Author Topic: KDP Select vs Other Vendors  (Read 498 times)  

Offline NatTHill

• View Profile
    • TaiLorMade Books
KDP Select vs Other Vendors
« on: January 11, 2018, 05:25:51 PM »
I do believe that success is what you make it, however, I would like to know if an author is losing opportunities by going kdp select if they have several titles

Tailormade Books
Nataisha T Hill | Facebook | Tailormade Books | Google

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns."
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: KDP Select vs Other Vendors
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 06:22:25 PM »
That's a decision each must make on their own. There are tons of posts and discussions on here about the pros and cons of each. And results vary widely from genre to genre. Currently, all 15 of my novels and my non-fiction are in KU and some would say I do pretty good.

Your best bet is to simply look at the top 20 in the genre you write in and see how many of those are in KU.
NINC President-Elect. My Amazon Bestselling, twelve-volume Jesse McDermitt Series and the spinoff,  four-volume Charity Styles Series, also Amazon Bestsellers, are available in ebook, audiobook, and paperback, with many more exciting adventures to come. In my motivational non-fiction, Blue Collar to No Collar, I provide tips, advice, and strategies for new authors, and is also available in the same formats. Don't forget to visit the Ship's Store for Jesse McDermitt swag.
Semper Fi,
Wayne Stinnett | Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Amazon Author Page | Motivational Videos | Down Island Press | Ship's Store Swag

Offline kw3000

• Rocky Mountains
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 06:42:14 PM »
Definitely a personal decision, but I think you can make hay either way. Have a search through the kboards archives, there's plenty of advice to mine on how to do well both in KU and wide. Good luck.  8)

Ken Ward

Offline Seneca42

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 06:48:31 PM »
Your best bet is to simply look at the top 20 in the genre you write in and see how many of those are in KU.

None of the top 20 on kobo or itunes are in KU  :P

Offline she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 04:42:08 AM »
Yeah, Wayne does all right. :D

As noted, it's something you're going to have to decide for yourself. Research books like yours, see how they're doing on other sites as well as in KU. You can see their ranks, look at reviews and so on. This is basic work for any question you may have about writing.

For new authors, without a lot of books, or money to promote, KU can build a reader base. Sometimes a book just doesn't "hit" with KU readers, though. If there aren't many pages read, it might be wise to try going wide, but know you will have to bring readers to your books wherever they are. There are no magic solutions.
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Offline solo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 07:35:18 AM »
Yeah, Wayne does all right. :D

As noted, it's something you're going to have to decide for yourself. Research books like yours, see how they're doing on other sites as well as in KU. You can see their ranks, look at reviews and so on. This is basic work for any question you may have about writing.

For new authors, without a lot of books, or money to promote, KU can build a reader base. Sometimes a book just doesn't "hit" with KU readers, though. If there aren't many pages read, it might be wise to try going wide, but know you will have to bring readers to your books wherever they are. There are no magic solutions.

I agree. For a newbie like me, I don't think I can compete for reader attention like other authors who are way ahead, with years of experience under their belt. I don't even understand how effective marketing works (All I do is look for exposure placements in the 20 to 50 dollar range). More than that is too expensive for me right now. My KU is doing a lot better than ebook paid downloads. I think it's a 70-30 split. Though right now, everything is a new experience for me (recently learned about the 30 and 90-day cliffs in sales. LOL).

Is there any benchmark for KU reads per book? Same as with paid ebook sales? Even for motivational fun? Loved the badges thread.

Offline NatTHill

• View Profile
    • TaiLorMade Books
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 08:24:42 AM »
Thanks for the helpful advice! I write in different genres and I've read how different authors from these different genres have had successes and failures. I put a few books in kdp select and set the others free. My main focus at this point is exposure! You can have the Best romantic thriller book in the world, but if no one is willing to try your book, it's dust on the shelf!

Tailormade Books
Nataisha T Hill | Facebook | Tailormade Books | Google

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns."
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 03:01:53 PM »
None of the top 20 on kobo or itunes are in KU  :P

Of course not. They can't be. But, some genres on Amazon have higher and lower numbers of KU books available. A simple glance at the top 20 in my genre tells me in about five seconds that all of them are in KU. In fact, the highest ranked wide book in Sea Adventures is #39 and there's only 18 wide book in all of the top 100, and they are all trad pubbed. But, another five second scroll through British Romance shows only four KU books. So, if I were writing in that genre, I'd probably go wide from the start.

Something my dad told me half a century ago, "To succeed at anything, do what successful people do." It's something I live by.
NINC President-Elect. My Amazon Bestselling, twelve-volume Jesse McDermitt Series and the spinoff,  four-volume Charity Styles Series, also Amazon Bestsellers, are available in ebook, audiobook, and paperback, with many more exciting adventures to come. In my motivational non-fiction, Blue Collar to No Collar, I provide tips, advice, and strategies for new authors, and is also available in the same formats. Don't forget to visit the Ship's Store for Jesse McDermitt swag.
Semper Fi,
Wayne Stinnett | Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Amazon Author Page | Motivational Videos | Down Island Press | Ship's Store Swag