KB Featured
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: What in the world is this? New rate coming at KDP?  (Read 11393 times)  

Online Seneca42

• View Profile
Re: What in the world is this? New rate coming at KDP?
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2018, 09:45:47 AM »
It should be pointed out that even if we are cut to 50% for being non-exclusive, we'll still make more money per copy sold than if we had a traditional publishing contract.

except TP is paying for your cover, editor, has an existing marketing channel, maybe an advance, PR support, you're open to submit to industry awards, etc.

I'm no fan of TP, but they bring something to the table for their cut.

Online Amanda M. Lee

• Listen to me, you will.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2018, 09:48:42 AM »
But that forces us to accept exclusivity with Amazon at the outset, and that is something I have strongly resisted from the beginning.

The only way to punish a business that has hurt you financially is to take your business elsewhere. So, releasing on the other platforms first before Amazon does exactly the opposite of what they wanted with KU. The problem is, non-exclusive independent authors would have to do this in significant enough numbers that Amazon cannot ignore them.

By checking Amazon's payouts and page-read counts each month, I found that if I went with KU I would only be making 50% of what I am making now in sales. By forcing non-exclusive independents to accept a lower payout, Amazon reduces their costs by forcing them to accept the same pay they would get if they were in KU.

Instead of punishing non-exclusive independents for not taking part in KU, they should be incentivizing KU to lure us in.
I don't know what to tell you. Amazon isn't out to reward anyone and everyone will have to make decisions for him or herself in that instance. This is all conjecture and could turn out to be nothing. BUT, I think it would make a lot more sense for most authors to do it the way I described rather than the way you described if they want more money.

Amanda M. Lee

Offline WDR

• Massachusetts
  • To boldly split infinitives
    • View Profile
    • Official Website of William D. Richards
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2018, 09:52:52 AM »
For the record, I have a very weak position in all this.

99.5% of all my sales come from Amazon sales. If Amazon were to drop the share from 70% to 50%, I'm looking at a 29% decrease in my income right off the top. So pulling my books from Amazon would be quite a stretch.

In the end, I think the only thing I could do is increase my price from $4.99 per book to $6.99 per book just to maintain my income. That's a helluva price jump for consumers who are already struggling to pay the bills. Reading books is supposed to be an escape from the daily troubles of life, not become another financial burden.
Aggadeh Chronicles Book 3: Oracle: 11%
William D. Richards | Official Website | A Writer's Chronicles | Patreon

Online Mercia McMahon

• London
  • living in the Shadow of pulp speed
    • View Profile
    • Mercia McMahon
« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2018, 09:54:21 AM »
I would think its much more likely that 50% would be like 70% but without the download tax. This would not only encourage box sets, but also more comics, manga, illustrated non-fiction, and children's story books.

Mercia McMahon | Author Site | Publishing Site | Pinterest

Online Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2018, 10:12:49 AM »
except TP is paying for your cover, editor, has an existing marketing channel, maybe an advance, PR support, you're open to submit to industry awards, etc.

I'm no fan of TP, but they bring something to the table for their cut.
That's absolutely correct--but the mileage varies a lot depending on which publisher we're talking about and how valuable the author is to them. An A list author with a big five publisher is going to do very well, even at a lower royalty rate. Almost any other combination makes it harder to tell. Even a lot of midlist big five authors have a hard time making a living at it. I think the last Author Earnings Report that addressed the subject suggested that twice as many indie debut authors were making a living at it as TP authors did.

As for small publishers, I checked a number of them out some time ago, and they almost all had books doing no better than mine. Even then, I would have saved on editing, cover design, etc., but I would have ended up selling about the same and getting a lower royalty rate, so I probably would have lost money in the long run.

What is the ebook royalty rate for TP authors these days? A while ago I remember considerable agitation among TP authors because so many of them were only making 25% on ebooks. I read somewhere that the norm early on was 50% but that it had dropped fairly quickly (except for A listers).

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2018, 10:17:47 AM »
That was very thorough!

Are we really sure about how the KU pot is calculated? I've seen people use the same math that you're using, which seems to presuppose that Amazon makes nothing on KU itself. Is that an assumption, or is there evidence? Assuming you're correct, I would also assume that the greater variety (and quality) of books might increase the number of subscribers. That would be particularly true if the content mills would have a harder time retaining their current position. The current situation isn't good for us, for Amazon, or for KU subscribers.

It's true that it's hard to predict what people will do. If I were wide and really didn't like KU at all (as many people don't), then I'd stay out of it, especially if I were doing well with Amazon sales. If I were in KU and also selling enough to make me happy, I might not risk the royalty cut to try wide unless the vast bulk of my income was KU. It's possible that Amazon might try something like this, and it would make very little difference.

I dont think any of us know how that pot is calculated. Ive always assumed its based on whatever the KDP pet hamster pooped that month multiplied by a number they pulled out of a hat, but I could be wrong.  :P

I think many of us have enough insight into KU to know wed rather take 50% than put up with Amazons nonsense for an extra 20%. Dont get me wrong, people might well sign up for a while, but nothing is ever static so they might not stay when the KU borrows dont pay enough.

The thing that kills me about the content mills is theyre making money from a subset of high volume KU readers. Im sure Amazon pay a heck of a lot more than $10 a month to the authors based on the page reads of that type of KU reader. It means the content mills are taking control of the top 100 cats based on readers that Amazon lose money on. That is so messed up.

So, while KU continues to have these sorts of problems, even if Amazon do something to force authors into KU, just how long would they stay?

Online Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2018, 10:29:47 AM »
So, while KU continues to have these sorts of problems, even if Amazon do something to force authors into KU, just how long would they stay?
I imagine we all agree that the best way for Amazon to make KU more attractive is to fix its obvious problems. Amazon has lost a lot of good authors because of the way the program has been run up to now.

Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline B

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2018, 10:41:48 AM »
If royalties for non-KU books changed to 50%, and they dropped the delivery fee, then these prices equal the same net royalty:

$2.99 becomes $3.87
$3.99 becomes $5.27
$4.99 becomes $6.67
$5.99 becomes $7.99

That's what I'd do. I'd probably even leave the odd numbers and explain to readers why I was doing it.

Offline Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2018, 10:44:41 AM »
Never got a chance to see it  :(

Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Online My Dog's Servant

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2018, 12:05:29 PM »
I probably shouldn't, but I'm still laughing from the suggestion up-thread that this might be due to a programming glitch that has nothing to do with KU, Amazon rates for indies, or anything else.

Whatever it is, we deal with it when we have to deal with it. That's all we can do.

(Though I just may break down and bake that batch of chocolate chip cookies I've been thinking about for the last few days. Any excuse to avoid healthier eating habits works for me!)

Offline Mercedes Vox

• View Profile
    • Mercedes Vox - Romance Provocateur
« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2018, 12:59:49 PM »
David Gaughran just reported on Twitter a few minutes ago that Amazon says it was "an error."
Romance provocateur. Manic stealth author. Fearless gourmet. An epicurean anarchist relentlessly in pursuit of a foolproof cure for ennui. Committed (thrice).
A multi-published hybrid author of romance, erotic romance, and erotica since 2008, Mercedes Vox writes short stories, novellas, and novels with characters running the gamut of human sexual orientation and gender identity. Mercedes resides in a quaint seaside town on Cape Cod with a loving partner and a small menagerie of bossy critters.
Mercedes Vox | Website | Twitter

Offline notjohn

• View Profile
    • Notjohn's Self-Publishing Guide
« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2018, 01:01:48 PM »
I see it, too. Where it gives the breakdown of royalty rates, delivery charges, and royalties, on books $2.99 and over (I don't have anything over $9.99, so can't speak for that). On mine, it says 50% n/a.

I find myself unable to be optimistic.

I'm not in Select/KU; maybe it's going to be an option for those who are. You can choose 50% instead of 35%. Or, the doomsayer in me wonders if they're going to make it so you have to be in Select to get 70% anywhere and those of us who refuse to get with the program are going to get dropped to 50%.

Ten minutes ago, I updated a price and did not see this option. Like you, i'm not in Select. But it seems that most posters on the KDP Community forum DON'T see the option, so I think it's still random.

It could be an interim step on the road to cutting the 70 percent royalty to 50 percent, without a download fee at least at first. Then in ten months or a year, we would be told that this new and exciting option has been so popular that we're making it the standard for everyone, to improve your publishing experience!

Or it could be punishment for those of us who prefer to see our books for sale on the Apple iBookstore, on Barnes & Noble, and at Kobo and lesser venues. At the present time we get 35 percent on IN and JP stores (and maybe some others?); there's no reason for that that I can see other than to poke a finger in the eye of those who prefer to be independent.

That outcome would make Mark Coker seem prescient for his sneer that Kindle Select authors aren't indies; they're depen-dies.
Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: http://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

Offline notjohn

• View Profile
    • Notjohn's Self-Publishing Guide
« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2018, 01:03:00 PM »
David Gaughran just reported on Twitter a few minutes ago that Amazon says it was "an error."

Oh, of course! An intern let her fingers get away from her!
Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: http://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

Online SummerNights

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2018, 01:04:42 PM »

I saw that, too. Not sure it was an error, but probably not something we'll see in the near future.

Online SummerNights

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2018, 01:05:22 PM »
Oh, of course! An intern let her fingers get away from her!

;D

Online Amanda M. Lee

• Listen to me, you will.
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 10, 2018, 01:13:15 PM »
I'm going to go on record and say the only "error" was that news spread before Amazon was ready to deal with it. It was probably a test for something down the line and they thought no one would notice ... and instead the opposite happened. Whatever it is, they are not going to tell us until they're good and ready. Reps are not going to let it slip. When Amazon decides to tell us, it will be in an email.

Amanda M. Lee

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 10, 2018, 01:16:00 PM »

Now we know something is up. Amazon never bother to comment or deny anything.   :o

Online Hope

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 10, 2018, 01:28:39 PM »
Now we know something is up. Amazon never bother to comment or deny anything.   :o

That's the truth!

Online Hope

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 10, 2018, 01:29:40 PM »
I'm going to go on record and say the only "error" was that news spread before Amazon was ready to deal with it. It was probably a test for something down the line and they thought no one would notice ... and instead the opposite happened. Whatever it is, they are not going to tell us until they're good and ready. Reps are not going to let it slip. When Amazon decides to tell us, it will be in an email.

I agree with this.

Online Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 10, 2018, 01:31:12 PM »
Actually, Amazon has attributed things to errors in the past. Either way, we'll just have to wait and see.

Online Bob Stewart

• View Profile
    • Street Car Mysteries
« Reply #95 on: January 10, 2018, 01:35:28 PM »

Never Believe Anything Until It Is Officially Denied...  ;)

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2015/08/07/believe/

Offline Bards and Sages (Julie)

• New Jersey
  • Her Royal Sithiness
    • View Profile
    • Bards and Sages Publishing
« Reply #96 on: January 10, 2018, 01:37:31 PM »

Yeah, I can't imagine someone "accidentally" coded in an entirely new line with a specific new royalty amount. I'm no code expert, but I struggle to come up with an innocent scenario where that happens as an "error."

Writer, Publisher, Game Designer, Resident Sith
Julie Ann Dawson | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | eFesitival of Words

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 10, 2018, 01:42:20 PM »
Actually, Amazon has attributed things to errors in the past. Either way, we'll just have to wait and see.

Lol. Its ok to think about possible scenarios, but not worth worrying about anything until something happens. I must admit Im surprised if Amazon said anything official about this so-called error. Its not like them to bother burying speculation.

Online Mary Crawford

• Because love matters, differences don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 10, 2018, 01:48:13 PM »
I suspect this might be an error - just like page flip is a software glitch...  Just sayin'

Mary Crawford | website | facebook

Offline Joseph J Bailey

• View Profile
    • Joseph J. Bailey - Author
« Reply #99 on: January 10, 2018, 01:49:17 PM »
I didn't read the whole post but the 50% option (if it ever comes back from the "error" stage) could be a response to Google's 50% payment level, particularly for lower priced books.

Although I doubt Amazon would give us more money for lower priced books, it would certainly be nice!

Joseph J. Bailey | Website | Facebook | Goodreads