Author Topic: About those also-boughts...  (Read 1575 times)  

Offline Martitalbott

• Marti Talbott
    • View Profile
    • Marti Talbott's Books
Re: About those also-boughts...
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2018, 10:09:33 AM »
Exactly. So when it doesn't work that way, there's an issue, right? Well that's what the problem was. The algorithm amazon uses to align also-boughts did not work right, so even though my book should have had also-boughts by the time it was on sale for a couple weeks and sold a hundred copies, it didn't.

I really think worrying about also boughts is a waste of time. It doesn't have anything to do with your sales, just what other books have sold together with yours. That's just me, probably. I can't imagine so closely watching everything on 48 books. I'd go nuts and never get anything else done. I rarely even read the reviews and don't go to Goodreads at all.

Marti Talbott's Books   www.martitalbott.com

Offline Guy Riessen

• View Profile
    • Guy Riessen Author of Dark Fiction
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2018, 10:15:05 AM »
I really think worrying about also boughts is a waste of time. It doesn't have anything to do with your sales, just what other books have sold together with yours. That's just me, probably. I can't imagine so closely watching everything on 48 books. I'd go nuts and never get anything else done. I rarely even read the reviews and don't go to Goodreads at all.

I'm sure that'll make a ton of sense when I have your backlist :) Til then, I've got to maximize exposure, and keeping track of two novels is easy enough.

Guy Riessen | website

Offline IreneP

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • IrenePreston.com
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2018, 01:44:26 PM »

This isn't true - or not exactly. I suppose not having any A/B's show on your own book doesn't have anything to do with sales, except there is usually some degree of reciprocity. The real issue is if your book is not appearing in any other A/Bs. That becomes a huge problem because then your book is basically invisible on Amazon unless someone is looking for it specifically. Unless you have sales putting you toward the top of your category, it can be hard to tell where your book is showing on other product pages.

Having the A/Bs populate on your own book is usually an indication that things are working as they should. Mine usually show up about 3 days after sales/pre-orders start happening, but sometimes it can be a little buggy like anything else. My Look-inside didn't appear until weeks after a release once. Sometimes things are just a little wonky. Never hurts to query KDP if you think there might be an issue.

Online MelanieCellier

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2018, 04:43:14 PM »
Interestingly enough, after following this thread, I just spotted my latest release (a box set that I recently released at full price and haven't yet advertised) in the also-boughts of one of my other books. I was surprised because last I checked, the box set didn't have also-boughts--or enough sales to trigger them. I popped over to check and, sure enough, the box set still only has also-vieweds.

However, I did notice a couple of days ago that it has a lonely four 'also-boughts' at the very bottom of the page. So it seems there are two factors going on here. One is the position of the also-boughts vs the also-vieweds on the page. I remember a while ago when the also-boughts from the top of the page and the also-vieweds from the bottom of the page started being randomly switched, even on established books. It looks like this is what's happened in this case, and could possibly be what happened with Guy's book as well.

Guy - I don't think you ever mentioned, did your book have also-vieweds? And did you ever happen to scroll all the way down the page and see if the also-boughts were down there? It would explain what happened in your case (i.e. that they had actually kicked in, they'd just been formatted strangely on your product page).

The other question is when also-boughts kick in. I definitely don't have 50 sales on the box set. I'm likely past that mark with sales and borrows combined, although I can't be sure.

Melanie Cellier | Website | Facebook

Offline Guy Riessen

• View Profile
    • Guy Riessen Author of Dark Fiction
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2018, 02:34:35 PM »
Interestingly enough, after following this thread, I just spotted my latest release (a box set that I recently released at full price and haven't yet advertised) in the also-boughts of one of my other books. I was surprised because last I checked, the box set didn't have also-boughts--or enough sales to trigger them. I popped over to check and, sure enough, the box set still only has also-vieweds.

However, I did notice a couple of days ago that it has a lonely four 'also-boughts' at the very bottom of the page. So it seems there are two factors going on here. One is the position of the also-boughts vs the also-vieweds on the page. I remember a while ago when the also-boughts from the top of the page and the also-vieweds from the bottom of the page started being randomly switched, even on established books. It looks like this is what's happened in this case, and could possibly be what happened with Guy's book as well.

Guy - I don't think you ever mentioned, did your book have also-vieweds? And did you ever happen to scroll all the way down the page and see if the also-boughts were down there? It would explain what happened in your case (i.e. that they had actually kicked in, they'd just been formatted strangely on your product page).

The other question is when also-boughts kick in. I definitely don't have 50 sales on the box set. I'm likely past that mark with sales and borrows combined, although I can't be sure.

I don't think I did scroll to the very bottom (where the Also-Viewed are now). I always stopped at the bottom of the Reviews, or where the Reviews start. It's certainly possible that they placed a lonely few also-boughts down there. It could be.

That said, I did end up emailing Amazon Customer Service three times, and I would guess that they would've informed me of the position--unless all three of the responders (it was different each time) didn't scroll down to the bottom either.

Guy Riessen | website

Online MelanieCellier

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2018, 02:50:50 PM »
I don't think I did scroll to the very bottom (where the Also-Viewed are now). I always stopped at the bottom of the Reviews, or where the Reviews start. It's certainly possible that they placed a lonely few also-boughts down there. It could be.

That said, I did end up emailing Amazon Customer Service three times, and I would guess that they would've informed me of the position--unless all three of the responders (it was different each time) didn't scroll down to the bottom either.

Sadly I would never assume that first level Amazon customer service reps have much idea what they're talking about.

Interestingly, in case David is still following along and interested in the appearance of also-boughts, this morning I woke up and my also-boughts had properly appeared on the page, up the top where they should be. And when I checked, I'd just hit exactly 30 sales...

Melanie Cellier | Website | Facebook

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac