Author Topic: Uploading a new PDF with the same name as a previous PDF doesn't change contents  (Read 129 times)  

Offline CommonKindler

• View Profile
Hello.

I currently have a Kindle Paperwhite DP75SDI (7th Generation), which I like to use to read PDFs, aside from eBooks of course. To upload PDFs to the Kindle, I simply connect it with a USB cable to my computer and drag-and-drop it to the "documents" folder.

My problem is the following. I previously had uploaded a PDF file called "Schedule" from my computer to the Kindle, and everything was normal. It could open and read it. Some time later, I made some changes to my plans, so I deleted the old "Schedule" PDF file from my computer and created a new PDF with the same name "Schedule" on my computer with my new schedule plans. I proceeded to delete the old "Schedule" PDF file on my Kindle, and afterwards I uploaded the new "Schedule" PDF file to the Kindle through a USB cable. When I tried to read the new "Schedule" PDF on my Kindle, the Kindle would only display my old "Schedule" PDF file's contents, and I had previously made sure that the new "Schedule" PDF, when opened on my computer, it displayed the new and correct schedule contents.

Curiously enough, by only changing the name of the new "Schedule" PDF file to "Schedulessss" on my computer, and then uploading it to the Kindle via USB cable, opening the new "Schedulessss" PDF file on the Kindle will display the new and updated contents.

Other checks I made included copying the new "Schedule" PDF file inside my Kindle drive and pasting it on another location on my computer. When I opened it, it displayed the updated and new schedule contents. Another check was that I assumed a copy was being stored in memory, so I restarted the Kindle and opened the new "Schedule" PDF file, and the problem still remained.

Is anyone else having this problem? I'd be glad to read your replies to see if this is a problem with my Kindle in particular, or is it a common problem that affects Kindles in general. Any solutions to this problem is also greatly appreciated.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
I know for content purchased from Amazon, a new version won't overwrite the old version unless Amazon have pushed it with some sort of code to indicate it's a new version. I will occasionally get a notification that something I own has been substantially changed and there's an update. I have my account set so they'll automatically push 'minor' updates, but there are some that I have to manually go and re-send.

I suspect it works similarly with side-loaded content. I think that when you 'delete' something from the kindle you really just delete the 'how to find it' info. That's why uploading the new one, with the same name, finds what was there already and doesn't bother to overwrite. So, I don't think it's a 'bug' it's just the way it works. :)

To get it to overwrite you could try doing a restart in between. Or a reset (to factory settings) but that will remove EVERYTHING. Easiest thing is just to be sure the new file has a different name.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 04:49:34 AM by Ann in Arlington »

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline CommonKindler

• View Profile
I know for content purchased from Amazon, a new version won't overwrite the old version unless Amazon have pushed it with some sort of code to indicate it's a new version. I will occasionally get a notification that something I own has been substantially changed and there's an update. I have my account set so they'll automatically push 'minor' updates, but there are some that I have to manually go and re-send.

I suspect it works similarly with side-loaded content. I think that when you 'delete' something from the kindle you really just delete the 'how to find it' info. That's why uploading the new one, with the same name, finds what was there already and doesn't bother to overwrite. So, I don't think it's a 'bug' it's just the way it works. :)

To get it to overwrite you could try doing a restart in between. Or a reset (to factory settings) but that will remove EVERYTHING. Easiest thing is just to be sure the new file has a different name.

Oh I see, nice observation. The restart option didn't work either. I guess unless someone goes in-depth into Kindle's operating system there's no way to truly tell what it does behind the scenes, and asking Amazon's customer service didn't help much. Did you experience this same behavior with your Kindle with PDF files?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 10:35:36 AM by CommonKindler »

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
Oh I see, nice observation. The restart option didn't work either. I guess unless someone goes in-depth into Kindle's operating system there's no way to truly tell what it does behind the scenes, and asking Amazon's customer service didn't help much. Did you experience this same behavior with your Kindle with PDF files?

Can't say: I've never really used PDF files on the kindle. Most are formatted for 8 1/2 x 11 and are, for me, impossible to read on the kindle screen. The few I have used are ones that I didn't need to ever update, so . . . .

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR