Author Topic: Good sources of Urban Fantasy stock photos?  (Read 557 times)  

Online Nicholas Erik

• View Profile
Good sources of Urban Fantasy stock photos?
« on: January 11, 2018, 09:48:05 AM »
If anyone has a good source of reasonably priced urban fantasy stock photos that allow for commercial use (e.g. FB ads), that'd be great. Burning through my own custom images at a prodigious rate, here, and don't want to spend $30 - $50 per image when I end up having to throw at least half of them out because they don't perform (nature of PPC). Any suggestions are welcome.

Can be illustrated, too, but don't know if such a service exists.

EDIT: just to be clear, I'm using these for Facebook Ads (and maybe BookBub Ads), not book covers. Hence why I'm looking for something cheap ($1 - $10, preferably). A lot of the suggested sources are great for book covers and finding a model in a paranormal pose that hasn't been overused to death. But they're still pricey for cycling through ad images. Sorry that wasn't clear to begin with.

Nick
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 10:55:28 AM by Nicholas Erik »

Offline SuzyQ

• lions and teegers and bears oh MY
    • View Profile
Re: Good sources of Urban Fantasy stock photos?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 10:35:15 AM »
They exist, but you have to dig! I would just check the big stock houses. I personally don't run a lot of ads though. I use stock for covers generally speaking.

Offline mike h

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 10:37:36 AM »
if all else fails, check out http://www.cgsociety.org/gallery
Browse the images, click on the persons name in the upper right hand corner and then contact  them to see if they will allow you to use their image. You never know. They are mostly freelance trying to make a buck off of their talents.

Offline Issy

• England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 10:41:44 AM »
Try the new guys in town - Neo Stock - I've had a few from here and yes, they are pricey but there are some free samples too. https://www.neo-stock.com/

$25 a pop and you will need to manipulate them - they can't be used "as is"; they're for designers.

Offline Evenstar

• UK
  • YA and PNR
    • View Profile
    • Author Website
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 01:44:59 PM »
Have you checked out Crello? It's almost exactly the same as Canva but it has much better UF images, and they're generally only a $  ;D

Derek Murphy has a video on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRgu1WKcu4U
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 01:47:13 PM by Evenstar »

Online WasAnn

• I is me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 04:00:13 PM »
Try the new guys in town - Neo Stock - I've had a few from here and yes, they are pricey but there are some free samples too. https://www.neo-stock.com/

$25 a pop and you will need to manipulate them - they can't be used "as is"; they're for designers.

Neo-Stock is awesome sauce and they're doing new shoots all the time. Plus, if you communicate what you'd like to seem more of (and enough other people do too) they'll do it!

Online Nicholas Erik

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 08:07:31 PM »
Thanks for the Crello recommendation. I'll check that out. Neo-Stock definitely has nice images, but I think for ads, $25 + the amount of photo-manip to make them ready is going to be too much of an investment. But for a book cover, definitely.

Nick

Offline she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 04:21:51 AM »
That link for Crello might have something useful, though I don't think it would work for book covers (though I didn't check out all cats). I love Neo Stock, hoping to be able to get some things from there in the future. I wonder what could be done with their free samples? I don't like to sign up to things unless I know what I'm getting.
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Offline Melody Simmons

• View Profile
    • Bookcoverscre8tive
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 10:00:38 AM »
Check my premade covers if you want stuff that's already done...

https://bookcoverscre8tive.com/premade-book-covers-urban-fantasy-paranormal-romance/

Maybe higher than your price range but hey - it takes time and talent to do!

Online Nicholas Erik

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 10:53:34 AM »
Check my premade covers if you want stuff that's already done...

https://bookcoverscre8tive.com/premade-book-covers-urban-fantasy-paranormal-romance/

Maybe higher than your price range but hey - it takes time and talent to do!

Thanks, Melody - I commented in your thread, and I'll say it again - those are very nice. And if anyone needs a custom look for a premade price, that would be my first stop.

I'm using these for ads, though, so while $90/ea is cheap for a cover, it's pricey for an ad! That's why I'm looking for stock photos - if they're $1, or even $10, I can test way more images than I can while I'm paying $30/a pop.

Nick

Offline FridayRaccoon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 11:16:27 AM »
Have you checked unsplash.com? It is free stock photos, but the downside is that their search isnt too great. So you might end up taking quite some time to try different keywords.
Someone made a collection called urban fantasy here : https://unsplash.com/collections/535181/cyberpunk-urban-fantasy-aesthetic

Also there are free photos on pixabay and pexels.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 11:18:50 AM by FridayRaccoon »

Offline Melody Simmons

• View Profile
    • Bookcoverscre8tive
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 08:34:20 PM »
Thanks, Melody - I commented in your thread, and I'll say it again - those are very nice. And if anyone needs a custom look for a premade price, that would be my first stop.

I'm using these for ads, though, so while $90/ea is cheap for a cover, it's pricey for an ad! That's why I'm looking for stock photos - if they're $1, or even $10, I can test way more images than I can while I'm paying $30/a pop.

Nick

Oh I see...Mmmm....never really heard of UF stock photos except those of stock models used for designs.