Author Topic: What in the world is this? New rate coming at KDP?  (Read 12958 times)  

Offline Atlantisatheart

• View Profile
Re: What in the world is this? New rate coming at KDP?
« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2018, 10:04:41 AM »
It should be;

70% for 2.99 and above not in KU
70% for 2.99 and above exclusive
50% for .99 - 2.98 exclusive
35% for wide and KU .99 and above.

Why should exclusives get another raw deal? If you want wide and KU that's cake and eat it territory. 35% is good enough because you'll be getting page reads.

Edited to add to $
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 10:13:42 AM by Atlantisatheart »

Online WasAnn

• I is me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 11, 2018, 10:06:17 AM »
*pours everyone drinks*

They were probably testing something and accidentally rolled it out. That's an error. No conspiracy here.

My thoughts: the 50% is either for books over $9.99 (Kobo's been really pushing for authors to price their books higher, so this move makes sense), or for authors who want to be in KU without exclusivity.

Either way, nothing's happening yet.

Again, it showed up only for the pricing option of between 2.99 and 9.99. So no, it's not for over or under. Whatever this is, no one enters that kind of elaborate coding to change a dashboard and all the calculations behind it by accident. Yes, we saw it by accident, but that's a whole other matter.

Whatever it is, it's coming.

Online Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #127 on: January 11, 2018, 10:29:30 AM »
Again, it showed up only for the pricing option of between 2.99 and 9.99. So no, it's not for over or under. Whatever this is, no one enters that kind of elaborate coding to change a dashboard and all the calculations behind it by accident. Yes, we saw it by accident, but that's a whole other matter.

Whatever it is, it's coming.
Since the coding was obviously not complete, the fact that it only showed for books between 2.99 and 9.99 doesn't necessarily indicate that it will only be applicable to those.

At the risk of sounding like an old man, over the years I've learned that there is little point in worrying over things I can't control--particularly if I don't have any idea what they are. This could mean anything from Select authors getting a higher royalty rate (exclusivity brings a higher royalty rate in ACX, after all), to their being a new option for non-exclusive KU, to their being a higher rate for books at $2.99 and higher that still avoids delivery charges. There is little point in losing sleep over something that could end up being good, bad, or indifferent, depending on one's situation.

The simple truth is none of us know for sure what Amazon is up to. Yes, past experience would suggest that Amazon isn't probably going to create a markedly better deal for us, but circumstances keep changing. The more dominant Amazon becomes in the ebook market, the less room it has to expand still further in that market without running afoul of antitrust law. Something like requiring exclusivity of all authors to get the 70% rate, while it's possible, is less likely for a player with 80% of the market than it would be for one with a smaller share precisely because it could more easily be painted as anti-competitive. Amazon has also shown itself in the past to be averse to bad press. While it's true that things that happen to indie authors are not usually big news, I can see a substantial royalty cut as a possible exception.

Of course, I could be wrong. We'll know soon enough.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline KelliWolfe

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2018, 11:26:37 AM »
Amazon has also shown itself in the past to be averse to bad press.
People keep saying that as if it was universal. It isn't. Amazon gets plenty of bad press about their business practices, especially their treatment of vendors/suppliers and employees. Has it ever made them do anything to change those practices, other than perhaps keeping them a bit lower profile? The only time Amazon cares about bad press is if it is something that gets a lot of play in front of their customers, like back in 2009 when they got caught pulling a bunch of LGBT books off the sales charts and outrage exploded all over the internet. A few thousand authors taking a pay cut isn't the kind of thing that's going to receive the kind of media attention to get enough people riled up to matter.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 11:29:25 AM by KelliWolfe »

Olivia Blake | Lessons in Love

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2018, 12:28:43 PM »
Looks like a few things are being tested right now, which lends some weight to the notion the 50% option is coming, although its anyones guess what for.

Someone spotted an option called Bid+ on the AMS screens (its been removed now just like the 50% option was taken down). The logic was cute.

* You enable Bid+ for your ads.
* AMS will increase your bids by up to 50% to appear on the top carousel of sponsored ads.
* The enabled option isnt done by ad, but for all sponsored ads.
* Which means getting the prime position on the top carousel will cost you 50% more than you bid.

Hmm, for anyone using AMS (I gave up on it in early 2017), I guess the ROI is about to get even worse.

Looks like lots of changes are on their way.  :o
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 12:37:28 PM by TwistedTales »

Offline notjohn

• View Profile
    • Notjohn's Self-Publishing Guide
« Reply #130 on: January 11, 2018, 12:53:03 PM »
One of the regulars on the KDP Community forum posted this:

Rather than speculate, I sent a message to Amazon asking what this was about.

I received the following email this morning from them:
I'm following-up with you regarding the issue with the royalty option for your book. I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you about this.
I raised your issue to our technical team and now they have confirmed that an additional royalty plan option briefly appeared in KDP on January 9. This was an error and we apologize for any confusion. None of our KDP royalty terms have changed, including for KDP Select.

However, I'm sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused and would like to thanks for the patience while we resolved this issue.
Thanks for bringing this to our attention! We will investigate this problem further and do whatever possible to avoid it in future.
Thanks for using Amazon KDP.
Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: http://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

Offline KelliWolfe

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 11, 2018, 01:04:28 PM »
I raised your issue to our technical team and now they have confirmed that an additional royalty plan option briefly appeared in KDP on January 9. This was an error and we apologize for any confusion. None of our KDP royalty terms have changed, including for KDP Select.
Yes, it was an error. Someone screwed up and either modified a production file or stuck a development file into their production build script. Oopsie. But you don't "accidentally" insert code like that into a web form. It's in development now - we just weren't meant to see it yet.

Olivia Blake | Lessons in Love

Offline Marian

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 11, 2018, 01:14:42 PM »

I must admit I still buy a lot of things from Amazon.  (I have regular subscribe and save items, for example, though I don't just shop for random things as much as I used to.)  Lately I'm wondering whether it's better NOT to buy from Amazon.  The USA doesn't seem interested in much antitrust work lately, so I wonder if it's something people have to take into their own hands by actively not buying at a place to lessen its market grip.

I do like buying things at Amazon, though, and I like that they're helping keep the post office running, which is really important for our infrastructure.

I wasn't going to post on this thread until I read your comment about the post office. As it happens, the post office is running at a HUGE deficit. Amazon gets a bulk shipping rate from the post office that US taxpayers subsidize. Those of us who are tax-paying US citizens are literally helping Amazon run their business as cheaply as they can. It's another win for Amazon. If the US wanted to start reducing its huge deficit, a start would be doubling the bulk mail rate. Unfortunately, it would hurt magazines, but we wouldn't get as many catalogs that we throw out.

Online Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #133 on: January 11, 2018, 01:42:27 PM »
People keep saying that as if it was universal. It isn't. Amazon gets plenty of bad press about their business practices, especially their treatment of vendors/suppliers and employees. Has it ever made them do anything to change those practices, other than perhaps keeping them a bit lower profile? The only time Amazon cares about bad press is if it is something that gets a lot of play in front of their customers, like back in 2009 when they got caught pulling a bunch of LGBT books off the sales charts and outrage exploded all over the internet. A few thousand authors taking a pay cut isn't the kind of thing that's going to receive the kind of media attention to get enough people riled up to matter.
How the press might react to something is unpredictable. Sure, Amazon's conflict with big publishers and Apple, for example, got lots of coverage, not all of it favorable by any means. Amazon stuck to its guns because it could prove collusion, and it won in court. Notice that Amazon then let the individual publishers have the agency pricing model they wanted later on, when each one carefully approached individually. Did it like agency pricing any better then? No, but it's early attempts to drag out those negotiations were getting negative press. So there's an example of Amazon shifting course (not just keeping a lower profile) in response to potentially negative publicity, even though how much it was affecting the attitudes of Amazon customers could well be debated.

You might well argue that big companies will get more press than we ever could, and you could be right. However, there's only so much public sympathy that will be generated by Big Bad Amazon beating on...little Apple? Little Random House? No one's exactly going to weep for any of the big guys--except maybe their stockholders. On the other hand, Big Bad Amazon beating up on little authors might be attractive from a public sympathy standpoint, which means someone might pick it up.

Yes, Amazon employees might have attracted sympathy, too, but during the storm over working conditions, I saw a lot of interviews from employees claiming conditions at Amazon were no worse than at any comparable company. For instance, there was quite a bit of discussion that Amazon's warehouses weren't great to work in--but neither were warehouses in general. The press coverage ended up being very complex and by no means universally negative. I'm not sure Amazon could spin cutting authors with equal ease. We'll just have to see.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Seneca42

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 11, 2018, 03:44:44 PM »
* AMS will increase your bids by up to 50% to appear on the top carousel of sponsored ads.
* Which means getting the prime position on the top carousel will cost you 50% more than you bid.

Hmm, for anyone using AMS (I gave up on it in early 2017), I guess the ROI is about to get even worse.

My strategy for 2018... find an angel investor group, bid $10 a keyword, spend $200k in ads, be #1 on zon. Then I'll pop into kboards and act chill and say it's cuz i have a good cover and blurb.

But I'm throwing down the gauntlet... $10 a keyword, let's see you people keep up with that! You're going to have to get 3 full time jobs just to afford AMS ads  ;D

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 11, 2018, 03:56:56 PM »
My strategy for 2018... find an angel investor group, bid $10 a keyword, spend $200k in ads, be #1 on zon. Then I'll pop into kboards and act chill and say it's cuz i have a good cover and blurb.

But I'm throwing down the gauntlet... $10 a keyword, let's see you people keep up with that! You're going to have to get 3 full time jobs just to afford AMS ads  ;D

Dont wait too long to implement your plan. Once Bid+ is released thatll be $10 plus 50% per keyword or your ad will be buried where the sun dont shine.  :o

PS. To make that ROI work youll need to charge $50 a book, or have 5 billions page reads a month. Plan accordingly.  :P

Offline Seneca42

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 11, 2018, 04:15:26 PM »
I wasn't going to post on this thread until I read your comment about the post office. As it happens, the post office is running at a HUGE deficit. Amazon gets a bulk shipping rate from the post office that US taxpayers subsidize. Those of us who are tax-paying US citizens are literally helping Amazon run their business as cheaply as they can. It's another win for Amazon. If the US wanted to start reducing its huge deficit, a start would be doubling the bulk mail rate. Unfortunately, it would hurt magazines, but we wouldn't get as many catalogs that we throw out.

I can't mention names, but someone did tweet about the post office and amazon recently.  :P

Online TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
  • Aussie in the 27th century.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #137 on: January 11, 2018, 05:40:00 PM »
Why should exclusives get another raw deal? If you want wide and KU that's cake and eat it territory. 35% is good enough because you'll be getting page reads.

No, it's not!

You're ignoring the fact KU CANNIBALIZES sales.

When I left KU, my sales improved 80%.

So, first thing is you lose 80% of your sales, then you get paid 35% instead of 70% for the sales left over, and then page flip takes away 50% of your reads.

Page reads do NOT replace sales royalty. The rate being paid now with page flip culling the reads, is less than a sale at the 35% rate, for full reads.

How is this good enough?

If they were to fix page flip, page reads still dont pay anywhere near a sale. Never have.

Offline Atlantisatheart

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 11, 2018, 07:38:57 PM »
No, it's not!

You're ignoring the fact KU CANNIBALIZES sales.

When I left KU, my sales improved 80%.

So, first thing is you lose 80% of your sales, then you get paid 35% instead of 70% for the sales left over, and then page flip takes away 50% of your reads.

Page reads do NOT replace sales royalty. The rate being paid now with page flip culling the reads, is less than a sale at the 35% rate, for full reads.

How is this good enough?

If they were to fix page flip, page reads still dont pay anywhere near a sale. Never have.

I think the sweet spot for pages x pay at the moment is a 3.99 book with 600 KU pages, over that and you're in profit.
But, I do agree that the page flip, and other issues need to be sorted out.

Nobody is going to force people that are wide into KU, so it's a matter of weighing up the pros and cons as now.

But, that would all be a moot point if they bring this new AMS bidding system in because I've done extensive testing with AMS ads over the past year and if you're not in it then amazon is as good as dungeoning your book to anyone except your following. I think people won't be able to compete at those higher price points, it's a struggle for a lot of people now, and more of us will take the leap to go wide with our books anyway. Amazons greed with AMS is destroying KU.

Offline Atlantisatheart

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 11, 2018, 07:47:55 PM »
Looks like a few things are being tested right now, which lends some weight to the notion the 50% option is coming, although its anyones guess what for.

Someone spotted an option called Bid+ on the AMS screens (its been removed now just like the 50% option was taken down). The logic was cute.

What I'd like to know is who is regulating all of this? Amazon can't even calculate page reads, so who is to say who is bidding against who, and that it's not just AI plucking a random number out of its backside.
Is there a regulator that looks at how many e-widgets are being sold and people being paid the right amount of money on non-physical products?
Who is making sure amazon aren't skimming?
I don't think I'll use AMS when they bring this in, it's already a nasty surprise sometimes at how much you have to pay when the data takes so long to filter through.

Offline MelanieCellier

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 11, 2018, 10:53:19 PM »

Did the Bid+ glitch they saw actually explain all that, or is that your guess about what Bid+ might mean? Because it doesn't make sense to me. If you want to pay 50% more to appear on the first page, can't you just up your bid by 50% now? How is this any different than just putting in a higher bid in the first place?

Melanie Cellier | Website | Facebook

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 11, 2018, 11:15:11 PM »
What I'd like to know is who is regulating all of this? Amazon can't even calculate page reads, so who is to say who is bidding against who, and that it's not just AI plucking a random number out of its backside.
Is there a regulator that looks at how many e-widgets are being sold and people being paid the right amount of money on non-physical products?
Who is making sure amazon aren't skimming?
I don't think I'll use AMS when they bring this in, it's already a nasty surprise sometimes at how much you have to pay when the data takes so long to filter through.

In theory, companies use independent auditors to prove their numbers can be trusted. Its a bit of a vague wave at integrity. In reality, the auditors are another company flogging their auditing services, so theyre not truly independent. They dont check underneath reports other than to supposedly assess the processes are in place to produce accurate numbers. Ive worked with companies where auditors have signed on the dotted line, stating their numbers are good, but the processes and systems have been so deeply flawed key financial data hasnt been reliable.

So, your question is valid. In the past I would have said Amazon are big enough to have the right checks and balances in place to fix any numbers through reconciliation. Having lived under their madcap regime and researched a little more, it appears they slap up a new idea on a shoestring budget, and assume the prototype style systems will hold up through a rapid expansion. Hmm, that never works. Transactional data isnt usually lost in that its captured somewhere, but it can fail to be allocated, or is allocated more than once, or gets stuffed in a holding account never be found again, etc. That kinda thing really does happen and some poor data analyst, whos given limited training or time to analyze the bazillions of transactions from a system under perpetual change, ends up make expedient decisions. The business area responsible for the data has no idea whats been done to make it look right, so the auditors are assured the processes are robust. (There have a been a few case studies, like Enron, where this flawed game has been surfaced.)

Without a doubt that situation happens more often than any company will openly admit. Amazon are unlikely to be intentionally skimming, but Id give them 99% chance of getting processes and therefore the numbers wrong. It all comes down to the integrity of their data capture, allocations and reconciliations, but I wouldnt be surprised if thats flaky as all heck. Theyre large, multi serviced, they rapidly change services, theyre continuously adding new staff, theyre expanding global ops, they value new ideas more than getting old ones working well. Hmm, what are the odds a company with that profile has robust, well designed, and bullet proof transactional processing? So close to zero its not worth arguing.

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 11, 2018, 11:25:12 PM »
Did the Bid+ glitch they saw actually explain all that, or is that your guess about what Bid+ might mean? Because it doesn't make sense to me. If you want to pay 50% more to appear on the first page, can't you just up your bid by 50% now? How is this any different than just putting in a higher bid in the first place?

I found the reference on the KDP forum. According to them, they found the following explanation on AMS help. They were asking where they could find Bid+. Its possible the person is an insane lunatic that made this up, but itd be an odd ruse because they cut and paste the following text they found in the help section.

What is Bid+?

Bid+ is a feature of Sponsored Products that helps you increase the opportunity to display your ads in the TOP placement (top row of search result pages). When Bid+ is turned on, Amazon will increase the maximum CPC bid by up to 50% for all your ads that are eligible to appear in the highest traffic placements at the top of Search results. You can select the Bid+ option with one click in the Sponsored Products Manual Campaign Settings tab.

Where is the Sponsored Products TOP placement?

The TOP placement is the one that shows sponsored products ads in the top row of the search result pages. You can differentiate these sponsored products from normal search results by looking at the Sponsored label right above the product title.

In answer to your question about the logic. In the last few weeks or so, AMS have put two sponsored ad strips on our pages. Bid+ lets you bid for the first strip on the page. I did wonder how that was going to work. Every strip has up to 100 or so pages, so just putting the highest to lowest bid on strip one and then filling strip two wouldnt make sense. It would have meant lower bids than everyone in strip one would end up in prime position on strip two (ie the first page on the strip).

Im inclined to believe the above cut and paste is for real. Id post the link, but Im not sure if it allowed.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 12:01:50 AM by TwistedTales »

Offline MelanieCellier

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 12, 2018, 12:58:17 AM »
I found the reference on the KDP forum. According to them, they found the following explanation on AMS help. They were asking where they could find Bid+. Its possible the person is an insane lunatic that made this up, but itd be an odd ruse because they cut and paste the following text they found in the help section.

What is Bid+?

Bid+ is a feature of Sponsored Products that helps you increase the opportunity to display your ads in the TOP placement (top row of search result pages). When Bid+ is turned on, Amazon will increase the maximum CPC bid by up to 50% for all your ads that are eligible to appear in the highest traffic placements at the top of Search results. You can select the Bid+ option with one click in the Sponsored Products Manual Campaign Settings tab.

Where is the Sponsored Products TOP placement?

The TOP placement is the one that shows sponsored products ads in the top row of the search result pages. You can differentiate these sponsored products from normal search results by looking at the Sponsored label right above the product title.

In answer to your question about the logic. In the last few weeks or so, AMS have put two sponsored ad strips on our pages. Bid+ lets you bid for the first strip on the page. I did wonder how that was going to work. Every strip has up to 100 or so pages, so just putting the highest to lowest bid on strip one and then filling strip two wouldnt make sense. It would have meant lower bids than everyone in strip one would end up in prime position on strip two (ie the first page on the strip).

Im inclined to believe the above cut and paste is for real. Id post the link, but Im not sure if it allowed.

Good gracious, how long before customers are driven from our product pages completely because they can't find the product among all the ads ::)

Melanie Cellier | Website | Facebook

Online Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
« Reply #144 on: January 12, 2018, 01:41:54 AM »
Good gracious, how long before customers are driven from our product pages completely because they can't find the product among all the ads ::)

Quite  :o ::).

Non-fiction, Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Offline loraininflorida

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 12, 2018, 01:48:02 AM »
There's a blog post on it dated August 2016 that says:

Sponsored Products Bid+ is a beta feature currently available to select advertisers to increase the opportunity to display ads in the top placement (aka the top row of search result pages).

Another one dated April 2016 says that to get Bid + "go to the campaign settings and under Advanced Settings, select On from the Bid+ drop-down menu. Let the campaign run for about the same time period as it did without Bid+."
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 01:52:31 AM by loraininflorida »

Lorain O'Neil

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 12, 2018, 01:57:11 AM »

I think there are multiple reader profile types. Some are high volume readers and theyre mostly in KU, others buy a book a month either from indies or TPs. Then there are variations in reader interest. Based on the top 100 cats it appears the high volume reader prefers predictable tropes in niches. The sale only reader seems to prefer more variety.

You pick your market in this game and, based on what I see advertized on AMS, the books are mostly predictable tropes/content mill type books. To be honest, thats not a market that ever interested me. Now the mail list groupies have merged with the content mills that market will become progressively more stitched up, so the small independent writer will struggle to be seen even if theyre in KU.

Dont get me wrong, targeting the sale only reader who wants a bit of variety is not easy, and I dont waste my marketing budget using AMS to find them. I suspect theyre being trained not to look at the ads on a page, or at least not to buy from them. The way the game has been set up thanks to KU, you really need to look for your sale only reader outside of Amazon. Ive been doing that for a year now and it works better than using AMS.

More so than ever, I think everyone needs to grasp the market segmentation and which one theyre writing for. Just because Amazon skewed their site to make it look like only one segment is doing well doesnt make it true. I have long believed there is a small pool (compared to the overall book market) of hardcore, high volume KU downloaders (because they arent sales), who are being serviced by content mill style writers (which is now being formalized into a small number of high volume content mill publishers who largely buy ghostwriter output). Furthermore, I dont believe that market segment is profitable so Amazon are clawing back a lot of the subscription fees and more through AMS. The problem is that it can quickly become a zero sum game where you pay just as much to be seen as you earn through page reads. That margin is already being squeezed so I imagine eventually youll be lucky to breakeven.

If that was your game and youre a small independent then youre probably in a shedload of trouble right now. If you werent servicing the high volume (and quite frankly non profitable) KU reader then you need to look outside of Amazon for your readers. They wont change their reading tastes just because Amazon smother their site in ads for content mill books, so even though they might take a look at those books, theyll buy what interests them.

Im not trying to say one game is better than the other, but as a small independent writer, Im very happy I didnt chase the KU reader.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 02:01:20 AM by TwistedTales »

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 12, 2018, 01:59:22 AM »
There's a blog post on it dated August 2016 that says:

Sponsored Products Bid+ is a beta feature currently available to select advertisers to increase the opportunity to display ads in the top placement (aka the top row of search result pages).

Another one dated April 2016 says that to get Bid + "go to the campaign settings and under Advanced Settings, select On from the Bid+ drop-down menu. Let the campaign run for about the same time period as it did without Bid+."

Given the reference to the two strips of sponsored ads, which is very new, it looks like theyre getting ready to go live with it. I must admit, Id never heard of Bid+ before, which is why it caught my attention. It makes sense something like this would be needed now there are two strips for sponsored ads.

Offline Annie B

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #148 on: January 12, 2018, 02:38:21 AM »

What ads? I have adblock on... and I imagine a lot of people use it, too...

Online Lydniz

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Credentials
« Reply #149 on: January 12, 2018, 02:46:13 AM »
What ads? I have adblock on... and I imagine a lot of people use it, too...

I use Adblock, and I still see all the sponsored ads on Amazon.