Author Topic: Preoders to be Released 5,10, and 50 Years from Now...  (Read 594 times)  

Offline MissingAlaska

• View Profile
Preoders to be Released 5,10, and 50 Years from Now...
« on: January 03, 2018, 08:31:19 AM »
While browsing upcoming SciFi releases on Amazon, I noticed a trend of pre-orders being placed 5,10, and even 50 years from now. Presumably buyers won't have to wait that long.

Is this just the latest way to get your book to the top of a list?  I had to scroll through several pages of books to get to ones being released in the next few weeks. Should Amazon limit pre-orders to within 6 months or some other time period?

This feels scammy to me.

Author of historic and futuristic fiction
Michael S. Nuckols | Webpage

Online Lydniz

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Credentials
Re: Preoders to be Released 5,10, and 50 Years from Now...
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 08:43:57 AM »
As far as I'm aware you can only do a three-month preorder on Amazon right now.

Offline RBN

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 10:00:31 AM »
As far as I'm aware you can only do a three-month preorder on Amazon right now.

For KDP. "Real" publishers have no such limitations, and I've seen listings as far out as 2099. I don't see how it benefits them, but I know it pushes a lot of books that are legitimately "coming soon" off the displayable results.

Offline MissingAlaska

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 12:12:38 PM »
For KDP. "Real" publishers have no such limitations, and I've seen listings as far out as 2099. I don't see how it benefits them, but I know it pushes a lot of books that are legitimately "coming soon" off the displayable results.

One more way the playing field is tilted against indies. I should have figured... Ugh.

Author of historic and futuristic fiction
Michael S. Nuckols | Webpage

Offline dcswain

• View Profile
    • Author Website:
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 12:28:00 PM »
I *think* KDP is the only platform where the preorder period is so short. I had a quick play on D2D and there is nothing stopping you entering a publishing date in 2099 - though the platforms you publish to might reject it... I didn't try direct with my iTunes account. GooglePlay and IngramSpark also let me enter publishing dates in 2099.

Other than a potential marketing gimmick, I can't see the point of such a long delay. Though it does remind me of the John Malkovich film 100 years that won't be released until 2115, 100 years after it was made -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_Years_(film)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 12:44:47 PM by dcswain »

DC Swain | Author Website

Offline Carol (was Dara)

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 12:36:04 PM »
Though it does remind me of the John Malkovich film 100 years that won't be released until 2115, 100 years after it was made (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_Years_(film))

Although I've never heard of this film and don't know anything about it, all of a sudden it bothers me that I'll never get to see it. 

Offline dcswain

• View Profile
    • Author Website:
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 12:44:31 PM »
Although I've never heard of this film and don't know anything about it, all of a sudden it bothers me that I'll never get to see it. 
That's what cryogenics are for  :P :P :P

DC Swain | Author Website

Offline kw3000

• Rocky Mountains
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 05:26:58 PM »

I've already seen it, but I can't tell you how.  :-X

Ken Ward

Offline solo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 05:38:49 PM »
While browsing upcoming SciFi releases on Amazon, I noticed a trend of pre-orders being placed 5,10, and even 50 years from now. Presumably buyers won't have to wait that long.

Is this just the latest way to get your book to the top of a list?  I had to scroll through several pages of books to get to ones being released in the next few weeks. Should Amazon limit pre-orders to within 6 months or some other time period?

This feels scammy to me.

I guess "real" publishers have a ton of covers for such pre-orders. 50 years? That's one way to avoid liability. Could also be a marketing strategy against KDP books. Crude, but it does clutter the marketplace. I hope Amazon will do something about it.