:39 PM by Ambran »

Offline missbedora

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2018, 07:58:38 PM »
Normally that would be totally doable, but it's school holidays here all month, so I have a house full of teenagers, plus we're going away on a beach holiday for the last couple of weeks. Concentration is kinda challenging! But I'm doing okay so far, with 6384 words for the month.

Pretty impressive in a house full of teenagers, I find my dog enough of a distraction some days. Actually, lets face it, I could be alone in a dark room with my writing and find a way to be distracted some days. :)

Well, I'm down to three weeks now. I guess I'd better get started. :)

Never too late!

I'm planning on doing a NaNoWriMoFeb on my own. I wrote my Christmas  book in Camp Nanowrimo in July, and it went well. It was fun, and the cabin mates were nice, but I didn't feel that doing it "with others" helped much.

The book is perhaps my best, and I wrote it in 23 days. I didn't allow myself to start writing until July 1, but I had the whole thing plotted out ahead of time. I knew what I was going to write, and that's what helped me the most. I also avoided that terrible moment when you're 75% done and decide you need a new ending.

So, by Feb 1, I should have the plotting (etc.) done. Because I'm a share-a-holic, here's where it stands:

Also, this time, I'm going to skip to the long process of feeding it through Critique Circle. I may use a few beta readers.

Your outline is inspiring, well done! I think I need to go back through my corkboard and fill those outline cards in a bit better. That 75% percent realization that my murder was in fact a suicide happened to me last time. Oops!

I am new here so just a couple quick questions what is Scrivener and NaNo?

Welcome Ambran!
I'm no expert, but I will try to answer. Nano is the short form for Nanowrimo aka National Novel Writing Month, which happens in November and is the inspiration for this month's challenge. nanowrimo.org.
Scrivener is a programme that many writers use for writing. There is a 30 day trial and I got 50% off after "winning" Nanowrimo. I have found it extremely helpful and handy for outlining, although I definitely needed to do the tutorial, and there is a bit of a learning curve. You can find it here, and there are lots of threads about it here on Kboards.www.literatureandlatte.com

Offline missbedora

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2018, 08:00:20 PM »
Oops, and forgot to add my stats for a couple of days

Day 4: 1445
Day 5: 1146
Day 6: 2796
Total: 11 841

I work full time, so clearly get more done on the weekends! Hoping for another good day tomorrow. My protagonist has found the murder weapon, so lots to write about tomorrow...

Offline Marina Finlayson

• Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Marina Finlayson
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2018, 02:02:06 AM »
How did you go today, missbedora? I did absolutely nothing on the weekend, so had to pick up the pace today. Got over 3k today, which brings my total for the month to 10,648.

Offline Ambran

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2018, 02:06:15 AM »
I still need to start  :-[

Hopefully there will be time and quiet tomorrow, doubtful. Should be starting on Tuesday!

Online Vale

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2018, 02:38:21 AM »
I'm mired in editing this month, but I wanted to give my support =]

My favorite part about NaNo is the community. It's why I prefer Camp NaNoWriMo to the November version -- I like the cabins and support networks that come built-in.

Offline Guy Riessen

• View Profile
    • Guy Riessen Author of Dark Fiction
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2018, 08:40:48 AM »
How did you go today, missbedora? I did absolutely nothing on the weekend, so had to pick up the pace today. Got over 3k today, which brings my total for the month to 10,648.

Weekends are hard for me too--Sunday I got lucky and my wife and daughter went out shopping for a couple hours :)

Guy Riessen | website

• Human.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2018, 10:16:32 AM »
I ... just spent a lot of time watching Psych on Amazon Prime yesterday. :o I've let the weather get to me and I just don't feel well at all right now. Might just wait to start until later today.  :-\

Offline missbedora

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2018, 10:26:52 AM »
Yesterday I wrote just under 1000 words, ended up being a busy day but a sneaked in a bit of writing time.

A quieter day at work today and hoping to squeeze in a few words...shhh....
My goal this month is to write SOMETHING every day, even if it's 100 words. So far so good!

Offline missbedora

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2018, 06:40:27 PM »
Day 7: 994
Day 8: 1897
Total: 14 732
Plugging along!

Offline missbedora

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2018, 10:07:13 PM »
Day 9: 2251
Total: 16 983

A good word count for me today, plus I spent a couple of hours redoing my outline. Inspiration was striking and some things needed to be shuffled. Love the Scrivener corkboard for that ability!

Offline Marina Finlayson

• Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Marina Finlayson
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2018, 10:47:23 PM »
I'm up to 12,717 for the month but didn't write a single word today. No particular reason; just couldn't bring myself to start. I get like this sometimes when I only have a handful of scenes left. It's as if my subconscious doesn't want to finish. Stupid brain!

Glad the words are flowing for you, missbedora.

Offline missbedora

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2018, 09:45:43 AM »
I'm up to 12,717 for the month but didn't write a single word today. No particular reason; just couldn't bring myself to start. I get like this sometimes when I only have a handful of scenes left. It's as if my subconscious doesn't want to finish. Stupid brain!

Glad the words are flowing for you, missbedora.

That's a pretty decent word count for the month! Glad to have you here  ;D

I also have days where I can't bring myself to write a single word.

So far my strategy has been to set a timer for 20 minutes, sit down, open my document and tell myself I have to write for 20 minutes, even if it's the worst crap imaginable. Sometimes it's just a string of cliches. So far, it has never failed that after a few minutes the words start to come, and usually I am well in the groove and continue writing once the timer goes off.

My brain needs to be tricked more days than not!

Offline missbedora

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2018, 09:34:22 PM »
Day 10: 2070
Day 11: 2015
Total: 21 068
How's everyone else doing?

Offline Marina Finlayson

• Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Marina Finlayson
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2018, 11:17:21 PM »
You are screaming along! I'm up to 15,311 for the month. I think I only have 6-8k left to finish the book, then it will be on to revision.

Offline missbedora

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2018, 09:11:20 PM »
You are screaming along! I'm up to 15,311 for the month. I think I only have 6-8k left to finish the book, then it will be on to revision.

Wow, you are pretty close now! Do you have a date in mind to be done these last few thousand words?

My word counts
Day 12: 1676
Day 13: 2455
Total: 25 199

Online ADDavies

• Staffordshire, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2018, 05:53:25 AM »
Day 10: 2070
Day 11: 2015
Total: 21 068
How's everyone else doing?

I went a bit bonkers this year. I had a head start on a novel (14,000 done between 17th Dec and 31st), but I just finished it yesterday.

02-Jan    5,878
03-Jan    6,927
04-Jan    8,031
05-Jan    6,067
07-Jan    3,865
08-Jan    1,625
09-Jan    7,989
10-Jan    6,937
11-Jan    4,061
12-Jan    9,000
13-Jan    1,822
Total Jan: 62,202

I don't usually write this fast, but I've just plugged away with every free moment of my day - on trains, lunch breaks, staying late at my desk a few times, ignoring family... now to give it a heckuva polish.
Adam Park #5 : 100%

Offline missbedora

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2018, 04:01:08 PM »
I went a bit bonkers this year. I had a head start on a novel (14,000 done between 17th Dec and 31st), but I just finished it yesterday.

02-Jan    5,878
03-Jan    6,927
04-Jan    8,031
05-Jan    6,067
07-Jan    3,865
08-Jan    1,625
09-Jan    7,989
10-Jan    6,937
11-Jan    4,061
12-Jan    9,000
13-Jan    1,822
Total Jan: 62,202

I don't usually write this fast, but I've just plugged away with every free moment of my day - on trains, lunch breaks, staying late at my desk a few times, ignoring family... now to give it a heckuva polish.

Way to go! That's incredible. My brain seems to just turn off after about 2500 words. After that point it's better if I just stop. I've never even come close to a 9000 word day. But maybe if I spread it out throughout the day, like you said?

Offline Ambran

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2018, 06:49:33 PM »
Slowly getting into it.  I went and redid my outlines and thought of a new story entirely.

Jan. 15th - 2,531
Total = 2,531

Offline missbedora

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2018, 10:00:21 PM »
Slowly getting into it.  I went and redid my outlines and thought of a new story entirely.

Jan. 15th - 2,531
Total = 2,531

You are at 2531 more words than I wrote in the month of December.  ;D

Offline missbedora

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2018, 10:03:26 PM »
Day 14: 2476
Day 15: 644
Total: 28 319

Today was a bit of a tough day for writing. I always find Mondays hard actually. I had a long and full work day and then an event right after work. But I got a few words done at least.
Yesterday I had a word count boost when I went to an in-person write-in organized by people in my city who wrote together during Nano. I got way more writing done than I would have guessed! The peer pressure of all that frantic typing :)