Author Topic: What in the world is this? New rate coming at KDP?  (Read 12959 times)  

Offline kw3000

• Rocky Mountains
    • View Profile
Re: What in the world is this? New rate coming at KDP?
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2018, 10:25:18 PM »
If they're going down this path, then self-publishing as a business is dead.

Maybe not for the volume producers? Maybe under that dreaded royalty scenario the only viable self-publishing career path left would be the mastermind assembly-line method? But meh...I don't want to get all doom and gloom when we don't really know anything. Maybe it's good news on the horizon as opposed to a dystopic wasteland. The white russian's half full.  8)

Ken Ward

Online kcmorgan

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2018, 10:40:08 PM »
I've seen enough from Amazon to be blowing in a paper bag waiting for the shoe to drop.

Online KelliWolfe

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2018, 10:41:11 PM »
If they're going down this path, then self-publishing as a business is dead.

But I'm still not convinced they have anywhere near the power we think they do. All they are is a distributor. So yes, if everyone distributes with them and hands them exclusivity, then they have power. But if the content all flocks somewhere else, then they don't. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy... everyone believes they have power, hence because of that they do have power.

Anyway, the irony may be that it will be the TP's who stand up to zon; because the indies sure haven't.
Of course they have that much power. They control something like 80% of the ebook market. The other distributors essentially handed it to them on a silver platter. Everyone who put their books into KU (including me) exacerbated the problem. Where else is the content going to flock? If you aren't in Select, odds are that your books are already wide. There's nowhere to flock to. If Amazon does this your options are:

1. Suck it up and eat the 30% loss
2. Pull your books from Amazon in protest
3. Pull your books from the other distributors and enroll them in Select

I don't see any other choices. A few will go with option #2, but not many because Amazon is too big a percentage of their monthly income. It'll probably be 50/50 between 1 and 3. The people still struggling to gain traction wide will just enroll in Select and be done with it. The ones doing reasonably well wide will stick with that because they'd potentially lose more losing sales on the other distributors than they'd gain going exclusive with Amazon. For the ones who pull their books, Amazon doesn't care. They don't care about your books. To Amazon books are interchangeable widgets. Whether they sell 10,000 books by AnnieB a month or 10,000 books by some group of other authors doesn't matter to them in the least. They're still going to sell those books, which is all they care about, because they control the customers.

Realistically, how many of your readers would switch reading platforms to buy your books if you left Amazon completely? How many of your readers are true fans, and how many would just look for similar books by another writer because they do pretty much everything online through Amazon and don't want to bother moving to something else? Come on, be honest.

As for the tradpubs saving us, anyone remember what happened to Hachette? Macmillan? Yeah, don't count it. Besides, they don't play in the same sandbox we do, either in the store or in KU.

Olivia Blake | Lessons in Love

Online SummerNights

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2018, 11:02:47 PM »
And... just like that, it's gone.

Maybe Amazon reps do read these boards  :P ;D

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2018, 11:19:59 PM »
Speculation is sort of pointless, but if Amazon pay sale only books 50%, then Ill raise my prices by about $1.50 (I charge $5.99 now and am planning to take it up to $6.99 sometime this year anyway) and Ill adjust some of my budgets in marketing (take them down a bit, but not by much). Ill also run split ad campaigns to promote iTunes specifically, whereas right now I use my Amazon link on ads and let the iTunes buyers look up my books. So, it would call for a few changes, but I can pass the cost to Amazons customer.

But is that what Amazon are doing? Are they doing anything? I suppose if it were up to me Id be trying to scrape back some more of that KU subscriber money, so Id offer 50% for books sold while in KU, after all theyre already benefiting in so many other ways that theyre unlikely to leave and they cant push back by promoting Amazons competitor. I gather a lot of authors earn up to 90% of their money through KU reads, so taking 50% on royalties wouldnt be enough to drive them out, and Amazon get to scrape back a bit more cash.

But as I said, speculation is kinda pointless.

Offline M R Mortimer

• Australia
  • SF writer
    • View Profile
    • Suspended Earth - Official site of M R Mortimer
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2018, 11:25:11 PM »
Wouldn't it be nice if you could elect 50% in return for Amazon marketting your product to buyers?

Yeah, I know, never going to happen. I just wanted to throw a potential nice outcome in amongst the gloom!
Novels available now:
|

Australian Science Fiction and Fantasy Author
M R Mortimer | Author Web Site Facebook Page | Twitter Page | Fantasy Series

Offline AaronShep

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2018, 11:50:09 PM »
Could be 50% without download fees.

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2018, 12:03:44 AM »
Could be 50% without download fees.

They snuck that download fee in without even making an announcement. If they cut sales royalties to 50%, combined with the download fee, theyre taking around 55%. All the more reason to start heavily promoting on the other platforms like iTunes and google.

Online Gentleman Zombie

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2018, 12:08:13 AM »
And... just like that, it's gone.

Maybe Amazon reps do read these boards  :P ;D

My guess is that it's something that isn't ready for prime time yet.  We weren't supposed to see it... but it does make you wonder about what might be in the works.

Offline Mark E. Cooper

• Essex, England
    • View Profile
    • Impulse Books UK
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2018, 12:40:37 AM »
Just to add to the speculation, maybe 50% for those in KU who do not want to be exclusive. Thats a total wish-fulfillment guess, by the way.

I REALLY like your Style, Amanda. Good one. It could be 50% for expanded distro (print only of course). Amazon did mention it's coming, and they have a habit of "accidentally" foreshadowing these sorts of changes.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 12:45:59 AM by Mark E. Cooper »

Offline A.R. Williams

• Virginia
  • SF & Fantasy Writer
    • View Profile
    • A-R-Williams.Com
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2018, 12:44:17 AM »
Maybe they'll split the 2.99 - 9.99 payment in half.

2.99 - 5.99 = 50% royalty.

6.99 - 9.99 = 70% royalty.

Most Indies do not price over 4.99. This will allow them to make more if indies check and more if they raise. Either way, the house always wins.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 12:46:43 AM by A.R. Williams »

Offline A.A

• When I grow up....
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2018, 12:49:08 AM »
My vote for the 50% would be for non-KU exclusivity. Anything else would cause mayhem.

Offline RD

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2018, 12:50:51 AM »
My first hope when I saw the thread title was that exclusive KDP users were getting a 50% 99 cent incentive.

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
  • Aussie in the 27th century.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2018, 03:27:12 AM »
3. Pull your books from the other distributors and enroll them in Select

If Amazon do not fix Page Flip, and something like this forces me back into KU, I will be redoing all my books to have a graphic over the chapter title, which asks the reader to not use the pop up screen to read by, because in KU, the author isn't paid. That will be 60 to 80 very low quality graphics in each book, all with the same message.

Having read so far, I'd say this is more likely to be something to do with paperbacks, as Amazon absorbs Createspace completely.

If Amazon wants me back in KU, all they need to do is fix page-flip so I get paid for every page read.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 04:33:01 AM by TimothyEllis »

Offline Vaalingrade

• View Profile
    • The Descendants
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2018, 03:51:53 AM »
People are noticing the carrots are rotten, so now comes the stick.

AKA: Vaalingrade | Twitter: @ParadoxOmni [I mock the mockable]
The Descendants - An Original Bronze Age Superhero Web Serial

Offline Atlantisatheart

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2018, 03:57:33 AM »
You've gotta love Amazon, they accidentally 'leak' something and then sit back and see what authors say before deciding whether to go ahead with it or not, or adjust their strategy accordingly. Or could it be that they're deflecting from something else? Look here, something shiny - slaps us around the back of the head with a wet kipper.

Online T. M. Bilderback

• Friday the 13th comes on a Tuesday this month.
    • View Profile
    • T. M. Bilderback's Website
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2018, 04:21:03 AM »
Right now, Google Play, Apple, and Kobo are more of my income than Amazon.

If the rate for indies goes from 70% to 50%, I'll be one of the boycotters. Might even see about pulling my "Jack Daniels And Associates" World story, too.

T. M. Bilderback | Newsletter | Facebook

Online GeneDoucette

• View Profile
    • Gene Doucette's Blog
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2018, 04:48:19 AM »
I could absolutely see them offering a 50% tier for authors who wanted books in KU and also wide.

Offline she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2018, 05:20:12 AM »
Who knows what this means? Amazon probably doesn't even know for sure. All I can be sure of is that some will like it, some won't, some won't care because it doesn't affect them or the big selling-authors they know. Personally, it's probably going to knock the wheels out from under me, as such things do. Thanks, Amazon.
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Online Lydniz

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Credentials
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2018, 05:25:01 AM »
I could absolutely see them offering a 50% tier for authors who wanted books in KU and also wide.

That would be great, but I can't see how it could possibly benefit Amazon.

Offline Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2018, 06:00:01 AM »
That would be great, but I can't see how it could possibly benefit Amazon.
More books available in KU would benefit Amazon. When I'm not reading ARCs, I pretty much get all my reading material from KU.

Online Lydniz

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Credentials
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2018, 06:16:37 AM »
More books available in KU would benefit Amazon. When I'm not reading ARCs, I pretty much get all my reading material from KU.

But they've expended such a huge amount of energy on their exclusivity policy that I can't see them abandoning it wholesale like that. Not that I don't live in hope.  :)

Online GeneDoucette

• View Profile
    • Gene Doucette's Blog
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2018, 06:18:39 AM »
But they've expended such a huge amount of energy on their exclusivity policy that I can't see them abandoning it wholesale like that. Not that I don't live in hope.  :)

I think they need to improve the quality of selection in KU. Making it possible for authors who succeed wide to also put their books in KU would be a way to do that. They already allow trad pubs to do it.

Offline Simply_J

• Northeast US
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2018, 06:36:26 AM »
As fantastic as this discussion is, and as much as I would like some increase in royalties, as optimistically imagined by some of us.

So far, the only pricing that states 50% on Amazon, is Kindle Scout 50% eBook royalty rate.

https://kindlescout.amazon.com/help?topicId=AP72QR5GUKEQS

Offline Anna Drake

• View Profile
    • Anna Drake
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2018, 06:40:47 AM »
I've seen enough from Amazon to be blowing in a paper bag waiting for the shoe to drop.

Me, too.

Anna Drake | Website | Twitter | Amazon | Facebook