Author Topic: Great Q&A with author couple who grossed $900,000 in 2017  (Read 1683 times)  

Offline SophiaQuinn

• View Profile
Great Q&A with author couple who grossed $900,000 in 2017
« on: January 03, 2018, 03:29:21 PM »
Hi everyone!

I saw this Q&A on the eroticaauthors subreddit and thought it'd be of interest to folks here. Lots of good insights about best practices for self-publishing, promo, etc. (and not exclusive to that genre)

https://www.reddit.com/r/eroticauthors/comments/7nwda7/ama_were_a_husbandwife_team_who_grossed_900000/
Impossiby Yours Whiskey Creek Book 1: 31%

Offline S. C.

• View Profile
Re: Great Q&A with author couple who grossed $900,000 in 2017
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 03:45:00 PM »
Interesting, thank you!

S. C. Scott | Facebook

Offline Lady TL Jennings

• Oxfordshire, UK
    • View Profile
    • My Secret Quill
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 10:38:10 PM »
Thanks for sharing!  :)
Lady T. L. Jennings ~ Writing 19th century Victorian Oh-la-la and Romance in longhand, since 2011

http://www.mysecretquill.com

Offline sophia ann

• England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 02:25:22 AM »
Thanks for sharing! Really interesting stuff :)

sophia stafford

Offline BJAllan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 03:07:48 AM »
Thanks! This was very insightful.

I liked that they touched on the sacrifice involved in having a $900k year. They mentioned that they didn't spend much time with each other, nor as much with their children as they would have liked. It's something I've been pondering - how to meet writing goals while still giving your family the time they need. I suspect it's a lot easier to neglect your partner when they're working towards the same goal and neglecting you in turn!

Offline SophiaQuinn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 03:56:44 AM »
I liked that they touched on the sacrifice involved in having a $900k year. They mentioned that they didn't spend much time with each other, nor as much with their children as they would have liked. It's something I've been pondering - how to meet writing goals while still giving your family the time they need. I suspect it's a lot easier to neglect your partner when they're working towards the same goal and neglecting you in turn!

That was what struck me too! I can't imagine teaming up with my SO to do this kind of work...it's crazymaking enough on my own. I'd rather let him do his own thing  ;)

Offline Talia Vines

• California
    • View Profile
    • Talia Vines
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 07:53:34 AM »
Thanks for sharing!

Offline Nathan Elliott

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 02:58:38 PM »
Thanks for the link!

Offline RobMartin

• New York
    • View Profile
    • Robert Martin Writes
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 04:19:21 PM »
Interesting. I love my wife, but we'd probably kill each other if we had to work together.

Offline Squeakers

• Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 06:34:32 AM »
Thank you for sharing! I read through it and it was helpful.

For those saying they might kill/maim/harm their spouse if they worked with them: I used to think the same thing. Now however, I do work with my fiance (regular full-time day job). We each look at things in a different way. I am more out of the box and he is more detail focused. Combined we make a great team and come up with some interesting solutions for our clients.

We make it work simply because at work we are 2 different people. We are our professional selves. At home we are more relaxed and our true selves. We don't take work home and we don't take home issues to work. I understand this wouldn't work for most people, and we often hear the same things said here. "How can you work with your spouse?" "He/She would drive me crazy if I was with them that much!" etc. But, we've been working with each other for well over 6 years now (been together longer than that), so something's working for us. We can understand the stresses, the joys, the highs, and the lows that each of us go through unlike anyone else who is not in our line of work.

Would all of that relay to writing? I don't know. This could be completely contained to the work we do now. But these two have clearly figured it out with each other. Which is awesome for them. I wouldn't mind trying to write with my spouse if he was at all interested in doing so. Right now though, he has zero interest, and that's ok.

Book 1: 13%

Book 2 (was 1): 76%

Offline SophiaQuinn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 07:46:36 AM »
Thank you for sharing! I read through it and it was helpful.

For those saying they might kill/maim/harm their spouse if they worked with them: I used to think the same thing. Now however, I do work with my fiance (regular full-time day job). We each look at things in a different way. I am more out of the box and he is more detail focused. Combined we make a great team and come up with some interesting solutions for our clients.

We make it work simply because at work we are 2 different people. We are our professional selves. At home we are more relaxed and our true selves. We don't take work home and we don't take home issues to work. I understand this wouldn't work for most people, and we often hear the same things said here. "How can you work with your spouse?" "He/She would drive me crazy if I was with them that much!" etc. But, we've been working with each other for well over 6 years now (been together longer than that), so something's working for us. We can understand the stresses, the joys, the highs, and the lows that each of us go through unlike anyone else who is not in our line of work.

Would all of that relay to writing? I don't know. This could be completely contained to the work we do now. But these two have clearly figured it out with each other. Which is awesome for them. I wouldn't mind trying to write with my spouse if he was at all interested in doing so. Right now though, he has zero interest, and that's ok.

That's awesome. My SO and I do collaborate on some non-work projects (but similar deadlines, output, stress) and I do think that it's made our relationship stronger. But my writing is just so...mine that I'd have a hard time giving up any control (to him or to anyone else!). I don't even think I could co-author a book...yet.

Offline Squeakers

• Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 09:35:30 AM »
That's awesome. My SO and I do collaborate on some non-work projects (but similar deadlines, output, stress) and I do think that it's made our relationship stronger.

I feel the same. I think us working so close together has made our relationship stronger as well.

But my writing is just so...mine that I'd have a hard time giving up any control (to him or to anyone else!). I don't even think I could co-author a book...yet.

I agree with this too lol. While right now I may say I wouldn't mind undertaking the challenge, the reality may be a lot different. I too, am very controlling over my writing. So I might have a hard time relinquishing that.

Book 1: 13%

Book 2 (was 1): 76%

Offline Desmond X. Torres

• Kingston, Ontario Canada
  • Transplant from The Bronx to Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 11:51:05 AM »
Michelle and I have been side by side in this FT since 2013 and we wouldn't change a thing. As I'm in the office w/ the dogs snoring on the floor (feeling like Stephen King's author pic in On Writing LOL!) she's down the hall at the dining table working on a promo.

Having common goals, and two heads to consider options is awesome.
Especially when she has such a fantastic person to work beside! LOL
I haven't read the article yet, (Tom Fincham sent it to me), but I will be going thru it, fer shure.
Crawley House: A tale of The Hauntings of Kingston

If you're new and need some guidance on setting up Mailchimp, I have a thread on it here at Kboards:http://www.kboards.com/index.php?topic=165780.msg2374500#msg2374500

Offline Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
  • Storyteller and Cat Minion
    • View Profile
    • Ineti Press
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 12:24:51 PM »
Thanks! This was very insightful.

I haven't read the article yet, but I imagine if my spouse and I managed to tough out a $900k year or two, we could retire and then spend all the time together we wanted making up for that 'lost' year. :D

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac